• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss or Leupold light(ish) weight 3-18 scope?

91Eunozs

The Man (Retired)
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2013
    south central Texas
    My barrel chambered in 300WSM should be ready soon, and hopefully only another couple months for my ’AnTi‘ action from Defiance Machine to be made for my new lightweight SA hunting rifle based on MDT’s lightweight HNT chassis.

Need to decide on a scope sooner rather than later and have a conundrum.

I’m an admitted recovering Leupold fan boy, but was planning on picking up another VX-6HD in 3-18x44 anyway because of the weight. However, I just got a notice for a demo Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 that’s actually a couple hundred bucks cheaper, and only a little bit heavier at 22.2 ozs.

However, I have no first-hand experience with Zeiss scopes.

I aready have several Leupy scopes, including a VX6; they work well for my purposes. Also have a couple NF scopes and a S&B, so I also have some appreciation for what good glass should look like. My gut’s telling me to go with the Zeiss for this price, but anything I should consider?

Are Zeiss scopes gtg in the field? This will be carried in PNW and Colorado pine forests in the winter, and in the rain, as well as out in the middle of Texas in 100+ degree heat.

Thanks in advance for any advice based on actual hands on experience…

The V6 line uses top of the line Schott glass. HD glass is very good, but falls short of Schott glass. 3oz difference should not play into this decision at all. From the PNW region. A++

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    The V6 line uses top of the line Schott glass. HD glass is very good, but falls short of Schott glass. 3oz difference should not play into this decision at all. From the PNW region. A++

Agreed on the weight issue. I'm in Idaho. I've hunted everything that runs, jumps, or swims, in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana for 45 years. I'm 56 now and carry a 12lb 300 Norma.

Carry the gear you want. I guarantee you a few pounds here and there won't change anything. Let alone a few ounces.

Reactions: 91Eunozs