• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ZCO Parallax issues in the cold?

Drbobinmo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Springfield, MO
I'm really considering upgrading to the new ZCO 840 when they get released from my Razor Gen2 but was curious about the issues I'm hearing of the ZCO parallax not working in very cold conditions. I don't recall every reading about it here but saw it several times recently on the ZCO Facebook page.

Anyone here have that issue? I just want to make sure I spend over $4k wisely

I live in Michigan and haven't had any issues so far during the winter. This is the 3rd winter now for me.

Parallax adjustment not working? Or parallax adjustment being difficult to get a clear picture because of heat coming off a barrel that was recently inside?

I shoot the 527 in temps around 15F with some regularity. Not sure that qualifies as “very cold conditions” in your mind but I‘ve had no trouble.

Increased barrel mirage and my breath steaming up the lens notwithstanding.

Every scope expands and contracts with temperature changes outside. We set our parallax to be as indicated on the turret at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. As the outdoor temperature gets colder, your indicated setting on the turret will be further down the scale toward the infinity side. But there is enough adjustment to handle the cold temperatures. Our scopes have been very well tested and used in these extremes without issue.

Regarding the comments on the FB page, we are working with a couple individuals to find out what is going on exactly. Won't know until we bring their optic in and check some things out. But we have a ton of scopes being used in cold weather without issue, including up here in MT where I'm out shooting very regularly in very cold weather. No issues. So I have no idea what these guys are experiencing, but we will check into it and make sure they have a properly functioning scope.

Every scope expands and contracts with temperature changes outside. We set our parallax to be as indicated on the turret at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. As the outdoor temperature gets colder, your indicated setting on the turret will be further down the scale toward the infinity side. But there is enough adjustment to handle the cold temperatures. Our scopes have been very well tested and used in these extremes without issue.

Regarding the comments on the FB page, we are working with a couple individuals to find out what is going on exactly. Won't know until we bring their optic in and check some things out. But we have a ton of scopes being used in cold weather without issue, including up here in MT where I'm out shooting very regularly in very cold weather. No issues. So I have no idea what these guys are experiencing, but we will check into it and make sure they have a properly functioning scope.
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was probably some isolated incidents since I don’t recall seeing anyone on the Hide mention it.

I look forward to being a ZCO owner in then near future!

I'm really considering upgrading to the new ZCO 840 when they get released from my Razor Gen2 but was curious about the issues I'm hearing of the ZCO parallax not working in very cold conditions. I don't recall every reading about it here but saw it several times recently on the ZCO Facebook page.

Anyone here have that issue? I just want to make sure I spend over $4k wisely

We have not seen that issue with any of the hundreds we have sold, from the look of that post it looks to be a regional discussion in Europe which they should definitely discuss with their dealer/importer to see if corrections need to be made or if it user error.

I can only speak for our many ZCO customers in the United States which is a large sample of ZCO scopes in existence and we have not seen even one issue like is being discussed.

We have witnessed install errors where they over torqued the front ring which affected parallax to the point it was not moving freely. We have also witnessed out of spec mount/rings that also caused the same issue with the parallax not moving freely in various premium scopes.

Unless you know the full story there is no cause for concern. There are hundreds of ZCO’s owned by hide members that are our customers alone, if this was an issue we’d know.

We have not seen that issue with any of the hundreds we have sold, from the look of that post it looks to be a regional discussion in Europe which they should definitely discuss with their dealer/importer to see if corrections need to be made or if it user error.

I can only speak for our many ZCO customers in the United States which is a large sample of ZCO scopes in existence and we have not seen even one issue like is being discussed.

We have witnessed install errors where they over torqued the front ring which affected parallax to the point it was not moving freely. We have also witnessed out of spec mount/rings that also caused the same issue with the parallax not moving freely in various premium scopes.

Unless you know the full story there is no cause for concern. There are hundreds of ZCO’s owned by hide members that are our customers alone, if this was an issue we’d know.
Thanks for the reply too especially since you’ve probably sold more ZCO scopes than anyone else here and have heard plenty of feedback from others.

When the 840 is out and the time is right for me, you will be getting a call 😁

We are in E. Montana. Our ZCOMPs get shot in lots of very cold weather. Last week about -10. Neither the 5-27 nor the 4-20 have ever had an issue.
Knobs turn smoothly and parrallax has been adjustable. Fingers don't work well, but the scopes do!
The pic was well below zero.

20220109_095635.jpg

As the outdoor temperature gets colder, your indicated setting on the turret will be further down the scale toward the infinity side.

I can verify this as I was shooting at a 6" plate at 600 yards in single digit temps with a 5-27 and had to adjust the parallax down well beyond the 600 mark to clear up the image.

haha....even the dead 'yote looks cold. Look at that grimace! haha

Is that your daughter...does she shoot? Love to see young people get into shooting and hunting.
Hello Sir,
Yes, that is my daughter. IG: gwen_2547
That is her nrl hunter rifle. 25/260. Her scope too..:)
She shot the dog.... I just spot if I get there fast enpugh.
She has been shooting matches for the past 5 years.
Those are her sheep...
She doesnt like coyotes!

Last edited: