• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss v6 elevation limitation

catorres1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
I am looking into a scopes for a future mainly hunting build. I looked through various scopes and though the 4-32 NX8 ticks a lot of boxes for me (a little heavy for my general purpose though), my main issue that is ruling it out for me is the reticle. I shoot SFP, and my eyes are not the best....I just can't resolve that center dot well at all, and in low light, I don't think my eyes are going to be near good enough to resolve that reticle.

So I am looking hard at the Zeiss v6, 5-30. I have not been able to see a 5-30, but it seems to check the boxes for me....low weight, supposedly great dialing, fairly robust and I really like the zmoa 1 or 2 (reticle 93 or 94) reticle (at least as I have seen in on the 4-16 v4 my son has).

Problem is the elevation. I will use the rifle for hunting....elevation is fine there for me. But the rifle will also be a switchbarrel....so I'll use the same rifle to shoot longer range targets. With Hawkins 25 MOA rings, I'd like to have 70 MOA on the top. But the V6 only lists 62 MOA total travel, so that's obviously impossible. If it lined up perfectly in the center (big if?), that would mean I'd have only something like 6 MOA on the bottom and 56 on the top. I'd have to use holdover....maybe that's okay but I'd prefer not to, but for the balance, maybe I can live with it.

I always understood that generally, you don't want your scope to be living in the top or bottom of your range of adjustment, as you lose optical performance. One Zeiss salesguy I talked to at DSC this weekend claimed it was not a problem here because it technically has more travel than 62 MOA, but that is the range Zeiss says is the 'good part' , optically, of the range. He said it has more, but you lose clarity. Don't know if that is true and I dont' have a v6 to try to find out.

So the question is....generally, is this correct about the range....does this scope actually have more, or is the Zeiss rep giving me a sales pitch? And what are your thoughts about running the scope down into this range?

Thanks!

Even if you only had 40 moa of availability travel. That still takes you to 1000 yards with a 308.

Reactions: FuhQ
I think you'll have more than enough elevation travel with the V6 5-30... I have several V4 6-24x50's and with a 20MOA rail, they are pretty much topped-out on elevation at my 100 yard zero, giving me the full range to dial. Like was mentioned above, 40 MOA will take you to 1000 with a .308 Win, so if you're running a faster cartridge than this, or a higher BC bullet, you'll be more than fine to most all normal distances.

The V6 is an awesome scope. I have been very happy with the V4's for a hunting scope. Lightweight, great glass, plenty of travel, and good reticles. I can use both MIL and MOA, but I do much prefer MIL and FFP. However, like you said, for hunting inside most typical hunting distances, and SFP scope is just fine.

Thanks for the replies!

The reason I'm trying to get to 70 MOAish is because when I get to Colorado every year, I get the chance to shoot longer. Before Elk season starts, after checking zero, we usually go to a particular canyon and get the chance to shoot out to a mile or more, something I can not do at home. So I'd like a scope that can do this....I've gotten to 1780, but it took all the elevation I had on that particular scope as well as all the holdover, plus some, so I was actually not able to see the target at all, I had to find an aiming point that lined up above the target. Not what I had in mind at all.

In addition, the rings come with a 25 MOA cant, so they are going to push me down towards the bottom of the adjustment range for a 100 yard zero. Not sure I am comfortable with this. Might need to look into other options.

One might be getting two scopes....one with high mag for load dev...maybe a fixed power....and then maybe one of the 3-18's or 4-16's that have 100 plus MOA of adjustment for everything else. Not sure I can pull off much of a shot at 1 mile with an 18x though, my eyes just aren't as sharp as they used to be.

If you’re trying to go to a mile then obviously I would get something with either less top magnification or something in 34mm tube.
Actually I’d just get 2 different scopes.

I don’t take my Ares 15-60 hunting and I don’t take my S&B Ultra Klassik 3-12 to shoot long range.

Now that you've explained more info, I agree with the 2 different scopes method. Or just get 2 different rifles with 2 different scopes setup for 2 different purposes. That's what I do. I have hunting rifles, and I have target rifles. They don't typically crossover the line.

Reactions: st1650
I would choose the 3-18 over the 5-30. Mine has over 100 minutes of travel and is a much better hunting scope. I agree, two scopes for your situation may be the way to go.

I have a 3-18x50 Conquest V6 and it has over 100 minutes of travel. 3-18 is my favorite power range.

Great scope and the Schott HT glass is crystal clear.

Yeah, I would love to have different rifles for the purposes, but at the moment, not really in the tax bracket to have two great rifles. So I'm putting together (hoping) one top drawer gun rather than 2 half measures.

If I do go the 3-18 route, any thoughts on the Leica Amplus? I can get a pretty good deal on one, and they have 130 MOA....

Yeah, I would love to have different rifles for the purposes, but at the moment, not really in the tax bracket to have two great rifles. So I'm putting together (hoping) one top drawer gun rather than 2 half measures.

If I do go the 3-18 route, any thoughts on the Leica Amplus? I can get a pretty good deal on one, and they have 130 MOA....

If you want adjustment, and you like the 3-18... Get you one of these... This is what's on my main deer rifle for the huge field of view on 3x, and the reticle and abilities with 18x. And it has 30 MILs (105 MOA) of elevation adjustment. It's short, compact, and built like a tank. Some of the smoothest turrets you'll turn.

Reactions: General RE LEE