• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss Conquest problems (I think)

Oceansnaps

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2022
Indiana
I have a Browning X-bolt in 7mm-08 with a Zeiss 3-18 X 50 Conquest scope. I attached some pics.
I've had the gun about 3 years, hunted with it once, probably have put about 10 boxes of ammo through it.
The gun was awesome accurate, crazy clear glass. J was practicing at 200 yards with it for a caribou trip I was taking and suddenly the gun wouldn't hit the paper any more ! Really bad situation...I couldn't find anything loose, so I removed the scope and sent to Zeiss in KY. I got an email from them saying the scope failed the POI test, and they were sending it to Germany. I got the scope back from Germany with a note that said they found absolutely nothing wrong with the scope.
I removed the bases/rings (Talley X-bolt), re-installed them, and lapped the rings.
When I tried to bore sight the scope with my laser, the windage bottomed out to one side before I could get the scope adjusted. So I thought maybe its just the laser, went ahead to the range today and tried the gun. The gun hits to the left and I have no right adjustment left to correct it, its bottomed out.
I never had THIS problem with the scope before.
Could someone advise as to what the heck I should do next? Send the scope back to Zeiss again? Replace the rings with possibly Burris? Try another scope in the current rings? I hate like heck to take this package apart again, but it seems I have to. Any ideas would be appreciated !

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4912.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4912.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 128
  • thumbnail_IMG_4913.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4913.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 90
  • thumbnail_IMG_4914.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4914.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 89
I have a Browning X-bolt in 7mm-08 with a Zeiss 3-18 X 50 Conquest scope. I attached some pics.
I've had the gun about 3 years, hunted with it once, probably have put about 10 boxes of ammo through it.
The gun was awesome accurate, crazy clear glass. J was practicing at 200 yards with it for a caribou trip I was taking and suddenly the gun wouldn't hit the paper any more ! Really bad situation...I couldn't find anything loose, so I removed the scope and sent to Zeiss in KY. I got an email from them saying the scope failed the POI test, and they were sending it to Germany. I got the scope back from Germany with a note that said they found absolutely nothing wrong with the scope.
I removed the bases/rings (Talley X-bolt), re-installed them, and lapped the rings.
When I tried to bore sight the scope with my laser, the windage bottomed out to one side before I could get the scope adjusted. So I thought maybe its just the laser, went ahead to the range today and tried the gun. The gun hits to the left and I have no right adjustment left to correct it, its bottomed out.
I never had THIS problem with the scope before.
Could someone advise as to what the heck I should do next? Send the scope back to Zeiss again? Replace the rings with possibly Burris? Try another scope in the current rings? I hate like heck to take this package apart again, but it seems I have to. Any ideas would be appreciated !

Did you have this issue with the windage turret when you were first using it during your 200 yard practice? How many shots did you shoot before you were no longer hitting your POA? There are several variables that could cause this issue. These could arise from the rifle itself (misaligned base holes), or the optic (reticle off center, mechanical issues, etc...), but we would need more details.

Assuming your rail and rings are mounted correctly, you can purchase some hardware to remedy this issue. Leupold sells windage adjustable bases that should help. Also, I believe Burris' Zee rings also have some offset inserts that can add some adjustment to your windage turrets. I have heard of this issue happening, but not in a long time. However, I suppose it's common enough that a couple large optics companies deemed it common enough to manufacture products to "fix" it, so take that for what it's worth.

Lastly, if you are spending a decent amount of money on this hunting trip, I would be taking this setup out and running it through a decent "torture test." No, not dropping it from a crane that has the rifle suspended 180 feet off the ground, but I would definitely give it a few good pimp slaps. If anything, just to make sure your scope remedy worked. If this hunt is important to you, you're going to want to have confidence in your setup. If I'm being completely honest, I don't have confidence in your setup.

