• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss 6-24x72 - trying to evaluate, help please

cornhuskid

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2008
Olympia, WA
Good Morning!

As the title says, I have a Zeiss 6-24x72 FL (current model) I am evaluating for purchase. This is a demo model with over a 1K discount. The rifle is a 26" heavy barrel 308 (175 SMK @ 2650) and typically shoots in the high .3s. I have a week to decide if I should keep this scope.

First, yeah it's big. The weight is not an issue with this rifle as it sees range time, long distance shooting in central WA and might get carried 400 yards to the edge of a big field we take Deer from. We target shoot out to 1200+ yards. We were also thinking this would be the cats azz for low light / moon light hunting Yotes. This rifle also has no comb drop, and if my calcs are right a 1/3" thick strap on cheek pad is all I need for sighting.

Here's my take. The scope is really bright (duh...). The image is also really "flat" and parallax is touchy, meaning you have to adjust it a bit but once you do it's very clear. I can make out individual pine needles from a branch at 450+ yards. I was expecting brighter colors but am comparing this to a Swaro CTC 30x75 spotter I have. The spotter has a large depth of field and has better colors. It is also very crisp in image. (read that as more "pop".) I like the turrets, these are crisp, no lash and feel solid. The zoom ring has the right tension as well as the ocular adjustment.

One issue... I have been looking out one of the upstairs windows onto the golf course where we live. There are a ton of Douglas Fir trees scattered about the neighborhood. Everything looks good and I can easily make out birds and the individual scales on Pine cones to 600 yards (that is as far as I can see where we live), HOWEVER for about and hour in the late afternoon I am getting CA from one branch from a Fir. I know this sounds dumb, but during that time I get a reddish shadow above the green in the pine needles on any power higher than 12. I look at the same branch from the same position an hour later and get nothing but a clear image. I am sure it is the way the sun is hitting it and he angle of the branch as I am not seeing issues from others.

The scope has a bright, clear image. Colors are not as good as my Swaro, almost pastel compared to it. Depth is very flat with a small parallax range for focus. It has the Rapid-Z 1000 reticle and the target turrets, good combo with the Strelok iPhone Ballistics. (I can dial to 1200 yards or dial to 500 and use the holdovers as they are calibrated for 308 at 23-24 zoom power depending on elevation.)

Am I being a bit of a "bitch", or should I expect better colors from this scope. I am guessing all scopes get some CA although I did not notice it on my old Z6 (2.5-10x) nor some of the S&B scopes I have had in the past. Being an unused demo the price is incredible for the scope which prompted me trying it to begin with. I am not really interested in other tactical scopes as I have been spoiled by German glass (Zeiss, Swaro, S&B) and have a 2600.00 limit. (NF 20 MOA base and 1.3" rings already ordered and not to be included in the price...)

Any advice is appreciated. I am taking it to the range (unmounted) on Friday morning and was hoping someone could give me a few testing pointers. I have access to a really good color printer and can print up charts, whatever to help "score" this scope. I have the chance at getting a new Z6i 3-18x50 at a great price (BT, 4Wi) but that limits me to 650 yards or so...

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

I'm not an optical engineer, but . . . the fact that you're seeing CA only on a single branch at a specific time of day suggests it's a function of the particular angle of sunlight at that hour combined with the specific direction the scope is pointing. So I'd guess it's not so much a question of how the sunlight hits the branch, but how it hits the scope. (Other branches are getting sunlight at the same angle, but the scope itself is pointing in a different direction when you look at them and don't notice CA, instead of the direction it points at the "problem" branch when you do get CA.) Is the objective lens always fully shaded (by a lens hood, or because the scope is inside the room, out of direct sunlight) or is it possible the sun is hitting the front lens when the problem occurs? Or perhaps the sun is reflecting off some body of water on the golf course or a window in a building and getting into the objective lens that way?

I am viewing from inside a room, no sun getting in directly other than later in the evening. I am running some tests each hour to see where I can see any CA and where I can't. 99% of the time no CA... More as I get some testing done later this week after nightfall...

cornhuskid....

I have the Diavari 6-24x56 and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44, so I can relate to everything you are going through. What is your intended purpose for the scope... Look at trees or shoot targets???

Although I agree with all of your assessments above, I got the Zeiss to replace the Swaro on a 12 lb. 300 Win Mag because it fit my needs more for long range target shooting. The Z5 is better suited on a lighter weight hunting type set-up in my opinion. I have no complaints or regrets with my purchase, but I am not as worried about coloring as you are.

Bill

Thanks Bill... You are correct, this is a shooter, not a spotter! I am a bit of an optics whore and get wrapped up in the image. It's a lot of cash for a toy and I just want to be sure its right.

:)

J

OK - Range report.

Clarity is really good, meaning I could see bullet holes from my buddies 30-06 at 492 yards.

Color was flat as before.

I am seeing two issues with this scope. First, on bright objects like the target boards and steel targets (both white) I see almost a "glow" around them. Also, when looking at the Rams at 500 meters if I move my head or eye a little off center, I get a "ghost" image of the target floating in the opposite direction.

Ideas?

Also - Happy 4th!

Jeff