• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Z Comp Optics, heard of them? SHOT Booth N451!

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2004
Lafayette IN, USA
Their two offerings look good overall, and I like the reticle designs. Features seem decent, though I haven't noticed any mention of a zero stop yet (though I'm admittedly still looking everything over on their site).

Glass is supposed to be Schott. No history or credentials/qualifications for anyone or the company posted on the site that I can find yet, and they're using a 36mm main tube... Hope they've got a deal cut with a known quality manufacturer for rings, or else they're gonna be in for a rough ride selling these things!

I don't know yet if they'll be at SHOT, I'm messaging them to see if they are and at what booth, if so. Anybody wanna stop by if they're there? :)

http://www.zcompoptic.com

Everything seems to be there. PVA just announced they'll be carrying them i believe.

Reactions: Basher
Just noticed that they’re located in the same city as Nightforce. Any relation? Maybe former nightforce guys? Just guessing.

Wow, looks nice. Really like the reticle, and really like the space between clicks when looking through the gallery photo's. That spacing is usually tight on a 15MIL/turn knob. Rings and price are the 5 meter target..

Yeah, they replied on Facebook and said ARC and Spuhr have 36mm rings/mounts. I'm interested now, but still want more info/creds.

They'll be at SHOT in booth N451. Somebody check 'em out and report back!

Yeah, they replied on Facebook and said ARC and Spuhr have 36mm rings/mounts. I'm interested now, but still want more info/creds.

They'll be at SHOT in booth N451. Somebody check 'em out and report back!
Will do. Looks very interesting, I'm intrigued with the turrets

Reticle was quality too. 2/10th hashes and 1/2 Mil denotations on the horizontal line.

Yeah, I'm liking what I see quite a bit. I've got my mind set on an AMG for now, but this could sway me once I see a review after it's been hashed over some. Definitely interested in what anybody can tell us after seeing them at SHOT!

Looks like a blend of Nightforce and Kahles to me...I will be waiting to hear reviews/impressions from SHOT.

Reactions: trophyhunter
Jeff Huber of ZCO used to be the big dog at Nightforce USA. He led them from obscurity, way back into the mid-nineties, when they had just one scope, through around 2014 (?). Next, he was with Kahles here in the States, and tremendously improved their market share in just a few year's time.

He knows what he's doing.

I see a little Tangent Theta styling in there, too.

Yeah, I'm liking what I see quite a bit. I've got my mind set on an AMG for now, but this could sway me once I see a review after it's been hashed over some. Definitely interested in what anybody can tell us after seeing them at SHOT!

If priced right i'd definitely be willing to try it out, otherwise sort of set on the AMG as well for the EBR7B. Though The mag ranges on both these optics seem great.

Jeff Huber of ZCO used to be the big dog at Nightforce USA. He led them from obscurity, way back into the mid-nineties, when they had just one scope, through around 2014 (?). Next, he was with Kahles here in the States, and tremendously improved their market share in just a few year's time.

He knows what he's doing.

I see a little Tangent Theta styling in there, too.

Excellent. This just keeps getting better the more I learn!

Dang, another shorty design with the 4-20x50 at 12.8", is this going to be another Tangent Theta with prices through the roof or will they be able to offer these in the premium $2k class? MSTN, where did you see Jeff Huber was involved? If that is truly the case then these truly may be some scopes to be reckoned with. Definitely can see some Kahles design elements in this and to be honest, this scope excites me a lot more than the Kahles K318i, but with one huge problem, the 36mm tube as others have mentioned. ZCO is of course justifying this by saying it was needed for unparalleled performance; however, that performance is yet to be proven so we'll see. However, given that this is an "Ultra Short" design it is not too surprising, but my expectation here is that CA will be as good as Vortex AMG, Schmidt, March and maybe even Minox ZP5 and Tangent Theta level. This might just be the new company I've been looking for, but unless ZCO is going to do a direct to consumer style of selling similar to Revic I'm not sure they can keep the prices low. One things for sure, having Jeff Huber on the team is a definite plus, and if the price is right (under $2500, preferably around $2000) then even with having the pain of buying 36mm rings this new ZC420 is more exciting than the Kahles K318i; however, if the price is near Tangent Theta/K318i levels then the 36mm rings are going to be a detriment. Here's some specs to see the ZC420 compared to the Kahles K318i and compared to the Schmidt Ultra Short 3-20x50.

