• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ZA/Bighorn Origin - Proof Prefit - 300WM or 300PRC with 215+ Bergers

mjspeers

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2020
I've been trying do as much research as I can on an elk hunting build. I have used an Origin action and Proof prefit in the past on a short action and it turned out great. So I have the action wrench and tools to do it. I'm going to try to keep the weight down as much as I can but it doesn't have to be crazy. I'll probably go with a Manners stock and I will be reloading. I've worked up loads for a buddy's 300WM, which struggled to shoot the 215s but shot the 210s very well. I want to shoot at least 215g Berger.

I'd prefer a 300WM simply for potential ammo availabilities and it seems like components are cheaper, but if 300PRC is the only way to go, I'd do that too. I like to stay with established chamberings.

My biggest issue is which Zermatt action to go with. I really would prefer a BDL style for hunting. An Origin cannot take a Wyatt's box so it can get to 3.600", but with a CIP mag Ray says it can get to 3.850". The SR3 can take a Wyatt's length, but it'll cost about $400 more. Being as it is hunting rifle and I'm sure the Origin shoots better than I can, if I can get the length I need with the Origin that's what I would prefer. My other problem is that Proof prefits are different, I can't really buy a barrel to then measure the chamber.

I've been talking with Ray at Zermatt Arms. He's been super helpful, but he can only give me the specs of the actions.

I'm curious if anyone has done this type of build or has any first hand knowledge on the chambering of the Proof 300WM chambering and how long I may need to seat the Berger 215s to reach the lands? Can I safely get it done with an Origin or go with SR3? My other option is to just order the Origin and barrel for it, get my measurements, and see if I need to go with CIP DBM or can get to lands with BDL.

I imagine there are things that I may not be thinking through or am missing. So I appreciate any help/suggestions.

I have a 300 prc build on an origin that is waiting on a manners stock. I have the proof barrel and went with the CIP magazine. I like magazines for hunting but if youre trekking a bit I can understand wanting the flush magazine. Either way youre working with some good components good luck with the build

You can put a wyatt’s in the origin, you just have to have a “Wyatt’s cut” made to the rear of the mag opening, like you would a standard remington.

Thanks for the input. I’m also starting to lean towards Defiance anTi, seems like that will definitely give me BDL with the added length.

You can put a wyatt’s in the origin, you just have to have a “Wyatt’s cut” made to the rear of the mag opening, like you would a standard remington.
How does this work? Is this something a smith has to do?

If you reload and care about factory ammo availability, 300wm but have the barrel throat cut to take full advantage of it

If you don’t care about factory ammo, flip a coin. Seriously. Quality brass is available for both and components are the same

Thanks for all the replies. Ultimately after all the research I ended up going with a 300wm, defiance action, bdl, with a custom chamber for the 215s.

Reactions: The D
Thanks for all the replies. Ultimately after all the research I ended up going with a 300wm, defiance action, bdl, with a custom chamber for the 215s.
Awesome combo