• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss s3 6-36x56

javy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Texas
I know this optic has good reviews and compared well with optics in its class.
My question is revolves around warranty work being a German scope.
Has there been many that needed to be returned and time it takes for needed repairs.
It is on my very short list and have this concern.
Thanks

I had a Zeiss optic that I sent back for repair work. It was a nightmare. And they still charged me shipping and it was under warranty. They took 7 weeks to get it back to me and while they had fixed it, they didn't even bother to replace the turret know that was buggered up.

Does not sound very appealing.
Stateside repair facility or back to factory??

Haven't had an issue with mine, and it's a phenomenal scope.

IMG_1656.jpeg
IMG_2240.jpeg

They're good scopes. I have sold a pile (for a small shop) of S3s and haven't heard of a single issue. Happy to price you out a scope, or combo with mount/rings/caps, etc.

Reactions: FuhQ
What model optic was that?

Very important question seeing as we are talking about the S3 and not one of the many other lines of scopes they offer.

Have had my S3 6-36 since March and have run it in a bunch of matches and it's an excellent scope. Great glass, reticles and knobs. I am not too worried about needing the warranty but it is lifetime so it's covered if I do.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 101103.jpg

Very important question seeing as we are talking about the S3 and not one of the many other lines of scopes they offer.

Have had my S3 6-36 since March and have run it in a bunch of matches and it's an excellent scope. Great glass, reticles and knobs. I am not too worried about needing the warranty but it is lifetime so it's covered if I do.

View attachment 8267651
How does it stack up against the Vortex GIII 6-36?

How does it stack up against the Vortex GIII 6-36?

Had them setting next to each other and had a buddy, who owned the Gen III, and I look through both on the same day in same conditions and they were basically the same. I thought the Zeiss had a little edge in glass but both were excellent.

Reactions: medic103 and FuhQ
I also have both and will echo that the eye box is the most noticeable difference. Gen 3 razor is more forgiving, but I love the Zeiss. To me it’s a toss up between the two.

I have a few of each, and would take the Razor for the eye box and turrets if I was paying the same for both. If the Zeiss was 20% cheaper, for sure consider one 👍

They're good scopes. I have sold a pile (for a small shop) of S3s and haven't heard of a single issue. Happy to price you out a scope, or combo with mount/rings/caps, etc.
Could you please PM me the best available price for LRP S3 4-25? Thank you

I'd personally choose the Razor Gen 3 and Element Optics Theos over the Zeiss LRP S3 even though the Zeiss goes in sale for $1800 or less due to their better warranty especially the fact of their quickest turn around time especially Vortex and they even pay your round trip shipping whenever or if ever you need to use their hassle free lifetime warranty and Zeiss electronics in their scopes such as illuminated reticles only have a 5 year limited warranty. Logistics plays a role in warranty turn around time when they send them overseas internationally to Germany for repairs while Vortex and Element Optics and Tract Optics just send you brand new replacement scopes right away for warranty exchanges instead of waiting for repairs.

The $2299 Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 made my decision to buy the much cheaper priced $1494 Tract Toric ELR 4-25x50 version of this scope a real no brainer not only based on the whopping $800+ price difference but consider the ease of use less to unscrew to actually set the zero stop and no parallax numbered yardage markings In the Zeiss vs yardage markings on the Tract Toric ELR and most importantly for me is the real lifetime warranty including their electronics while Zeiss may be lifetime but only 5 years specially for their electronics. The Zeiss doesn't even include a sunshade which must be purchased separately at added expense while the Tract Toric ELR already comes with a matching sunshade and offers optional Tract Toric ELR 4-25x50 specific threaded into objective and clamped ocular Tebebraex flip up lens covers for $70 (cheaper and better quality IMHO than MK Machining flip ups I have on a one of my Athlon Midas Tacs) and also Tract Toric ELR 4-25x50 specific thread in Elevate mirage cap image sharpener / depth of field widener for $40. December 1st I'm ordering all of these when they have their site wide 10% off sale. $1344.60 + $63 + $36 = $1443.60 out the door with free shipping all duked up unless you live in NY then add tax to it then just need a set of Burris Signature XTR 34mm rings to keep it in perfect condition then life is good again.

The lack of yardage marking reference numbers is a real annoying pet peeve of mine and your mileage may vary since there are Hide members here that don't actually keep their optics for more than a couple of years to even have to worry about a limited 5 year warranty anyways and honestly If I were one of them and rich enough to afford to replace all of my scopes every few years I wouldn't care about a short term warranty either but unfortunately I have to keep my optics for as long as possible and rely on having the peace of mind of actually having a real lifetime warranty.

I had past the 10 year warranty experience of having to have a German made Spotter price quote to have it cleaned and or refurbished and it most certainly wasn't cheap. I ended up buying another spotter instead, Leupold's USA made (well, at least assembled I'm the USA) top of their line SX5 Santiam instead and you know I bought it because it has a real lifetime warranty and will get replaced long ways down the road if it ever fails even after it becomes obsolete.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01