• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zco after almost a year

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Thoughts on Zcomp after a year (give or take).

So, I’ve owned four ZCO Optics over the course of the past year or so. 2x 527 MPCT2, 1x 527 MPCT1, and a 420 MPCT2.

At times I have optic ADD, so I’ve ended up currently owned two 527 MPCT2 optics. The only reason any of the others aren’t here is 1: horse trading to try other optics and 2: the 527 is more suited for my needs.

One of the original 527 MPCT2’s I still have that is of either the first or second batch of ZCO’s. It’s been dropped, thrown around, beat on, and generally abused in over 25 matches (Centerfire and Rimfire matches), and 25 matches is a conservative number as I shoot a lot of matches.

You can stop reading here if you like and know that none have ever failed and are performing flawlessly.

Prior to ZCO, it was fairly well accepted by most that the top tier of optics was Tangent Theta and the Hendsoldt 3-27. Hendsoldt has all but priced themselves out of most consumer’s means and if you don’t like the H59 reticle, you don’t have much other choices with that optic. So, for my purposes, Tier 1 was solely inhabited by Tangent Theta (of which I’ve owned several with gen2xr and gen3xr reticles).

After using ZCO, it is my opinion that tier 1 is now populated with TT and ZCO. The rest of the Alpha Optics are great, but IMO, a step below these two.

Which is better, the ZCO or TT? The easy answer is: neither. They both have things I like and things I wish they had.

I wish the TT had the giant picture and eyebox of the ZCO, the ZCO reticles, locking turrets, and the ergonomics of the ZCO.

I wish the ZCO had the parallax of the TT (splitting hairs, as the ZCO parallax is very close). And I wish there was a tool less turret option for the ZCO. Tool less turrets is the icing on top of a overbuilt and top tier optic.

The only reason I’m doing a quick comparison to the TT is that people will undoubtedly as for the comparison. I personally just traded a TT gen3xr for another ZCO 527 MPCT2. Mainly because the mpct2 reticle works exponentially better for me. After 3-4mo of using the gen3xr, I still find myself counting hashmarks. The mpct2 is much more natural for me with the way they designed their hashmarks.

So, here’s a down and dirty pros/cons of the zco after a year:

Pros:

Ruggedness: It’s and absolute tank. Do whatever you want to it and it will keep on going (minus the finish and turret screws that are mentioned below).

Reticle: IMO, the best reticles on the market. Of course this is subjective. The mpct2 tree does start until 2 mil, so you don’t even notice it unless you need it. Perfect reticle IMO.

Ergonomics: Blows every single optic away on ergos. Nothing touches this thing as far as ease of use on the controls.

Glass: Splitting hairs on TT vs ZCO glass with TT getting the slight (very slight) nod.

Picture/eyebox: The picture on this thing is huge. It’s not even justifiably describable in writing. You have to see it to know what I mean.

Warranty: Haven’t had to use it, but they are EXTREMELY responsive. I have heard of one or two people having slight issues, and ZCO just sending them a new optic rather than messing around with stuff.

Cons (being nit picky as this is an Alpha optic):

Coating/Finish: kinda chalkboard type. It marks fairly easily. This is cosmetic only. But some people like their stuff to stay pretty.

Turret Screws: Very high quality, but with USER ERROR (key word) you can get the Allen key in something like a fix it sticks slightly off angle and start rounding out the screws. Again, this is more user error, but its happening, so some sort of change would be nice. I have received replacement screws from ZCO extremely fast and at no cost.

Illumination knob: kinda easy to rotate on while using parallax adjustment. Not a big deal as ZCO has auto off and sleep modes. Maybe make it a little smaller or tighter in future versions.

Things I’d like to see offered:

Left side windage and right side parallax. Much easier for right handlers to mess with their parallax with right hand as the left hand is supporting the rifle.

Tool Less turrets. This may not be possible with locking turrets. I’m not sure. Even if it was just a retention cap that uses a nickel to loosen on top and then reset turrets. Anything to reliably get away from turret screws (i think its about time the industry moves away from small screws in the turrets).