Reactions: Ronws
Prior to the scope losing zero, it was not having the problem. The scope was perfect & reliable for years. I don't recall how many shots it took, but I was playing around with different ammo (all factory loads, not my own re-loads) and when the problem first reared its' head, I thought the gun didn't like the ammo I was using so I tried different ammo, finally realizing the ammo was not the problem, it was just shooting too erratically. I wouldn't use up a whole box of any ammo in one shooting session.
I didn't take the gun on the trip. I used my older gun, a Weatherby Vanguard 308 with a Nikon scope, shot a caribou at 268 yards, in late October.
The scope was at Zeiss at that time. The trip was great, Greenland. The hunt was $3,800.00, but what caught me off-guard was the air fare, ugh.
I don't trust the setup right now at all.
Yes I read about the Leupold rings, it just struck me that the adjustable feature could just be another thing that has to be tight (adding a new potential point of failure?)? That may be the best option though.
I won't drop it from a crane, but it will get some exercise on a tree stand rope !
Thank you for the input.

Reactions: Ronws
One other thought...right behind the turrets there is an indent in the scope barrel. I think this is a stop for the rear ring. Maybe I should just move the scope to get the ring on the indent. I lapped these rings just exactly to avoid any ring issues, but at this point I'd try anything ! Also, the scope is already pretty far back, but I guess another 1/2 inch wouldn't hurt anything.

You shouldn't need to lap Talley rings.
The fact that you did may have caused your windage issue.
Grab an EGW base and a set of Vortex or Warne rings and install them.

DO NOT LAP THEM.

Boresite your scope and see what you get.

If you're not near center, then you most likely have a receiver hole alignment issue.

Personally, I think the lapping caused the issue you're having.

Have you installed that scope on a different rifle to check it?

You shouldn't need to lap Talley rings.
The fact that you did may have caused your windage issue.
Grab an EGW base and a set of Vortex or Warne rings and install them.

DO NOT LAP THEM.

Boresite your scope and see what you get.

If you're not near center, then you most likely have a receiver hole alignment issue.

Personally, I think the lapping caused the issue you're having.

Have you installed that scope on a different rifle to check it?
This morning I went to remove the scope, and found the windage adjustment knob is now seized. It will not turn either direction. I put the scope in a box and sent it off to Zeiss for repair. I will go with a different set of rings was wondering if I should use a pic rail. I think that is the best move. I guess anything is possible, but after lapping, that scope lays in those rings like a big boulder laying in it's ditch, it is rock solid.

Pic rail will raise the scope height. Also, pic on what you have is real bulky. I’d just try a different scope. Unless you hate the rings. Then try a diff scope in Burris signature rings.

This morning I went to remove the scope, and found the windage adjustment knob is now seized. It will not turn either direction. I put the scope in a box and sent it off to Zeiss for repair. I will go with a different set of rings was wondering if I should use a pic rail. I think that is the best move. I guess anything is possible, but after lapping, that scope lays in those rings like a big boulder laying in it's ditch, it is rock solid.
Damn bro, well, I guess you're hopefully gonna have some resolution one way or the other. However, I am frustrated for you simply because there was an obvious issue as observed by you and the KY-based Zeiss folks, but they then send it off to the ''masters'' in Germany, and magically, it was perfect.

Whoever you're corresponding with over at Zeiss, I would be certain to ask them to triple check that sucker before they send it back to you, which definitely means that they need to shoot with it.

I'm sure it'll work out for you.

On a side note, how has the customer service from Zeiss been? Are they timely in their responses? Have they covered your shipping? Have you been charged for anything?

It's always nice to have some anecdotal examples...out of all my years in this sport, I've never heard of anyone having to go through Zeiss's CS department.

Much appreciated.

Did you have this issue with the windage turret when you were first using it during your 200 yard practice? How many shots did you shoot before you were no longer hitting your POA? There are several variables that could cause this issue. These could arise from the rifle itself (misaligned base holes), or the optic (reticle off center, mechanical issues, etc...), but we would need more details.

Assuming your rail and rings are mounted correctly, you can purchase some hardware to remedy this issue. Leupold sells windage adjustable bases that should help. Also, I believe Burris' Zee rings also have some offset inserts that can add some adjustment to your windage turrets. I have heard of this issue happening, but not in a long time. However, I suppose it's common enough that a couple large optics companies deemed it common enough to manufacture products to "fix" it, so take that for what it's worth.

