• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss S3 vs S&B PMll 6-36

tactserv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2012
New England
I am on the hunt for a nice scope for my Vudoo. I am going to use it for rimfire precision shooting, basically any matches in the northeast I can get to.
I have kind of focused my sights on the following:
Zeiss S3 4-24, Zeiss S3 6-36, and the S&B PMll 6-36 High Power.
I am looking for thoughts from folks who have used both, and can comment in regards to use as described above. TIA

6-36 has been my personal preference for the 22 trainers. Having both of the Zeiss S3s, 6-36 is the way to go. Message me for some pricing!

Connor

@Covertnoob5 is correct...Though the Zeiss turret design is beneficial for 22lr....consider the s5? We can get you a free pair of 15X conquest HD binos on the house with your purchase

Connor

You’re talking a tier 1 scope (S&B 6-36) vs a tier 2 scope (S3). S&B if you got the money and it won’t be particularly close.
Because everything I have read implies the S3 is performing optically above it's paygrade, I'm looking for anybody that has actualy put eyes on both.

Keep in mind that the S3 is 1/2 the price (now at EO) of the S+B. No interest in the G3 or Element Theos?

Reactions: Coolmoney
Keep in mind that the S3 is 1/2 the price (now at EO) of the S+B. No interest in the G3 or Element Theos?
I'm also wondering why the Razor G3 isn't in consideration as a midway point between the two.

My recommendation is the either the Zeiss S3 6-36 or the Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36. Both are excellent scopes. I have both of them. I am not an S&B PM2 fan due to the very neutral vermillion-color tinting the use on the glass...It's not a very bright image. The S3 and the Razor are both very bright with edge-to-edge clarity and brightness of the image. Highly recommend both of them.

Sold my S5 and got the S&B cuz the Zeiss glass is second rate

But for a RIMFIRE rig to what, 409yarss? Thats money you can spend on something g else if you get the S3

Reactions: bobby1028
For a rimfire rifle the S3 is an easy button. If you plan to go real far the 4-25 is a good choice due to the internal elevation but for most the 6-36 has more than enough elevation when on a 40 MOA base. I have a S3 6-36 on my Vudoo and really like it. Reticle is great for matches.

IMG_4059.jpg

Zeiss is supposed to be sending me an S3 6-36 for my big review. Zeiss is OEMing through LOW just like Vortex and Element so expect similar performance which is to say fantastic.

Reactions: FuhQ and YotaEer
Zeiss is supposed to be sending me an S3 6-36 for my big review. Zeiss is OEMing through LOW just like Vortex and Element so expect similar performance which is to say fantastic.
The S3 is quite impressive for the price...IMO. Apparently someone above thought it was "second rate"... But I just don't see it.

Reactions: Glassaholic
If anybody really likes the S3 turrets. Please keep it to yourself. Thanks. 😐

All kidding aside, I like the S3 and looked at it as a replacement for my M82a1. The mri reticle is pretty clean and overall it's very sturdy. But it was only tested up to 460 Weatherby Magnum/500 gr. So probably no bueno for the .50.