Again, I just traded a TT gen3xr for another ZCO and all my main rimfire and centerfire rifles will now be 100% ZCO Optics. That’s how impressed I am with these after about a year. These things are a bargain for $3600 vs the $41-4700 or so the TT is selling for at most places.

On a serious note, Dan Bertocchini of Team CS Tactical is running this awesome setup topped off with a ZC527 next year for PRS/NRL etc... And we may venture into KO2M with another setup o_O

81652875_3434701743238981_8175052150049603584_o.jpg

I am very impressed with ZC527 with impact 2 reticle. Compared to TT525, I do like TT’s turret better (clicks and tool ness turret). Another than that no complaints to ZC at all.

Everything I have read about ZCO is impressive....
    You're probably going to think I'm crazy but I'm just starting in this sport and have this glass in my reticule. My very first scope will be the ZC527. May as well go for an Alpha scope. I've just retired and will treat myself.

...and because of all the knowledge shared here, I know I wont regret it (y)

Thank you all !!

Thoughts on Zcomp after a year (give or take).

So, I’ve owned four ZCO Optics over the course of the past year or so. 2x 527 MPCT2, 1x 527 MPCT1, and a 420 MPCT2.

At times I have optic ADD, so I’ve ended up currently owned two 527 MPCT2 optics. The only reason any of the others aren’t here is 1: horse trading to try other optics and 2: the 527 is more suited for my needs.

One of the original 527 MPCT2’s I still have that is of either the first or second batch of ZCO’s. It’s been dropped, thrown around, beat on, and generally abused in over 25 matches (Centerfire and Rimfire matches), and 25 matches is a conservative number as I shoot a lot of matches.

You can stop reading here if you like and know that none have ever failed and are performing flawlessly.

Prior to ZCO, it was fairly well accepted by most that the top tier of optics was Tangent Theta and the Hendsoldt 3-27. Hendsoldt has all but priced themselves out of most consumer’s means and if you don’t like the H59 reticle, you don’t have much other choices with that optic. So, for my purposes, Tier 1 was solely inhabited by Tangent Theta (of which I’ve owned several with gen2xr and gen3xr reticles).

After using ZCO, it is my opinion that tier 1 is now populated with TT and ZCO. The rest of the Alpha Optics are great, but IMO, a step below these two.

Which is better, the ZCO or TT? The easy answer is: neither. They both have things I like and things I wish they had.

I wish the TT had the giant picture and eyebox of the ZCO, the ZCO reticles, locking turrets, and the ergonomics of the ZCO.

I wish the ZCO had the parallax of the TT (splitting hairs, as the ZCO parallax is very close). And I wish there was a tool less turret option for the ZCO. Tool less turrets is the icing on top of a overbuilt and top tier optic.

The only reason I’m doing a quick comparison to the TT is that people will undoubtedly as for the comparison. I personally just traded a TT gen3xr for another ZCO 527 MPCT2. Mainly because the mpct2 reticle works exponentially better for me. After 3-4mo of using the gen3xr, I still find myself counting hashmarks. The mpct2 is much more natural for me with the way they designed their hashmarks.

So, here’s a down and dirty pros/cons of the zco after a year:

Pros:

Ruggedness: It’s and absolute tank. Do whatever you want to it and it will keep on going (minus the finish and turret screws that are mentioned below).

Reticle: IMO, the best reticles on the market. Of course this is subjective. The mpct2 tree does start until 2 mil, so you don’t even notice it unless you need it. Perfect reticle IMO.

Ergonomics: Blows every single optic away on ergos. Nothing touches this thing as far as ease of use on the controls.

Glass: Splitting hairs on TT vs ZCO glass with TT getting the slight (very slight) nod.

Picture/eyebox: The picture on this thing is huge. It’s not even justifiably describable in writing. You have to see it to know what I mean.

Warranty: Haven’t had to use it, but they are EXTREMELY responsive. I have heard of one or two people having slight issues, and ZCO just sending them a new optic rather than messing around with stuff.

