• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ZCO Reticle Help for the FNG

eric90503

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2013
After much contemplation into getting into this spectrum of our sport.As a civilian, I am at a bit of a loss when it reticles as I am at that new guy stage.
I've only have had experience in my EBR-9 MOA reticles for 3gun. I do not know how to read MILS yet. I am in the process of finding enrollment with an instructor.

I know reticles are a bit of personal preference. I am currently looking at the ZCO 527 with the IMPCT3X reticle. Not knowing what I'm looking for yet what are the main differences between the IMPCT3x vs the Tremor3&5 reticles?

This is going on top of a AXSR 338Lap/6.5C setup. Later on will eventually build my 7mm-.30cal mid-weight hunting rifle, hopefully the optic will complement in power/reticle choice.

Humbly appreciate all feedback.

if you're learning mils...a Tremor is not the right choice. a tremor is rarely the right choice and gives way more info than 99% of shooters need.

mpct2 is my pick from zco. everything you need and not a bunch of circles and or a whales vagina and easier to read to my eyes

Yea the tremor stuff is just too much and won’t relate easily often times especially for new guys. I love the 3X because circles are super easy to index for full Mil marks and then it’s .2 and .5 marks. Nothing more nothing less. No need to take a class or a damn instruction manual for a reticle.

Reactions: eric90503
After much contemplation into getting into this spectrum of our sport.As a civilian, I am at a bit of a loss when it reticles as I am at that new guy stage.
I've only have had experience in my EBR-9 MOA reticles for 3gun. I do not know how to read MILS yet. I am in the process of finding enrollment with an instructor.

I know reticles are a bit of personal preference. I am currently looking at the ZCO 527 with the IMPCT3X reticle. Not knowing what I'm looking for yet what are the main differences between the IMPCT3x vs the Tremor3&5 reticles?

This is going on top of a AXSR 338Lap/6.5C setup. Later on will eventually build my 7mm-.30cal mid-weight hunting rifle, hopefully the optic will complement in power/reticle choice.

Personally hate Tremor 3 and think its an example of how "more is better" is baloney.

I have a MPTC3x as the 2x was not developed yet. he grid under the horizontal stadia doesn't bother me a bit. Really don't see it unless I'm using it for hold over and wind hold.

I believe that if I was buying today, I would go 2x but either will serve you well.

And just curious...what about mils is hard to read? A measurement is a measurement...if using the reticle to range or to determine how far off your shot was from wind, you don't need to understand it any more that using an ruler requires you to know anything really about inches. What is your view of it?

Hot take: The tremor is not hard to learn in the slightest, and those who think it’s too complicated don’t understand how to employ it, or refuse to teach themselves.

The military wouldn’t be teaching 19 year old mouth breathers with zero long gun experience how to use it otherwise.

99% of non-mil dudes will ignore everything aside from the wind dots, hence the tremor 5.

That said, the MPCT-3X is my favorite reticle I’ve used thus far, and that’s what I’d pick if I was buying another ZCO.

PM me your information and we I can go over the pros and cons of each reticle. We have almost every ZCO reticle option in stock or on the way for the ZC527 :)
Richard@CST
916-628-3490

Wow, thanks for the support and not bagging on the new guy. When I first looked through the MPCT-3X I was pretty much overwhelmed with what I was looking at😵‍💫. All those circles looked like suction cups. After taking a second glance,it seemed a little "faster" if that makes any sense? I'm sure with time I'll get to navigate it better.

Would love to learn the tremor after I get the basics down.

Appreciate and thank you all your inputs. Just wanted to get an informed decision as this is going to be my most expensive optic to date!

Reactions: CSTactical
Interesting points of view. I personally believe the MPCT 1 is all you need. A tree is a crutch IMO and you give up valuable room to see what is going on especially for a newer shooter. Aside from breaking a fundamentally sound shot, seeing what happens down range is just as important.

MPCT3X or 2X are the way to go. I like my 3X because of the circles, it's very easy and quick to find them. I very rarely use the tree but it also doesn't seem to get in the way either. MPCT1X would be OK for me but I'd miss the circles too much.

2X looks good also, the open centers at each full mill are easy to pick out of the reticle.

