• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss Conquest V6 vs LRP S3 glass

Dr.Zaius

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2023
Colorado
I get all the differences between the V6 and the S3. Turrets, SFP/FFP, etc. How does the glass compare between the two? The V6 is German glass and the S3 is Japanese(?). Is the S3 glass as good or better than the V6? I can’t find any LRP S3 locally to look through one. What are opinions on the Zeiss LRP S3 glass quality?

Well first you need to figure if you want/need SFP or FFP? No need to worry about comparisons if you want SFP. Never used a V6 but the S3 glass is excellent. Here's a thread on them.

Reactions: Dr.Zaius
Well first you need to figure if you want/need SFP or FFP? No need to worry about comparisons if you want SFP. Never used a V6 but the S3 glass is excellent. Here's a thread on them.

SFP or FFP doesn’t matter too much to me. They both have their pros and cons. I have both and it doesn’t matter too much either way.

I’m more interested in a glass comparison between the two. The V6 has some amazing glass and I was wondering if the S3 is close to it?

Edit:
I watched that review awhile back. It’s pretty good.

I get all the differences between the V6 and the S3. Turrets, SFP/FFP, etc. How does the glass compare between the two? The V6 is German glass and the S3 is Japanese(?). Is the S3 glass as good or better than the V6? I can’t find any LRP S3 locally to look through one. What are opinions on the Zeiss LRP S3 glass quality?
The V6 is some of the nicest hunting glass Zeiss offers. The V8 is "better", but honestly, IMO, it's not really a huge step-up over the V6 to justify the huge price jump. I have a bunch of V4's and the glass is great in them, and several of the old Conquest MC's that had actual SCHOTT glass in them (assembled in USA). Looked through a few V6's. And own an LRP S3 6-36x56. The LRP S3 is insane glass for the money. Yes, the entire scope is built by LOW in Japan...Same with the Conquest V4 scopes. The same place that builds the Vortex Razor scopes, and the glass for Nightforce and many other top-tier brands of optics.

If you are looking for a nice super light hunting scope with exposed turrets, and don't mind SFP and MOA adjustments, then the V6 is going to an excellent option.

If you are looking for a really nice tactical scope with big turrets, tons of adjustment, and don't mind a big chunky heavy monster scope, then the LRP S3 is a solid option. If your hunting rifle is light enough, then you can get away with the LRP S3 and still be fine on weight.

Glass comparison will not be that far off. There will be differences, of course, based on different manufactures and lens coatings, etc... But the glass in my LRP S3 is absolutely top-notch for it's price tag.

The V6 is some of the nicest hunting glass Zeiss offers. The V8 is "better", but honestly, IMO, it's not really a huge step-up over the V6 to justify the huge price jump. I have a bunch of V4's and the glass is great in them, and several of the old Conquest MC's that had actual SCHOTT glass in them (assembled in USA). Looked through a few V6's. And own an LRP S3 6-36x56. The LRP S3 is insane glass for the money. Yes, the entire scope is built by LOW in Japan...Same with the Conquest V4 scopes. The same place that builds the Vortex Razor scopes, and the glass for Nightforce and many other top-tier brands of optics.

If you are looking for a nice super light hunting scope with exposed turrets, and don't mind SFP and MOA adjustments, then the V6 is going to an excellent option.

If you are looking for a really nice tactical scope with big turrets, tons of adjustment, and don't mind a big chunky heavy monster scope, then the LRP S3 is a solid option. If your hunting rifle is light enough, then you can get away with the LRP S3 and still be fine on weight.

Glass comparison will not be that far off. There will be differences, of course, based on different manufactures and lens coatings, etc... But the glass in my LRP S3 is absolutely top-notch for it's price tag.

That was an awesome response. You definitely sold me on a S3.

Reactions: Stoweit and FuhQ
That was an awesome response. You definitely sold me on a S3.
You won’t regret the purchase. Fair warning though, it is a big heavy chonky scope. It’s not a lightweight hunting scope. I recommend finding a local dealer with one that will walk outside with you, and let you look through it in person before purchasing. Just so you’re aware of the sheer weight and size of the S3.

Also, I prefer MILs over MOA, but that is personal preference.

Here’s a few pics comparing my LRP S3 6-36x56 (39.1 oz) vs. my Conquest V4 6-24x50 (24.4 oz). Keep in mind, the LRP S3 weighs about a full 1 lbs. more than the V4…

LRP S3 6-36x56

IMG_8249.jpeg
IMG_8250.jpeg

V4 6-24x50

IMG_5536.jpeg
IMG_5540.jpeg

Last edited:
I have one of my V4’s currently removed from a rifle, I’ll try to take a pic with it directly next to the S3 this evening for a true comparison.

You won’t regret the purchase. Fair warning though, it is a big heavy chonky scope. It’s not a lightweight hunting scope. I recommend finding a local dealer with one that will walk outside with you, and let you look through it in person before purchasing. Just so you’re aware of the sheer weight and size of the S3.

Also, I prefer MILs over MOA, but that is personal preference.

Here’s a few pics comparing my LRP S3 6-36x56 (39.1 oz) vs. a Conquest V4 6-24x50 (24.4 oz). Keep in mind, the LRP S3 weighs about a full 1 lbs. more than the V4…

LRP S3 6-36x56

View attachment 8142309
View attachment 8142310

V4 6-24x50

View attachment 8142311
View attachment 8142312

Thanks for the pictures. I figured the S3 would be more in line with a Vortex Razor for size and weight. I went to several stores over the weekend and can’t find anyone with a S3.

I’m going to pull the trigger on a S3 and put it on a AR10 I have. It’s one that I don’t plan on humping up and down the mountains too much.

My next purchase is probably going to be a Bergara B14 and I think a V6 will be going on it.

Last edited:
This will hopefully show the massive size difference in the V4/V6 optic size vs. the LRP S3 6-36x56... This is why the S3 weighs in at a whole 1 lbs. more than then V4 6-24x50.

IMG_8394.jpeg

IMG_8395.jpeg

Last edited: