• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ZCO 840 or Vortex Razor Gen 3 (6-36x56)

tyfoon

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2020
In Europe the ZCO 840 and Vortex Razor Gen 3 (6-36x56) are nearly identical in price (4000 euro). I can find a lot of reviews on the Razor but unfortunately not that much on the ZCO 840. Will be used for ELR.

I'm a bit on the fence which one to get (ignoring retical as that is personal).

Would love to hear your opinions in comparing these two scope's. Any experiences to share?

In Europe the ZCO 840 and Vortex Razor Gen 3 (6-36x56) are nearly identical in price (4000 euro). I can find a lot of reviews on the Razor but unfortunately not that much on the ZCO 840. Will be used for ELR.

I'm a bit on the fence which one to get (ignoring retical as that is personal).

Would love to hear your opinions in comparing these two scope's. Any experiences to share?
Own 2 ZCO's and love them. Every Vortex I have ever had has needed warranty. Not even apples to apples here. ZCO all day

The plan is top go and try 2 mile but not sure if we will make that. Want to do at least 1 mile. My Kestrel is telling me that with a 300Norma Magnum and 230berger hybrid this would be about 17Mil elevation. Which in all cases would work. However it goes up fast, at 2000meters I see it's already 27Mil which is also the max of the ZCO. 2 miles seems to be 77Mil which is an issue in any case.

Alternatively I'll stick with my trusty S&B 5x25 PM2 with Eratac adjustable mount.

Looking at the euro to usd they’ve got the Vortex way overpriced and the ZCO correct.

The ZCO is a better scope. I’ve only got 50 rounds through mine but I have to say I’m impressed.

The plan is top go and try 2 mile but not sure if we will make that. Want to do at least 1 mile. My Kestrel is telling me that with a 300Norma Magnum and 230berger hybrid this would be about 17Mil elevation. Which in all cases would work. However it goes up fast, at 2000meters I see it's already 27Mil which is also the max of the ZCO. 2 miles seems to be 77Mil which is an issue in any case.

Alternatively I'll stick with my trusty S&B 5x25 PM2 with Eratac adjustable mount.

For shooting out to two miles I personally max out at 16-18x magnification. Anything above 20x it's a mirage mess. Your setup now is perfect for what your after. More mag really isn't going to help you from my experience, unfortunately.

As mentioned above you don't need or even want 30+ power to shoot that far. You need elevation. You might want to take a look at the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 which has 46.5 mils of elevation. Worth a look and not sure what they go for over there but will probably be less money too.

The 840 zco looks amazing. Honestly I thought it looked better than my 2 527 zcos. Granted this was at a prs22 match and distances were close with no mirage.

The razor is a great scope for the money and is a huge value at half the price of a zco here in the US. They are not the same quality however.

The issue with the 840 zco is elevation. They had to severely limit the elevation to get that optics package to work.

I look at it like this. Out to about 1500yards or so the zco hands down. From like 1500 to 3000, without a prism or charlie, the razor may be a better choice.

If you are going to shoot to 2 miles, you will want a prism or charlie so go with the best glass which is ZCO.

Since they are about the same price, I would lean heavy towards zco even if the razor has it beat in certain elevation ranges.

Razor is no slouch. Side by side with my ZCO 4-20 I can't tell a bit of difference in image quality/clarity, both excellent. The razor is slightly easier to get behind. ZCO turrets are better except the parallax turret which I despise on the ZCO. I prefer the Razor reticle.

Keeping the 420 as it is a great scope but not impressed enough to buy an 840... buying another Razor soon.

Reactions: Blindsight
Just want to mention, yup, the ZCO is a quality optic and generally superior to Vortex’s line. However the 6-36x is easily their best scope and probably the best value out there for high magnification with superb turrets. But if you pay roughly the same then it’s hard not to grab ZCO.

Sightron S8 might be worth a look.
LOADS of adjustment, typically excellent tracking and glass is supposed to be superb.
I admit, I am a bit of a fanboy, but these do look really solid.
If you want to spend ZCO money, you'll be happy with the ZCO.