• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50mm OR Nightforce NX8 4-32x50mm F1

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
For paid learning, self training, some ELR, some local competitions of the PRS, Steel Challenge, and general gun-Fu variety, which of the two would you choose in FFP, Mil-Mil? It'll be going on a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in 6.5cm.

The Zeiss would have their sole Mil reticle option the MRi-16. The NF would be the Mil-XT.

The one thing that is of note is the Zeiss is very new and we just can't know its long term reliability, durability, and general ruggedness- but it's an appealing scope just like NF.

You're comparing two different mag ranges when both the S3 and NX8 have pretty direct comparisons

Pick a reticle. Theyre both fine scopes. The S3 probably has the edge being newer

I have the Zeiss, like it so far. I like the 10mil turrets for NRL hunter. Yes that scope is new, but Zeiss is certainly not. I had an NX8 awhile back it was fine also. Maybe you could look through both.

Reactions: Milf Dots
You're comparing two different mag ranges when both the S3 and NX8 have pretty direct comparisons

Pick a reticle. Theyre both fine scopes. The S3 probably has the edge being newer
I'm not sure I understand your point about two different mag ranges- the Zeiss LRP S3 is available in 4-25x50 (and 6-36x56). The NF NX8 I mentioned is a 4-32x50.

In that price range the T6 5-30 is a level up IMO. I still like the s3 bc of its much smaller footprint. I don’t want a huge scope on some rifles and it fits well on those. But for comps or if I had to pick one scope the T6 would win over the S3. The S3 36x would probably hang with the T6 but it’s a few hundred more.

I'm not sure I understand your point about two different mag ranges- the Zeiss LRP S3 is available in 4-25x50 (and 6-36x56). The NF NX8 I mentioned is a 4-32x50.
Saying its probably better to compare the 2.5-20 and 4-25. Then 4-32 and 6-36

But you may have reasons (4 bottom end or weight) to mismatch

In that price range the T6 5-30 is a level up IMO. I still like the s3 bc of its much smaller footprint. I don’t want a huge scope on some rifles and it fits well on those. But for comps or if I had to pick one scope the T6 would win over the S3. The S3 36x would probably hang with the T6 but it’s a few hundred more.

Street price of the T6Xi is about the same as the S3 6-36x but both as more than the 4-25x. I got both in the safe now and the Steiner is a good scope. I would not call it a step up though. I'd say they are on the same level. Pick a reticle and knobs you like best and you can't go wrong. I would be looking at the Steiner and Zeiss options over the NF also but if he needs wants the S3 4-25 it might be for the 46.5 mils of elevation and that would beat out the 26 mils in the Steiner if needing to go real long or a rimfire.

Milf, yes the Zeiss S3 are new but as mentioned Zeiss isn't. Break down what you want for power range and which reticle you like and go. I never used the NF NX8 but when reading the thing that always comes up is smaller eye box. The Zeiss has a nice eye box that's easy to get behind. Can't really go wrong with either if it has what you need.

Street price of the T6Xi is about the same as the S3 6-36x but both as more than the 4-25x. I got both in the safe now and the Steiner is a good scope. I would not call it a step up though. I'd say they are on the same level. Pick a reticle and knobs you like best and you can't go wrong. I would be looking at the Steiner and Zeiss options over the NF also but if he needs wants the S3 4-25 it might be for the 46.5 mils of elevation and that would beat out the 26 mils in the Steiner if needing to go real long or a rimfire.

Milf, yes the Zeiss S3 are new but as mentioned Zeiss isn't. Break down what you want for power range and which reticle you like and go. I never used the NF NX8 but when reading the thing that always comes up is smaller eye box. The Zeiss has a nice eye box that's easy to get behind. Can't really go wrong with either if it has what you need.
Where can I get a S3 36x for $1850? I want in.

I'm a Steiner and Zeiss dealer. Don't have any T6Xi on the shelf (very low amount of requests) but can get em. Plenty of S3, S5 available in inventory.

The S3 glass is superior to the NX8. Many other aspects are personal preference, but I like the turrets and illumination on the S3 more than the NX8. There are of course concessions that come with an 8x mag range that the end user will have to determine are worth it.

Feel free to PM with any questions or optics desires!

I'm a Steiner and Zeiss dealer. Don't have any T6Xi on the shelf (very low amount of requests) but can get em. Plenty of S3, S5 available in inventory.

The S3 glass is superior to the NX8. Many other aspects are personal preference, but I like the turrets and illumination on the S3 more than the NX8. There are of course concessions that come with an 8x mag range that the end user will have to determine are worth it.

Feel free to PM with any questions or optics desires!
How much better is the S5 versus the S3? Is it $1000 better?

How much better is the S5 versus the S3? Is it $1000 better?
That depends. Is a Supersnake worth it over a standard GT500?

The eyebox difference is noticeable.

The glass on the S5 is noticeably better, but the S3 is really good for the price (I've posted some glass comparisons previously)

I love the huge turrets on the S5, but not everyone does.

The S5 simply has the best illumination I've ever used.

Both I believe are nice values, I liked the S5 well enough I bought some for personal use. The last bit of performance costs the most with any industry and if it's worth it is a true soul-searching type thing.