• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss Victory 8 x 26 T PRF -Camera Land - Review

fireEMT5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
S.E. Minnesota, USA
After months of debating between a Leica or a Zeiss PRF rangefinder, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Zeiss PRF from Camera Land. Many thanks to Doug and Neil for taking care of me and getting my order to me fast - top notch customer service in my book.

For some reason, Zeiss packaged the unit with a CR123 battery by mistake instead of the correct CR2 battery. In my excitement to test out my new toy, I opened the supplied battery package and tried to install. It didn't dawn on me at the time to verify Zeiss's inclued battery was not the right one. All I thought was I got a defective unit. A quick call to Neil @ Cameraland and the problem was recognized as the units they had on hand also had the wrong batteries. Here's where I must give kudos to Neil - he overnight FedEx'd to me the correct battery - above and beyond C.S. I'm sure that the overnight shipping charge was more than the cost of a couple of the correct batteries. Many thanks Neil! C.S. such as this isn't forgotten!

With the new unit now powered up and ready to go, I jumped in.

First off, the PRF is a little bigger than other brands (leica, leupy, etc.) Instead of holding it vertically like the afore mentioned, the PRF is held more like binos. Let me just say that I like this feature as it feels more steady, and both hands seem to have a natural place to hold onto the unit. While it is bigger than a Leica, it doesn't come across as too big and it fits my mitts nicely. Weight seems right, not too light where it would easily move away from your intended point of aim, but not too heavy where you'll tire from holding it up. It's not as pocket friendly as the Leica appears to be, but I don't foresee that to be a problem for my uses.

The unit comes with a nice padded nylon case that holds it shape and has a sewn nylon tab on the back if you want to wear it on your belt or lash it to a pack. The lid is secured by a ample plastic buckle. On the inside of the lid of the case is a small zippered compartment to hold the included Zeiss lens cloth. Other accessories include a eyepiece cap with tether string, as well as a lanyard to wear the unit around your neck.

The PRF is rated for a max. range of 1300 yards - under ideal conditions according to the literature.

Set up was a breeze. One long hold on the "set" button and I was into the menu. I quickly changed it from EU 0 (meters) to US 0 (yards). I have not yet turned on the ballistic feature as I don't know if I'll use it. If/when I do, I'll update this thread. One note on the ballistic feature - it is not tailored to your specific load. You have to know the drop for the round you are shooting and refer to the instructions and pick a table that is close. I'll get into that later as I'm still working up some loads and need to spend some time at the range getting drops and chrono data, then compare my actual dope to the available drop settings on the PRF.

The button to initiate ranging is easy for your finger to locate without looking. Pressing down on the button turns on the unit. When you let off the button, the range measurement is taken. I happen to like the press for on, let off for range sequence as I don't feel I'm getting off target when relaxing my finger.

If by chance you inadvertantly press the setup button instead, the setting code is displayed for a moment, but is not changed.

Took the PRF outside this AM. Time 08.00 - clear and sunny, blue skies. Each range was lasered at least 3 X and was repeatable. I'd also take a few steps forward or backward and range the same target. Dead on, then from the original spot, test again with the same repeatable result.

With a big wide open grassy field before me (on the edge of town) I was able to range the following in yards:

Black Lab (Dog)..............451
Yellow Lab...................501
Wood telephone pole..........521
Tree line w/white trash bag..475
Tree line w/another bag......521
grassy knoll out in field....448
white post...................1057
silo.........................1043
Man & black lab..............350
4x4 orange traffic sign......882
building peak/shingles.......928
2 Canadian geese.............181
2 more geese.................290
water tower..................1403

It's supposed to cloud up with the chance of rain this afternoon, hopefully giving me different conditions. I will re-range more targets then and post more data towards evening.

I will note that the ranges while very repeatable, do require a steady hand. Propping the Zeiss on top of a wooden deck railing really helped....... drank too much coffee this morning.

Hopefully later in the day I'll be able to range more people and dogs out walking. I figure if I can get repeatable ranges on 30 - 80 lb. dogs of different colors, I should be able to accurately get coyotes, deer, etc. too.

Will try to find a large pasture and range some cows of different colors tomorrow. It's supposed to rain, so that should offer some different conditions.

All in all I must say that so far I'm really impressed with the Zeiss. Other than the fact that it is bigger than the Leica, I have no complaints with it what so ever. While not a cheap unit ($699.00), it is cheaper than the Leica 1600 ($799.00)or the highly recommended Swarvo unit ($999.00).

Ah yes, the glass..... I seriously think I can leave my binos at home. The glass is crystal clear and the 8 power mag. of the unit is steller. Granted you'll be looking through a monocular, but the glass in the Zeiss is alot better than my Leupy binos.

Again I want to say "Thanks" to Doug and Neil at Camra Land. I ordered on Monday and had it in hand on Thursday. A free hat was sent too! - very unexpected and appreciated.

Edit -
Went back out this afternoon to overcast, no sun, very light drizzle. Time - 15:30

Re-ranged the targets from this morning from approx. the same spot (give or take a yard). The only different variable was another black lab dog who was strolling along.

Black Lab...................510
Same white post.............1057
grassy knoll................448
Tree line w/white bag.......475
Other tree line w/white bag.520
Same 2 Canadian geese - nesting..180
4x4 orange traffic sign......882
Same builiding peak/shingles..927
water tower.................1403

Being able to range black dogs consistantly at over 500 yards has me impressed so far. Black being one of the worst colors to reflect.

With any luck, I'll get out in the morning when it's raining harder and range some cattle or horses at further distances for comparison.

May 1, 2011 - conditions clear and sunny, mid day.

Went out again today and spotted a group of white tail does out feeding. The furthest I could get away from them was 500 yds and maintain a line of sight. Picked out several and ranged them consistantly anywhere from 450 - 500.

The PRF is showing itself to be quite capable and repeatable on the non-reflective targets I've been ranging.

I still plan on trying to range some other critters at 1000 yds. when the opportunity presents itself. More to follow.

Re: Zeiss Victory 8 x 26 T PRF -Camera Land - Review

In case anyone is interested, it seems that all the big vendors have lowered the price $100.00 down to $599.00

June 15th, mid-afternoon - temp 70 - partly sunny.

Ranged 2 does and 1 buck white tail deer from 350 - 642 yds repeatedly.

This unit continues to impress!

Very nice review, thank you. I think I'm going to be getting one of these pretty soon.

You'll be happy, it's a great unit, and does exteremely well in bright sunlight too.

Glad you're happy with it. I was one of the RFs I was looking at... until I've got the Leica 1600 as a present.

everyone, who has the Zeiss is happy with it, great instrument.

Nice review. I'm interested in hearing how well the ballistics feature works. Also if you are able to verify range accuracy on ranges with known (longish) distances such as your shooting range.

Honestly, I haven't given using the ballistic feature a second thought. I orginally planned on it, but have never gotten around to it. After working up some loads for my rifles, running them through my chrony and chewing the data through a ballistics program, I had the data I needed. This data I did verify.

From what little I know about the ballistics feature in the Zeiss, you have to pick one of the tables that most closely matches your load/bullet and go from there.

Ballistics feature aside, it's still one hell of a range finder. I'd certainly buy another one.

I went to the Zeiss site and looked at the ballistics feature. I does not give you the "dope" in mils or moa. It only gives the amount of holdover (in inches or cm) for hunting situations.