ZCOvKahlesvSchmidt.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, price will be a huge factor. I can find AMGs in the low $2k mark all day long. I'd consider spending more if this thing justifies it, but we'll have to see.

Everything about it looks good to me... minus that 36mm tube. Hopefully it translates to real tangible benefits.

So Jeff Huber is involved with the company? Who's running Kahles USA then?

Good question. I'm still waiting on more info from the company directly.

My approach here is likely to be one of waiting for reviews to pop up and prices to stabilize. If everything checks out, it'll go on my next build. For now, I'll likely stick with a "lighter" weight build and stick with an AMG. That's still a little ways out even, so things coukd change in the mean time. But this looks like a VERY promising new line if they can meet all that their site seems to promise, and do so at a $2,000-2,500 price point.

??? 36mm main tube? On the plus side, I like the low(er) profile turrets and their reticles look good.

Everything about it looks good to me... minus that 36mm tube. Hopefully it translates to real tangible benefits.

Kahles USA was integrated into Swarovski North America a bit over a year ago and Jeff was sorta kicked to the curb. I was wondering what he has been up to.

I'll go chat with him on Tuesday. Jeff knows all the OEMs and knows what it takes to bring a good product to the market. He was instrumental in making NIghtforce what it is and growing Kahles brand in the tactical world when he ran Kahles USA. I am sure he will do some interesting things with this new venture.

ILya

Kahles USA was integrated into Swarovski North America a bit over a year ago and Jeff was sorta kicked to the curb. I was wondering what he has been up to.

I'll go chat with him on Tuesday. Jeff knows all the OEMs and knows what it takes to bring a good product to the market. He was instrumental in making NIghtforce what it is and growing Kahles brand in the tactical world when he ran Kahles USA. I am sure he will do some interesting things with this new venture.

ILya

Please do keep us posted, as your thoughts on the two optics ZCO offers would definitely be welcomed!

Didn’t think I’d see any surprising news at SHOT this year with regards to optics.

This ones got me very interested!

Shoulda went to SHOT. :/

Please someone update us on these scopes. :)

Dang, another shorty design with the 4-20x50 at 12.8", is this going to be another Tangent Theta with prices through the roof or will they be able to offer these in the premium $2k class? MSTN, where did you see Jeff Huber was involved? If that is truly the case then these truly may be some scopes to be reckoned with. Definitely can see some Kahles design elements in this and to be honest, this scope excites me a lot more than the Kahles K318i, but with one huge problem, the 36mm tube as others have mentioned. ZCO is of course justifying this by saying it was needed for unparalleled performance; however, that performance is yet to be proven so we'll see. However, given that this is an "Ultra Short" design it is not too surprising, but my expectation here is that CA will be as good as Vortex AMG, Schmidt, March and maybe even Minox ZP5 and Tangent Theta level. This might just be the new company I've been looking for, but unless ZCO is going to do a direct to consumer style of selling similar to Revic I'm not sure they can keep the prices low. One things for sure, having Jeff Huber on the team is a definite plus, and if the price is right (under $2500, preferably around $2000) then even with having the pain of buying 36mm rings this new ZC420 is more exciting than the Kahles K318i; however, if the price is near Tangent Theta/K318i levels then the 36mm rings are going to be a detriment. Here's some specs to see the ZC420 compared to the Kahles K318i and compared to the Schmidt Ultra Short 3-20x50.
View attachment 6868560
Nick Gebhardt here, I'm one of the others involved with ZCO. Excellent comparison chart here. Please give us a bit longer on finalizing pricing, we are fully intent on being competitive in the market place.

For the turrets, ours give about 2.25 turn for a total of 35 mils total elevation. We do have a Return 2 Zero (R2Z) providing 0.5 mil below zero.

ILya

We look forward to seeing you again at SHOT!

Nick, thanks for joining the conversation! Stumbling across a post on you guys and your scopes on FaceBook has turned out to be a pleasant surprise that, as you can see, has garnished a good bit of attention. We're very much looking forward to learning more!

Any additional info you can share on the company, who's involved, and your backgrounds/experience?

Reactions: gebhardt02
Nick Gebhardt here, I'm one of the others involved with ZCO. Excellent comparison chart here. Please give us a bit longer on finalizing pricing, we are fully intent on being competitive in the market place.

For the turrets, ours give about 2.25 turn for a total of 35 mils total elevation. We do have a Return 2 Zero (R2Z) providing 0.5 mil below zero.