Lastly, if you are spending a decent amount of money on this hunting trip, I would be taking this setup out and running it through a decent "torture test." No, not dropping it from a crane that has the rifle suspended 180 feet off the ground, but I would definitely give it a few good pimp slaps. If anything, just to make sure your scope remedy worked. If this hunt is important to you, you're going to want to have confidence in your setup. If I'm being completely honest, I don't have confidence in your setup.
You had me at "a few good pimp slaps." Brought an image to mind that I cannot get rid of. A la Joe Rhea, AKA, Joe the Cyclops. Damn it.

• Haha
Reactions: FALex
@Mike Casselton is 100% right on all counts. Get you an EGW HD 1-piece scope base (pic rail), and a good set of rings (I prefer Seekins Precision).

If that isn't close to center when you re-boresight your scope, then you're receiver holes are misaligned. I have an old Ruger 10/22 that is a little off, as well (not as bad as your's). So, I ended up putting an EGW base on it, and a better scope with a lot more windage adjustment to allow the correction in a set of Seekins rings, and now everything works great. 👍🏼

Also, it's 2022, and machining tolerances are MUCH better than they used to be, thanks to CNC. So, with a good quality base (like the EGW) and a good precise set of rings (like the Seekins Precision), you will not have to lap them to get a precision fitment.

Also, like Mike said, have you tried it on a different rifle to see if it's the scope, or your rifle? You might be surprised to find out that it's the rifle's scope holes being drilled off-center. It might be pricey, but any good gunsmith can fill those holes, and then re-drill them straight with your receiver alignment, because aligning them off your bore is not always accurate. Some factory barrels sit crooked on the receiver face, causing this same issue, as well. Make sure you're barrel ain't sitting crooked.

Zeiss service has been pretty awesome. EXCEPT for the part where the initial diagnosis was that it failed the POI test, then it didn't fail. Turn around time for the initial diagnosis was less than 10 days, and I had the scope back (from Germany) within 30 days. They return emails within hours, and seem to really want to help.
Meanwhile, after I shipped the scope off, I went out and bought a "cheap" scope, a 3-12 Styrka, and put it on the gun, and come to find the same problem, scope bottoms out on windage...so...now I don't think I have a scope problem (other than the jammed windage knob).
I need to get a set of rings that will allow some windage adjustment from the rings, Burris or Browning I believe both have them.
All of this does not explain why the gun lost 0 suddenly, but between a couple of inspections by Zeiss, and a new set of bases/rings, I will have caught the problem.

One comedic moment, I bought the Styrka and asked the salesman "I noticed you had a lot of these scopes and now you only have one or two on the shelf". He said "yea, we can't get them in fast enough, we're waiting on a shipment, people love them". I never really heard of this brand so when I got home I checked them out on the internet. Turns out my poor dealer is going to be waiting for that next shipment for a very long time, Styrka went out of business in 2020.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Yeah, that sucks for him about the Stryka…I’ve never heard of them.

Glad Zeiss is getting you taken care of, and good to know that you’ve found the scope windage was not the problem.

I would check barrel alignment before doing anything. The scope base holes might be square to the receiver. If your barrel is crooked, then you have much bigger problems, that require a gunsmith. It’s simple to check. You can get a rough idea by putting a large 90° speed square along the receiver, and see if the barrel is favoring towards or away any certain direction, and is not square with the receiver. If so, have a gunsmith true (square) the receiver & bolt faces, and then either have him recut the shoulder on your factory barrel, or have him chamber and install a high-quality aftermarket barrel. If the barrel appears straight, I’d then try to check alignment of the scope base holes in the receiver, to see if they are drilled crooked from the factory. If so, the smith can fill (weld) the holes in, and then re-drill then square to the receiver on a mill. The good news is that either way, this can be fixed by a competent gunsmith. 👍🏼

Personally, if it comes down to a gunsmith, I’d have them blueprint the action, and put a whole new Bartlein, Proof Research, or Christensen Arms barrel on it. 👍🏼

Welcome to ziess
There full of problems
Losing zero on elevation turret is also a problem.

Reactions: Oceansnaps