Interesting points of view. I personally believe the MPCT 1 is all you need. A tree is a crutch IMO and you give up valuable room to see what is going on especially for a newer shooter. Aside from breaking a fundamentally sound shot, seeing what happens down range is just as important.
I tend to agree with this and your recent success with a non tree reticle made me rethink having one as well but I do run into a few no dial stages at local matches and the tree has been useful.

I tend to agree with this and your recent success with a non tree reticle made me rethink having one as well but I do run into a few no dial stages at local matches and the tree has been useful.
I appreciate the comment. Understanding subtensions and measuring target widths is imperative.

The tie breaking stage at Clays match in 2022 was a “don't touch your scope” stage. Cleaned that stage just off knowing sub-tension width and then knowing target sizes and that was 25-35mph winds. The JTAC reticle in the TT 5-25 is very similar, the only thing I would do on the MPCT 1 is knock off the vertical and just give it 3 mils above center and then pull the horizontals back .05mil from the dot like they did in the 8-40. Thats a large part of why I use the 8-40 for PRS.

MPCT2X seems to be the tits. I was debating between the 527 MPCT3X and the 735 (ATCR) Mil-XT. I love the XT but wish it was a tad more open in the center. I liked the MPCT3X for the openness but didn’t care too much for the circles. I went MilXT and I think like a month or two later they announced the MPCT2X lol

If I had to make that decision today, I’d be leaning really hard at the MPCT2X. …but that’s only because the SB636 reticles were eh.

I appreciate the comment. Understanding subtensions and measuring target widths is imperative.

The tie breaking stage at Clays match in 2022 was a “don't touch your scope” stage. Cleaned that stage just off knowing sub-tension width and then knowing target sizes and that was 25-35mph winds. The JTAC reticle in the TT 5-25 is very similar, the only thing I would do on the MPCT 1 is knock off the vertical and just give it 3 mils above center and then pull the horizontals back .05mil from the dot like they did in the 8-40. Thats a large part of why I use the 8-40 for PRS.
Yea I’ve also been using my 840 for PRS pretty exclusively now unless I’m testing a different scope. So on that stage did you end up dialing all your wind? I’ve been dialing a lot more of my wind this year, more than before.

There has definitely been a trend swinging back the MPCT1 lately :)

I'm in year three of running my ZCO 5-27x56 with MPCT2 reticle from CS Tactical (thanks Richard) in matches. All else being equal, I'd like to try the MPCT3 reticle with its circular subtensions.

Why? Because, on the clock, it take me (me personally, others may perceive things differently) too long to figure out which subtension I need to use, and having that circle every full mil seems like it would aid in finding the correct subtension faster.

OP, don't even think about buying this (or any other) mid- to high-end scope with an MOA reticle. There is no "learning to read" mils vs MOA; they're both a measurement of angle - all you need to know is the setting from your ballistic calculator, dial it, and shoot. I'm into my 70s now and grew up with MOA scopes, and bought a couple of MOA Razors early on in my precision rifle journey. Then I picked up a direct-from-Vortex discount cert at a match, and Nick at Vortex persuaded me to try mils.

I had definitely overthought the switch. Just get mils and be done. You'll see.

I have MPCT2 in my ZCOs. I tend to agree with some of the others saying that MPCT1 is a little better as you can see more downrange. If I was buying a 5-27 again today, I'd probably go with the MPCT1. If I was buying the 4-20 again today, I would probably keep the MPCT2. My 5-27 is on a gamer gun that rarely sees low power. My 4-20 is on a hunting rifle, and the MPCT2 draws my eye to the center faster/easier on low mag.

I also view the Tremor reticles as a huge downgrade.

Super appreciate all the responses here. Your real world experiences help me see it a bit clearer. Especially the MPCT1 as being cleaner. Very grateful for this community. Hopefully one day I can give back as you all have.

I have a feeling this won't be my last ZCO optic. I have an AR-10 6.5C in the works that will need some glass. But first things first, 5-27.

Super appreciate all the responses here. Your real world experiences help me see it a bit clearer. Especially the MPCT1 as being cleaner. Very grateful for this community. Hopefully one day I can give back as you all have.