Introductory snipershide group buy? ;D

Nick, thanks for joining the conversation! Stumbling across a post on you guys and your scopes on FaceBook has turned out to be a pleasant surprise that, as you can see, has garnished a good bit of attention. We're very much looking forward to learning more!

Any additional info you can share on the company, who's involved, and your backgrounds/experience?
As already pointed out earlier in the thread, Mr. Jeff Huber is the lead on developing these rifle scopes. He's been involved in making significant advances in rifle scope design for many years. Most people in the high end rifle scope industry will recognize his name.

I've been working with Mr. Huber for the past three years or so, starting with being the importer/distributor for another well known rifle scope company. I do compete quite a bit but didn't do much this previous year. My competition background and keeping in touch with the precision rifle community is part of us offering the features on these scopes that we do. Locking E & W turrets, Return 2 Zero (R2Z we call it), easy reset turrets, large adjustment range, wide FOV, locking diopter, integrated Mag Change Lever, and more importantly reticle design.

There are other key people involved with extensive background such as our mechanical engineer who is absolutely brilliant being able to provide the features we wanted into a good looking scope. Low profile turrets for example.

We will absolutely hold very stringent standards! We know what people expect out of a high end scope. We will make sure ours are up to the task.

As already pointed out earlier in the thread, Mr. Jeff Huber is the lead on developing these rifle scopes. He's been involved in making significant advances in rifle scope design for many years. Most people in the high end rifle scope industry will recognize his name.

I've been working with Mr. Huber for the past three years or so, starting with being the importer/distributor for another well known rifle scope company. I do compete quite a bit but didn't do much this previous year. My competition background and keeping in touch with the precision rifle community is part of us offering the features on these scopes that we do. Locking E & W turrets, Return 2 Zero (R2Z we call it), easy reset turrets, large adjustment range, wide FOV, locking diopter, integrated Mag Change Lever, and more importantly reticle design.

There are other key people involved with extensive background such as our mechanical engineer who is absolutely brilliant being able to provide the features we wanted into a good looking scope. Low profile turrets for example.

We will absolutely hold very stringent standards! We know what people expect out of a high end scope. We will make sure ours are up to the task.

Awesome, just wanted to get some info from the horse's mouth, as it were. ;)

I can get over the 36mm tube pretty easily, especially knowing ARC and Spuhr have you covered. I've been comparing the specs between the AMG and the ZC527, and as long as the price is in range (not a nudge, I've seen you ask for patience in that area about a hundred times on the various FB posts, haha), I very well may go this route instead of the AMG! I won't notice the extra 10oz on a competition rifle, and the feature set looks amazing so far. Your MPCT2 reticle looks less cluttered, but just as useful. Perhaps the AMG will wait until I'm ready to build a lighter-weight hunting/"general purpose" rifle... :)

As mentioned earlier by HK Dave, I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering in the way if new optics products this year, but to say I'm surprised with ZCO's entrance onto the scene is an understatement. I'll keep my eyes peeled!

To my knowledge Christian Wildner is still top dog at Kahles. Though I want to say Wannenmacher, from Swarovski NA, is now running the sales and marketing of Kahles in U.S.

Reactions: hk dave
If in fact Josh at PVA is going to stock the Z Comp scope than it is almost assuredly going to be less than $2K. Josh just announced the the PVA John Hancock Rifle to be priced at $1995.00. Combine the JHR with the Z Comp and your under the $4k limit for PRS Production Division dollar limit.

I see no reason to believe that the JHR will not be up to everything else he has built. If that is the case, the ripples will be felt across the industry.

If in fact Josh at PVA is going to stock the Z Comp scope than it is almost assuredly going to be less than $2K. Josh just announced the the PVA John Hancock Rifle to be priced at $1995.00. Combine the JHR with the Z Comp and your under the $4k limit for PRS Production Division dollar limit.

I see no reason to believe that the JHR will not be up to everything else he has built. If that is the case, the ripples will be felt across the industry.
I'm pretty sure there was a thread on Facebook where Josh specifically said it would NOT be sub-$2k for pricing. Remember, the Production division is MSRPs, there are very few scopes at the level where the MSRP is anywhere near that low.

This announcement was the big shocker to me. I've been hoping for some Ultra Shorts to come from Vortex or US Optics and even Tangent Theta; however, to see them coming from EOTech, Kahles and now a new comer ZCO all in the same year, well that is outstanding. Given the pedigree of the folks involved at ZCO I am really excited to see more.

Nick, do you have any timeline on whether or not these scopes will be available in 2018 or are you still in R&D?

Reactions: 5RWill
im seeing a Minox / Tangent Infleunce , looking really good . great set of features , im hoping its not priced in the Tangent Theta Range as thats a little out of my budget . great to see more options out there in the Precision rifle world .

Hoping for 2500$ and under. I'll be an earlier adopter if so.

I'm beginning to think I may be in the same camp. If the quality and reliability is as high as NF and Kahles, they'll be winners at a $2,000-2,500 range! I'd have to save a bit or sell something else to swing $2,500 but I could make it happen.

Reactions: 5RWill
The credentials of Jeff and Nick speak for themselves, but the fact of the matter is they are a new company to the industry so hopefully the price will reflect that. They know the market well and it’s doubtful they’ll try and pull a Tangent Theta, at least not right away. A couple years ago I had a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 and outside of its optical issues loved that range. Then I got an Ultra Short 5-20 and loved that even more because of its wide FOV and superior optics. When Vortex announced the AMG I pleaded for them to build a short design but two years and nothing’s new on the AMG front and now ZCO comes along and introduces the very scope I’ve been hoping for. I have been burned before with early adopter on new designs, but knowing who’s behind ZCO I feel a bit more confident. The ZC420 and EOTech super short 5-25x50 are at the top of my list this year, but they have much to prove before they gain wide acceptance, but spec wise a very good start.

Nick, how do I get on a waitlist?

A couple of points: until we get a little more information, I would not draw too many conclusions regarding influence of other brands, pricing, etc

Knowing Jeff and Nick a little bit, I can confidently predict that the scopes will be well thought out. However, I would not speculate too much on anything beyond that until we know more.

I am a bit more interested in the 4-20x50, and in terms of esthetics, I like what I see. 15mrad per turn is not easy to integrate into a compact turret, so I am very curious to get my hands on it at SHOT. The market segment these scopes are likely going into is very saturated, so to play well in it, you have bring something different to the table. The two scopes we have the specs on look very well specified and have some of the visual clues shared by GSO designs. However, that may simply be a function of both companies going for particular ergonomics.

ILya

The credentials of Jeff and Nick speak for themselves, but the fact of the matter is they are a new company to the industry so hopefully the price will reflect that. They know the market well and it’s doubtful they’ll try and pull a Tangent Theta, at least not right away. A couple years ago I had a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 and outside of its optical issues loved that range. Then I got an Ultra Short 5-20 and loved that even more because of its wide FOV and superior optics. When Vortex announced the AMG I pleaded for them to build a short design but two years and nothing’s new on the AMG front and now ZCO comes along and introduces the very scope I’ve been hoping for. I have been burned before with early adopter on new designs, but knowing who’s behind ZCO I feel a bit more confident. The ZC420 and EOTech super short 5-25x50 are at the top of my list this year, but they have much to prove before they gain wide acceptance, but spec wise a very good start.

Nick, how do I get on a waitlist?

I don't know that I've ever been an early adopter or anything before. However, with ZCO being piloted by two gentlmen who appear to have an actual handle on the industry, and have experience to back it up, I'm more apt to give it a try for once. If the quality and support are as good as they claim, I'm sure that issues will be few and far between, and any that arise will be addressed quickly and professionally.

Anxiously awaiting video and initial impressions from SHOT!

Reactions: Glassaholic
For a new scope manufacturer, I think they came up with a very aesthetic looking scope, I see resemblances to TT and Kahles on some angles, but that's neither here or there - I think it looks good. Feature wise they seem to be throwing everything into it. Lifetime warranty on the mechanical side of the scope, and 10 years on electronics (illumination). Reticle choices look practical and not overly complicated and the rest of the specs look competitive. Illumination looks to be a rheostat type, similar to Kahles which I think is among the best out there.

Big questions everyone will be seeking answers to:

Does it track and hold true? Torture tests required...
How well does she handle CA compared to the other Alpha tactical scopes?
Price point? Get in around Vortex Gen 2 Razor territory and this will sell well if the above two points are met I would wager
And when will they be available?

I'm waiting on an MPA chassis to make its way down under and need a scope after recently purchasing an AMG Razor to go on a Konohawk stock. This bad boy could be on the cards if it will be available by mid-year...

Reactions: Glassaholic