• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Zeiss LRP Low Light Performance/Illumination

Tyler Kemp

Print Daddy
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
MO
mkmachining.com
Like a dummy I forgot to bring a ZCO for comparison, but still thought folks would appreciate these.

4:06 PM, about 30 minutes till sunset, doe overwatch

IMG_9890.JPG

4:20, sunset imminent, tree at 400 yards. Low, medium, and high illumination for comparison. Probably 10% above minimum, then halfway in the range, and about 10% below maximum. The bleed is more of a camera thing than it appears to the eye.

IMG_9905.JPG

IMG_9908.JPG

IMG_9913.JPG

4:25, 700ish yards on treetops

IMG_9918.JPG

4:25, 250 yards into some brush with depth

IMG_9919.JPG

5:00, sun has been set for a while and nearing end of legal shooting time. Still REALLY nice and much brighter than naked eye. Reticle is at maybe 15%

IMG_9923.JPG

Smoked a doe at 400, 5:05PM. Quite dim out to the naked eye now. Illumination really helped here, this is the first time I've used illumination while hunting and actually found it to be of benefit.
IMG_9925.JPG

She was a horse

IMG_9926.JPG

Yote at 470 yards on the move the next night. This photo was taken at 5:05 and I took the shot around 4:55 I would estimate.
IMG_9929.JPG

Illumination is clutch in low light hunting. You hear it all the time “I never use illumination, even while hunting”…I’m not sure why people don’t use it more often…I’m guessing it’s probably simply because they just haven’t really tried it or haven’t had the opportunity to shoot anything at a time when it’s beneficial. When you use it though, it’s never a question of whether or not you can see your reticle to engage a target. The limiting factor is only the ability to accurately identify your target and shot placement. Personally, I use it every time I hunt or shoot in low light, especially if shooting towards a dark background or hunting in timber, and is why I want it in every scope I purchase. Now that you’ve used it and seen the utility, I’m going to bet that you’ll probably think to turn it on once light even gets a little low. It doesn’t take much to make all the difference.

Last edited:
Awesome deer Tyler!

What are your thoughts on the LRP now you have some more time. Do you think it rivals the ZCO or is still in that lower bracket with the 7-35NF, MK5, S&B, ect. Trying to decide to give one of these a shot for a NRL22 gun or just buy another ZCO.

Thanks!

My thoughts on the LRP is it is a kickass scope.

Do I think it rivals the ZCO? Yes.

Do I think it's better than the ZCO? No.

Each has areas they excel:

The ZCO has superior texturing/surfacing on knobs & turrets. The ZCO turrets are also a bit lower profile. The entire scope is a bit lower profile, I think a ZCO is not as wide as the LRP, which is substantial in the turret region.

The Zeiss has big turrets. Not obscenely tall, but still tall. Hefty in diameter as well. The locking windage feels super secure. The "More-Tactile Clicks" every mil are really nice, and I greatly enjoy the large & tall turrets with the precise mil markings that let you dial much more accurately than you'd think without even looking. The Zeiss also has simply the best illumination I've seen. As mentioned above I'm no illumination connoisseur.

Reticles are opinion based. I like the Zeiss reticle a lot, I also like the MPCT-2, 3, and 3x on the ZCOs.

Turret and knob tension are also an opinion thing, but they both aren't "too easy" or "too difficult" to turn.

Glass quality I cannot discern a winner here, which means good things for both. I have heard that in low light settings the ZCO is a small amount brighter. Cannot confirm nor deny, but I will be able to soon when our latest shipments show up from both companies.

Exceptionally nice glass on both.

Overall I think the ZCO fits a slightly lower profile package, more suited to tighter quarters PRS/NRL type stuff if getting through windows is a concern. The Zeiss has absurd amounts of elevation and is suited excellently for a true dedicated long range setup, although at 5x it sure does give a gorgeous view glassing around.

The Zeiss went well enough on my 338 Lapua AI that I ordered one for personal use, if that says anything. And I'm typically a cheap bastard!

The illuminated center looks kind of overwhelming. probably just the picture. need to see it with my eye.

Like a dummy I forgot to bring a ZCO for comparison, but still thought folks would appreciate these.

4:06 PM, about 30 minutes till sunset, doe overwatch

View attachment 7754960

4:20, sunset imminent, tree at 400 yards. Low, medium, and high illumination for comparison. Probably 10% above minimum, then halfway in the range, and about 10% below maximum. The bleed is more of a camera thing than it appears to the eye.

View attachment 7754961

View attachment 7754962

View attachment 7754963

4:25, 700ish yards on treetops

View attachment 7754964

4:25, 250 yards into some brush with depth

View attachment 7754965

5:00, sun has been set for a while and nearing end of legal shooting time. Still REALLY nice and much brighter than naked eye. Reticle is at maybe 15%

View attachment 7754967

Smoked a doe at 400, 5:05PM. Quite dim out to the naked eye now. Illumination really helped here, this is the first time I've used illumination while hunting and actually found it to be of benefit.
View attachment 7754968

She was a horse

View attachment 7754970

Yote at 470 yards on the move the next night. This photo was taken at 5:05 and I took the shot around 4:55 I would estimate.
View attachment 7754974
Nice pistol setup!

The 45-70 doesn't mess around. I can miss so powerfully with it!
No doubt! My little .45 Colt lever action carbine loaded with hot & heavy Buffalo Bore ammo can put some nasty-looking bruises on my shoulder. Yet, I keep taking that punishment. Guess it kinda brings out the masochist in me... 😮 ;)

Thanks for posting up your impressions of this new Zeiss!