Cons (being nit picky as this is an Alpha optic):

Coating/Finish: kinda chalkboard type. It marks fairly easily. This is cosmetic only. But some people like their stuff to stay pretty.

Turret Screws: Very high quality, but with USER ERROR (key word) you can get the Allen key in something like a fix it sticks slightly off angle and start rounding out the screws. Again, this is more user error, but its happening, so some sort of change would be nice. I have received replacement screws from ZCO extremely fast and at no cost.

Illumination knob: kinda easy to rotate on while using parallax adjustment. Not a big deal as ZCO has auto off and sleep modes. Maybe make it a little smaller or tighter in future versions.

Things I’d like to see offered:

Left side windage and right side parallax. Much easier for right handlers to mess with their parallax with right hand as the left hand is supporting the rifle.

Tool Less turrets. This may not be possible with locking turrets. I’m not sure. Even if it was just a retention cap that uses a nickel to loosen on top and then reset turrets. Anything to reliably get away from turret screws (i think its about time the industry moves away from small screws in the turrets).

Again, I just traded a TT gen3xr for another ZCO and all my main rimfire and centerfire rifles will now be 100% ZCO Optics. That’s how impressed I am with these after about a year. These things are a bargain for $3600 vs the $41-4700 or so the TT is selling for at most places.
    Your review of these scopes was very well done.As of now I own the ZC4X20 with mpct2 reticle and love the scope and still saving for another one.Thank you for taking the time with this review.

Thanks for the long term review Dt, can you elaborate a little more on the differences that you see between the reticles, specifically how does the MPCT2 work "exponentially better" for you? I am not a competition shooter but I'm always looking for ways to quicken my response time between transitioning from target to target.

1578410920573.png

1578411052399.png

It’s all subjective. But here is a picture of the windage on both.

The way the first mil has a .5 mark helps me find all the values very fast.

The other mil marks are .2 small, .4 and .6 is large, then .8 is small again. With all whole mils being the large hash.

With the gen3xr, the way the hashes just get larger and then a dot on the full mil, I have to manually count marks and I also mistake the .8 for whole mil because I’m used to the full mil being a large hash on most reticles.

The most obvious is when shooting a mover. It’s usually anywhere from 1.2 - 1.8 and anywhere in between. I’m much, much faster on picking up which hold I want to use. On mover stages where say you only get 3 passes, being able to take every shot ASAP is a big deal.

351B69A7-DF10-40FE-8FC1-C2DF7AFE3E78.jpeg

B7BE0055-F4CD-4952-818C-BF9F2DC2051C.jpeg

The other mil marks are .2 small, .4 and .6 is large, then .8 is small again. With all whole mils being the large hash.

With the gen3xr, the way the hashes just get larger and then a dot on the full mil, I have to manually count marks and I also mistake the .8 for whole mil because I’m used to the full mil being a large hash on most reticles.

The most obvious is when shooting a mover. It’s usually anywhere from 1.2 - 1.8 and anywhere in between. I’m much, much faster on picking up which hold I want to use. On mover stages where say you only get 3 passes, being able to take every shot ASAP is a big deal.

View attachment 7219371

View attachment 7219372
    As someone far less experienced, I looked at those two reticles and wondered how one could possibly work much better than the other. Your answer makes perfect sense. Thanks for dropping some serious knowledge on us!

As someone far less experienced, I looked at those two reticles and wondered how one could possibly work much better than the other. Your answer makes perfect sense. Thanks for dropping some serious knowledge on us!

To go even further, look at the mpct 2 or skmr reticles. They are similar.

I know that the first small hash is .2 and the next two large ones are .4 and .6.

They are very obvious and easy to remember.

If you need .1 .3 .5 or .7, you just bracket those.

Personally, this is easier for me than the steadily increasing hash marks as the gen3xr. Some others might not find it the same though and prefer that.

I am getting ready to buy 2 new scopes. I want a Tangent, really want a Tangent. but with tens of thousands of rounds through a skmr and mill c I agree that the large hash mark should be 1 mill. So i believe that i will be going ZCO

Reactions: Tac Beard
    I am getting ready to buy 2 new scopes. I want a Tangent, really want a Tangent. but with tens of thousands of rounds through a skmr and mill c I agree that the large hash mark should be 1 mill. So i believe that i will be going ZCO

Let me know if you want one 'soon' we're trying to make sure we get all orders in hand before they close up for Shot Show :)

Reactions: gebhardt02
    I will agree with all that has been said here. ZCO scopes are amazing and this being the first time I REALLY. tried using holds instead of dialing the reticle came much more natural than the Tanget Theta. It’s also very hard to get a true feel for the view of the reticle with out looking through them in person, or at least some good they the scope pictures. Another point that doesn’t show up noticeable on the reticle drawings is the Center Dot being like twice the size in the Tangent Theta if I remember correctly, and I have come to really love the small dot in the ZCO. It’s a small difference, but when comparing Alpha’s all you have are small differences. I also feel the way the ZCO does the first mil really draws your eye to the center naturally because of the way it slopes down/gets smaller as you get closer to the center. That’s something I really noticed when I first saw through the reticle.

View attachment 7219371

View attachment 7219372
    Dt, I appreciate you taking the time to explain that, now I understand what you are saying and see how that can help. Curious, what you're saying mostly focuses from 0-1 mil in the horizontal, but from 1-4 mil they have the two tick marks at the top at .4 and .6 mil but it seems like it would have been better to keep the top tick mark at .5 mil like they do between 0-1, and then they do something very funky between 4-5. I don't know if these have ever been explained adequately but curious your thoughts on how these other hash marks may have helped you in competition.

Dt, I appreciate you taking the time to explain that, now I understand what you are saying and see how that can help. Curious, what you're saying mostly focuses from 0-1 mil in the horizontal, but from 1-4 mil they have the two tick marks at the top at .4 and .6 mil but it seems like it would have been better to keep the top tick mark at .5 mil like they do between 0-1, and then they do something very funky between 4-5. I don't know if these have ever been explained adequately but curious your thoughts on how these other hash marks may have helped you in competition.

The way I understand, they did the 0-1 mil with the .5 because most holds are inside of 1 until out to distance or with movers. I also suspect (no facts to back this up) they also had to change it up a little to keep from being a direct copy of skmr reticles.

I personally would rather have the 0-1 look exactly the same as the 2 mil and out (like skmr does).

Reactions: Blackfoot 7

Between 4 & 5 mil they give you a .1 graduation in order to assist in reticle ranging. Although reticle ranging isn’t used very often anymore, you want a finer graduation so you can get more exact measurements. I will say I kind of like the way the Tremor 3 does the .1mil “Tree” as they call it better than the ZCO, but the ZCO is fully functional as it is, and the rest is way better than the Tremor 3. I have been able to get very precise ranging using the ZCO reticle and .1mil hashes out to about 1,000yards of known and un-known ranges so it wasn’t like I knew the range but checked with the reticle and matched my measurements to my known range.

The way I understand, they did the 0-1 mil with the .5 because most holds are inside of 1 until out to distance or with movers. I also suspect (no facts to back this up) they also had to change it up a little to keep from being a direct copy of skmr reticles.

I personally would rather have the 0-1 look exactly the same as the 2 mil and out (like skmr does).

I am opposite, I think I would prefer having 2 mil and out exactly the same as 0-1 so you have the .5mil hash along with the .2mil hashes all the way. But that’s theoretical, in use I might now like it that way. And I am pretty damn happy with it just the way it is.

I am opposite, I think I would prefer having 2 mil and out exactly the same as 0-1 so you have the .5mil hash along with the .2mil hashes all the way. But that’s theoretical, in use I might now like it that way. And I am pretty damn happy with it just the way it is.
    This is my thought as well, I prefer the .5 on top and graduated .2 marks below. Obviously we are nitpicking here.

This is my thought as well, I prefer the .5 on top and graduated .2 marks below. Obviously we are nitpicking here.

