• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss Victory 8X26 T* PRF or Leica 1600 B

Assault116

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2013
In the market for a new range finder and trying to decide between a couple that I've narrowed the field to for general performance (spec'd that is) and my price range.

I'm looking at the Zeiss Victory 8X26 T* PRF and the Leica 1600 B. The Leica is towards the top of what I'm able to spend on it and the zeiss gives me some room on the price side of things. They both "should" perform to my needs which are mostly maxed out at 1000 yds for 99.999% of what I would do with it, and most of the time it's sub 800.

Anyway, I'm looking for anyone that can provide a little insight on which I should go with. If I had an extra $1200 to add to the budget for it, I'd buy a terrapin, obviously but I don't so these seem so far to be the best bang for the buck in my price range, and quite frankly, I've looked at the bushy's and the glass isn't where I need it to be to hit long range targets to get a good range on them.

Anyway, anyone have experience with both? Most of what I'd be using it for is hunting at around 600 yds max, and shooting steel out to 1K.

I just picked up a one of these Ziess about 2 weeks ago. I was in the exact same pardicument as you, couldn't afford to spend the $ on a Terrapin. I looked at the Leica as well and decided to go with the Ziess. It has worked as expected, I've ranges a dog at 1257 yrds and a small water tower at 1554yrds. that was about the extent of the range on it. I typically don't shoot past 1000yrds and for the money, you can't go wrong with this IMO. Glass is very clear, much better than the Bushnell 1600 I looked at. Hope that helps :)

It does help, I hadn't seen much discussion on the Zeiss unit, if it ranges a dog reliably at 1200 that should handle all of my uses handily.

I just picked up a one of these Ziess about 2 weeks ago. I was in the exact same pardicument as you, couldn't afford to spend the $ on a Terrapin. I looked at the Leica as well and decided to go with the Ziess. It has worked as expected, I've ranges a dog at 1257 yrds and a small water tower at 1554yrds. that was about the extent of the range on it. I typically don't shoot past 1000yrds and for the money, you can't go wrong with this IMO. Glass is very clear, much better than the Bushnell 1600 I looked at. Hope that helps :)

Not sure how you managed to get a reading on the dog at 1257 as the Zeiss's beam is 4x2 mils high and wide, 12ft by 6ft at 1000 at 1257 you might have been picking up something else?
If I was buying a rangerfinder in the price range indicated it would be the leica 1600 much, narrower beam so your sure what your ranging and not getting to much other stuff instead.
Elmer

Not sure how you managed to get a reading on the dog at 1257 as the Zeiss's beam is 4x2 mils high and wide, 12ft by 6ft at 1000 at 1257 you might have been picking up something else?
If I was buying a rangerfinder in the price range indicated it would be the leica 1600 much, narrower beam so your sure what your ranging and not getting to much other stuff instead.
Elmer

Thank you for explaining that tidbit, that helps me to make sense of that spec and what it applies to. And it makes sense. That was one of my biggest gripes about my Bushnell that I've had for about 7 years, while I only used it for bow hunting, it would still leave me with questions from time to time as to what I was really ranging.

In this area it seems the Leica has the Zeiss beat by quite a bit at .5x2.5 mils.

I think that might be the deciding factor for me.

Thank you for explaining that tidbit, that helps me to make sense of that spec and what it applies to. And it makes sense. That was one of my biggest gripes about my Bushnell that I've had for about 7 years, while I only used it for bow hunting, it would still leave me with questions from time to time as to what I was really ranging.

In this area it seems the Leica has the Zeiss beat by quite a bit at .5x2.5 mils.

I think that might be the deciding factor for me.

If its over your budget by a small amount of cash just get the Leica or else dont blow a hunt because of that beam divergence as I have done twice on big deer out at some distance.
My swaro let me done on both occasions so I sold the damn thing and bought the terrapin. Next best thing to the Terrapin is the Leica at less than half the cost!
Elmer

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Leica 1600B Demo from Camera Land, now the patient waiting starts.......

Thanks for the info guys!

You'll be happy with the Leica. I bought the PRF and returned it to buy the Leica within a day. The PRF lases too slow and the beam has too large of a divergence.

I've had a Leica 1200 LRF scan model for 5 or 6 years and been very pleased with it. No flies on the Leica!

I have had both. I sold the Zeiss to buy the Leica, mainly for size purposes. The Zeiss is so large and cumbersome to tote around the woods, mountains, etc. I was tired of it flopping around in my cargo pants pocket (The only pocket it fit in) in the mountains of MT. The Leica fits neatly in shirt, jacket, or pants pockets.

You are responding to a 4 year old thread. 1600-B's are going for good prices now days since they introduced the new 2000-B and 1600-R.