I have a feeling this won't be my last ZCO optic. I have an AR-10 6.5C in the works that will need some glass. But first things first, 5-27.

Let me know if I can set you up with one, I have the ZC527 15MIL Locking and ZC527 10MIL NLE in stock as of this post :)
-Richard@CST

Yea I’ve also been using my 840 for PRS pretty exclusively now unless I’m testing a different scope. So on that stage did you end up dialing all your wind? I’ve been dialing a lot more of my wind this year, more than before.
Couldn't touch the scope on the clock. I dialed the first target and held the rest.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
I’m brand new to long range, just bought a ZCO with the MPCT1 reticle about two weeks ago. I didn’t look at the different options available beforehand and bought the one ZCO the dealer had along with the gun. I knew instantly when I looked through the ZCO I really preferred the reticle over the Leupold I was comparing it to along with the glass clarity. I repeatedly said “I really like this reticle”.

I went home and looked at the ZCO website and the different reticles available. My initial thought was I may have preferred the MPCT2 if I had looked at both. Saying that, I’ve been very happy with the MPCT1 and really like how clean and non cluttered it is.

Last edited:
This helps to understand the strength of the Horus:

The question is just, do you want/need those features.

Personally hate Tremor 3 and think its an example of how "more is better" is baloney.

I have a MPTC3x as the 2x was not developed yet. he grid under the horizontal stadia doesn't bother me a bit. Really don't see it unless I'm using it for hold over and wind hold.

I believe that if I was buying today, I would go 2x but either will serve you well.

And just curious...what about mils is hard to read? A measurement is a measurement...if using the reticle to range or to determine how far off your shot was from wind, you don't need to understand it any more that using an ruler requires you to know anything really about inches. What is your view of it?
Tremor 3!!!!!!

So I recently got two different scopes… after selling a few to pay for one of them:

Vortex 6-36x56 Gen3 EBR MIL & S&B 6-36x56 Grid2

Personally, I’d rather have the Tremor5, but the grid is pretty nice overall… especially in that it is literally a bunch of one mil graph paper.

I’m not as in love with the Christmas tree reticle on the vortex, but the glass on the vortex is surprisingly really good.

Unless you intend to compete PRS right off the line as a beginner shooting long range I would get the MPCT 1. The clean field of view as mentioned above is a great help spotting your misses. I shoot matches with less physical and time constraints so I chose the 1, I dial elevation and hold wind. If I ever get into a game with more pressure I’ll have the 2x but for now I can spot my own misses (because I can see them) and correct without the spotters input.

Mils are easy and so are Christmas tree reticles, it’s just a matter of field of view vs clutter.

If you don’t put in the time life is hard anyway you go, I’m sure it’s the same in 3 gun so you already know this.

Vortex 6-36x56 Gen3 EBR MIL & S&B 6-36x56 Grid2
🤣🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

My friend, what happened to standardizing on S&B and one specific reticle? LOL

You are a shopaholic. I think there is a 12 step program for that. Need an intervention?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

🤣🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

My friend, what happened to standardizing on S&B and one specific reticle? LOL

You are a shopaholic. I think there is a 12 step program for that. Need an intervention?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I sold two scopes that I wasn't using... and picked up the S&B 6-36x56 to compare. (Also, did you know we get about $800 off them as vets?)

I'm VERY impressed with the Vortex HD G3 as a lower cost options (as we get a ton off those, also as vets).

It's not a ZCO... but it sure as heck is a great entry level scope.

It do find the reticle options lacking... unlike ZCO or S&B.

Reactions: Baron23
Unless you intend to compete PRS right off the line as a beginner shooting long range I would get the MPCT 1. The clean field of view as mentioned above is a great help spotting your misses. I shoot matches with less physical and time constraints so I chose the 1, I dial elevation and hold wind. If I ever get into a game with more pressure I’ll have the 2x but for now I can spot my own misses (because I can see them) and correct without the spotters input.

Mils are easy and so are Christmas tree reticles, it’s just a matter of field of view vs clutter.

If you don’t put in the time life is hard anyway you go, I’m sure it’s the same in 3 gun so you already know this.
Appreciate your experiences Chris. Thank you