Yeah, very nitpicking, cause I really do like it the way it is, but if I was gonna TRY a change at all, I think it would be keeping the .5 on top all the way out. However, I don’t know if I would like to have the .2 marks grow in size the way they do all the way cause then you get that kind of sound wave look the Gen 3 XR has, so if I kept the .5 mil all the way out, I would still make the .2 marks go from small at .2, then large at .4 & .6, back to small at .8 and then the full size 1 mil. But no matter what, I wouldn’t change the 0-1 mil at all because the growing lines help draw your eye to the center.

Our Thoughts...
    I love having the 1.4-1.6 up. They are very fast, and you are not searching for your mover hold. We can make .1 or .2 adjustments on a mover without any real thought.. Most of the time when you need 1+ mils of wind you have an extra 2 seconds. The 2 up tells you you are outside of 1 mil wind and it is damn fast to go from .2 to .6. Inside of 1 mil you have a fast visual from .4 to .6 due to size differences.. There is a distinct difference in the hold point.
    After a year with this reticle, I think it is great...

Has anyone else noticed wearing sunglasses really cuts down on the clarity of the scope? Had a 5-27 beside my S&B 5-25 and thought the S&B was clearer until I removed my sunglasses. They were costas with the blue lenses. Haven’t tried it with other glasses on to notice any difference.

Has anyone else noticed wearing sunglasses really cuts down on the clarity of the scope? Had a 5-27 beside my S&B 5-25 and thought the S&B was clearer until I removed my sunglasses. They were costas with the blue lenses. Haven’t tried it with other glasses on to notice any difference.
    Are your sunglasses polarized? I wonder if something in the lens coating might be conflicting with the polarization?

Reactions: Blackfoot 7

I have shot with both Sunglasses and plain clear safety glasses and didn’t notice anything big, but I always prefer no glasses.

To WJM308 point, none of the glasses I have worn while shooting were polarized so maybe that’s the thing messing it up.

Are your sunglasses polarized? I wonder if something in the lens coating might be conflicting with the polarization?
    I believe all Costa's are polarized

Correct, they are polarized. Must be something weird with the lens coatings on the scope and the glasses not meshing well. The mirage was pretty bad and at 980 I could barely see 308 splash with the glasses on. I took them off and I could see 6mm.

Correct, they are polarized. Must be something weird with the lens coatings on the scope and the glasses not meshing well. The mirage was pretty bad and at 980 I could barely see 308 splash with the glasses on. I took them off and I could see 6mm.

This is why I never shoot with glasses on. I don’t like putting an extra low quality lens between my eye and a nice scope lol

If I ever stepped up to big $$$ glass it would be the ZCO
    I like that reticle with the clean 1st mill line.

True tool-less zero is the only thing that keeps me away from a ZCO.
    TT, USO, Leup and even the old Premier had it. Once you use tool-less zero, going back to screws feels archaic!

Reactions: TXBO
    Been following the discussions about ZCO with great interest. Very interested in the 4-20x and I harbor no doubts that I'll end up with one in the not so distant future. Has there been any rumors/hints/reports about a potential right hand parallax being offered?

Reactions: CSTactical
    Just a heads up for anyone wanting one soon, I’m still taking pre-orders to try and have your scope ship to us before they leave to Shot Show :) Then there may be a slight delay as they will be gone a week and demand increases when people check the ZCO’s out in person. ?

This is why I never shoot with glasses on. I don’t like putting an extra low quality lens between my eye and a nice scope lol

I get what your saying but I think costas are some of the nicest sunglass lenses out there, especially the glass not the poly. Also I’m in SW florida, I have to wear something.

Reactions: kthomas
    I get what your saying but I think costas are some of the nicest sunglass lenses out there, especially the glass not the poly. Also I’m in SW florida, I have to wear something.

It’s still shitty lenses when comparing to high end glass.

Taking any $200 sunglass lens and putting in front of an optic is never going to increase your experience. You’re better off to take a shemagh or something and cover your head and the diopter.

I let the sun dictate if I where sunglasses or not when I shoot. When it is sunny, I wear them. If it is not, then I don’t. It works for me.

Reactions: kthomas