• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss HD 5-25 Rapid Z Varmint, or Vortex PST or Weaver FFP Tac. (HELP)

groundhogbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Western NC
I was just offered a trade for my AR on here for an HD Zeiss HD 5-25 Rapid Z Var ret. I have my Beanland 260 that I'm gonna hunt, and shoot steel to 1K, and was wondering if the PST, would be a better option. The only thing I don't like about the Zeiss is the 1" tube, but it will be on a 20moa base, and has plenty of elevation to get to 1K. Which would you guys go with. If it sales, I'm buying a Bushy HDMR, but I'm losing a crapload of $ selling it at $1100, and I've had some good trade offers, but just not the glass for LR shooting. I shoot a Weaver 3-15 on my 5R in FFP, and hit steel no problem at 1K, would you rather have this as the Weaver?

The Zeiss HD's are nice to look through and the rapid Z can potentially be cool to setup for shooting fast at various ranges without spinning the turrets, but before you are serious about owning one, I suggest you go to Zeiss's website and fool with their ballistic calculator. Enter in your primary load and play with it and see if you will be in the mag range you like. The main drawback to such a reticle system is the ranges will never perfectly all match up at all subtentions, and when you get it close where you want it, it is only good at that exact magnification. Change your load or atmo conditions; change your magnification to correspond. They are not the reticle to use for dialing out long range, but do have great glass and are super fast when setup to work well with a particular ballistic profile.

Thanks for the advice but I traded my gun for a new NF NXS 3.5-15x50 ZS HS, with Velocity 1000 ret. I had offered it to a TV show host a month or so ago, and he decided he wanted to trade. I will be having a side by side comparison of the Weaver/NF/and Vortex with a few of my buds pretty soon, and hope to get it posted on here.