• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss S3 vs Razor Gen 3 vs XTR Pro

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
Looking at the 36x variants of the zeiss s3 and razor Gen 3. Also the XTR Pro

I like the reticles and understand the turret differences between them, but how does the glass, DOF and eye box compare?

Last edited:
The price was more favorable on the S3, but I’m wary after having a sample in hand - though l didn’t get to compare optical qualities. More people have sent Razors back for turrets, but I would have had to warranty to my S3 on the reticle illumination alone had I kept it rather than returning it.

I just got two 6-36 G3s and on mine the turret complaints seem to be fixed. There’s no chance I’m accidentally pushing them down in the locked position and they’re very crisp and tacticle.

I just got two 6-36 G3s and on mine the turret complaints seem to be fixed. There’s no chance I’m accidentally pushing them down in the locked position and they’re very crisp and tacticle.
Same here. Got mine 2 weeks ago and crisp as a carrot.

Reactions: Jnull
I trust Vortex customer service and figured they’d get the turrets right with some time.

Anyone have experience with each scope comparing the actual glass quality, parallax, eye box etc

Some more thoughts on the vortex also is if you don't want locking turrets they'll delete them. Just got mine back and it's honestly IMO how it should've been designed. Windage locks. Elevation has no lock and no lift

I've picked some others brains about this and read as much as possible on here, but wanted to bump for further opinions/comparisons.

i've also added the XTR pro to the mix

Reactions: jh2785
Wanted to bump this, mostly to get updated impressions of the S3.

I’ve since picked up a razor Gen 3 and had the turrets upgraded. Great scope with only downside being the weight.

I compared it to an XTR Pro and it wasn’t close. Razor 3 a much better product overall. The XTR3i is fantastic at its price point, but I feel there’s better options for the price at the $2000 level of the XTR PRO. maybe I got a bad one, but that’s my take.

No experience with the Zeiss in comparison. Any one with further thoughts on them?

Wanted to bump this, mostly to get updated impressions of the S3.

I’ve since picked up a razor Gen 3 and had the turrets upgraded. Great scope with only downside being the weight.

I compared it to an XTR Pro and it wasn’t close. Razor 3 a much better product overall. The XTR3i is fantastic at its price point, but I feel there’s better options for the price at the $2000 level of the XTR PRO. maybe I got a bad one, but that’s my take.

No experience with the Zeiss in comparison. Any one with further thoughts on them?
@Rob01 has posted a bunch of comparisons all over with these comparisons

Reactions: YotaEer

HAVING shot all 3 look at the features (and reticle) and pick which one you can get the best deal on the hide used.

Of the 3 my favorite feature is def the tooless rezero. freaking love this as I lose allens like its my job.

GL!
DT

Reactions: b6graham
Have had all three and still have a couple S3s and Pros. How they are listed in title is how I would list glass from best down but the S3 and Gen 3 are very close. The Pro glass is still very good and better than the Gen 2. Would come down to reticle and features to the end user as to the best choice.

On the S3 illuminated reticle, some people turn it to the max power in a darker room and say they get bleed insome of the number tips and a few spots on the reticle. You will in that condition as the max power is not meant for the lower light of an inside room. There is nothing wrong with the scope. Go out to a bright sunny day and you won't see the bleed but you will see the illumination just fine where others would be too dim. Start from the lower illumination and go up is in anything darker than bright sunlight.