• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss S3 6-36 vs Tract 4.5-30

penguinofsleep

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Somewhere USA
So I've handled both of these before but I can't clearly remember right now nor have I tried them side by side. For those who own both or have a more fresh memory of these two compared to each other, how do they compare to each other when it comes to finer details? And if anyone knows, how well do either of these track over a large sample size - i.e. do I have a better chance of a scope that tracks well with one or the other? Or, if we need to extrapolate and include the 6-36 Razor or 4.5-30 Cronus, Tenmile, and Stryker - any comments there?

Also own a 4-25 Zeiss and a 4-25 Toric and have been happy with both. I know it's not a direct comparison as these two seem to be a same base model with some more subtle differences whereas the 6-36 vs the 4.5-30 are different base models with more notable differences.

Based on memory when handling their big brother models and ownership of the little brother models:
As expected, better "eye box" on both big brother models simply due to 56mm obj. Eye box is a bit tight and parallax is a little unforgiving on both 4-25 models for me and my main complaint with both of these.
Prefer the Christmas tree part of the Zeiss reticle, turret feel, and glass slightly. Clicks were slightly more distinct on the Zeiss and I guess their particular Schott glass and coating were a little less straining after a while on my eyes vs the Tract one but the Tract glass was slightly more clear on smaller objects at distance - regardless, the glass on both is still good.
Prefer the main crosshair in the Tract reticle, slightly better pricing (probably expected per the slightly lower magnification though), great support, and a marked parallax knob. Nothing wrong with Zeiss support the one time I've needed it, but being able to talk to an owner at Tract and get great direct support is a small plus for me.
Anything else unmentioned is close enough between the two for me to not mention it.

Reactions: QT101
Had both and the glass was better on the Zeiss. Clearer in mirage and also at distance on targets. Eye box was a little tighter in the Tract but plenty easy to get behind. I liked the reticle in both. The knobs get tall on the Tract when unlocked and I like the size of the Zeiss knobs better. Both track. I'd take the Zeiss of the two but the Tract is a good scope.

Never looked through a Tract, but I've been very impressed with my LRP S3 6-36x56, especially for the price.

Reactions: Stoweit
The tract toric is a nice scope .

Yes it is but like every decision there are things to look at and make choices between the two.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

I'll say now that I was leaning towards the Zeiss already as I vague recalled that it had the slightly bigger eye box and the glass being easier on my eyes. Wanted to double check mechanical tracking and other little details I may have overlooked or forgotten though, especially with both Tract and Zeiss sales going on and the price difference opening back up again.