• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss Victory Rangefinding Binos - Field Review

jeffbird

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Texas
Had a chance to test some Zeiss Victory LRF 8x56 binos.

The "bird" in my handle comes from my involvement in bird conservation, doing field surveys, leading groups, and just going birding, so I have the chance to see lots of binoculars.

In short, the glass is stunning, the best I have ever seen in binoculars and that comes after having owned Bausch & Lomb Elites, Leicas, and Swarovskis. Clarity is outstanding as is color fidelity.

In low light or night conditions, the 56mm really outperform the 45mm. The downside to the 56mm objective is that they are rather large and heavy, so the 45mm might be a better choice for birding and hunting where hiking is involved.

Having said that, the rangefinder is very, very weak to point that it is not reliable enough to be useful.

With a late afternoon (4:45 p.m.) sun behind me from the 6 o'clock position and fairly humid conditions, I tried ranging cows in a field.

Out of about ten attempts, the Zeiss LRF could only 1 cow at 117 yards, and NONE of the cows beyond that range regardless of the color or position of the cow.

My Swaro LRF quickly ranged every cow out to 1100 yards without a single miss or delay.

Bottom line, the Zeiss Victory binoculars are outstanding, and well worth the money, but skip buying the rangefinding model.

Re: Zeiss Victory Rangefinding Binos - Field Review

That is really unfortunate about the range finding capabilities.

I use the Leica Geovid 10x42 binos all the time while out shooting and hunting, and have no issues ranging out to 1300 yds in most light conditions.

Re: Zeiss Victory Rangefinding Binos - Field Revie

The combination of bright light with humid conditions seems to be the most challenging for the rangefinders in my experience here in Texas, which is why I try them out in these conditions. Also, this is a common condition in the early part of deer season here.

I tried two pairs of the Geovids a couple of years ago. They are fantastic binoculars also, but had difficulty in similar conditions, although they did much better than the Zeiss.

The Swaro almost always seems to work. Hopefully Swarovski will put their LRF into some binos soon.

Wow I have the same Zeiss 8x56 Binos and I have not had a single issue.I also had a pair of Leica 8x42 and They had trouble ranging deer in the same conditions out past 250 yards or so but the Zeiss have worked great.Last year I never had a issue with mine ranging even when conditions were not ideal.I was ranging deer out to 1200 yards just last weekend.I would send them back to Zeiss there must be a problem because the Zeiss rangefinder works much better than the Leica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never tried the Zeiss LRF binos, but one would have to assume yours are defective, no? </div></div>
This! get em checked op.

I will disagree on the weak rangefinder.I have both the leica RF and also the Zeiss 8x45RF and have never had a blink about it.I have also read some reviews about tests being done by them.All of the reviews have been outstanding.My friend has the Sworo and in his and mine the Zeiss wins hands down.

Bottom line new buyers try them all if you can and be the judge.I have and with that much coin you will drop on any of them it is worth it.Buy the way some batteries are better then others.

I agree livetohunt 100%

I have a set of Zeiss 8x45RF binoculars. I friend of mine has a pair of Leica 10x42 Geovid binoculars. We compared and tested them side by side. The Ziess was superb optically. The range finder of the Zeiss not only was able to acquire the target consistently at a farther distances but were much, much quicker displaying the range (almost instantly).

I would like to compare the Steiner 10x50LRF binoculars but I have not seen any reviews as of yet. I wonder if any hide member had had any experience with them.

Well, I used the battery supplied in the box with it. After reading this I'll go buy another battery and see(and hope) if that fixes it. The glass is so phenomenal I really want them to work, so I can stop carrying binos and the separate Swaro LRF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a set of Zeiss 8x45RF binoculars. I friend of mine has a pair of Leica 10x42 Geovid binoculars. We compared and tested them side by side. The Ziess was superb optically. The range finder of the Zeiss not only was able to acquire the target consistently at a farther distances but were much, much quicker displaying the range (almost instantly). </div></div>

x2.

This is almost the exact comparison we did last August with the Leica 10x42 Geovids vs the Zeiss Victory PRF. Same results. We were ranging out to ~1300 yds.

Alright, tried changing batteries, which helped, but the Swarovski still put a hard beating on the Zeiss.

Tried less challenging targets today, buildings and street signs. A brown, three story building at 546 yards was too difficult for the Zeiss, but quickly done with the Swaro.

fwiw - The Swaro ranged streets signs to over 1300 in windy, hazy conditions as our friends to the south apparently are burning fields this time of year.

Sending the Zeiss back. I will miss the glass, but I will continue with the Swaro and separate binos until something else comes along as I need something I know will work.

Jeffbird I'd give Zeiss a call. I don't have the binos but I do have a monocular. It might not range as far a Swarovski but they are solid units. I can range street signs to well beyong 1000 yards with my unit.

Call Zeiss... We have played with a bunch of these and the Zeiss kicks all comers. I was ranging stuff with mine from 1300+ yards Saturday afternoon when it was very bright and windy.

Did you try the Zeiss binos or the monocular? I wonder if there is a difference between the two?

The vendor said send them back, so I did today.

It was hard to let go of the binos, but with deer hunting starting in less than two weeks, for now I need to go with the kit which has worked dependably for me.

let us know what happens as I am always looking for something better than the Swaro I have now. Wish Vector would make an affordable unit...I would buy it if I could.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but the Swarovski still put a hard beating on the Zeiss.</div></div>

I too agree that the Swaro's are better than the Zeiss. I had no problems ranging out to ~1500 meters. Crazy. The Zeiss were better than the Leicas but the Swaro's were better than the Zeiss.

i've running a pair of swarovision EL 10x42's myself, i'm going to take the zeiss rf binoculars out this weekend and try to repeat this test and see what results i come up with. i've ranged some objects around here with the zeiss rf binoculars and they preformed really well

jeffbird my buddy said he will trade you his 5 week old sworo RF for your not as good Zeiss in a heartbeat..But remember things happen to all things sometimes and I will promise you Zeiss will not let you down and my buddy will not give it back to you.

I hope you will find something that will work for you.Keep us posted on what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackal1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you will find something that will work for you.Keep us posted on what happens. </div></div>

The vendor, Eagle Optics, said send it back for a full refund without any hassle.

I have been using the Swaro LRF with great reliability and a separate pair of binos, but it is just inconvenient to have to carry both out hunting.

One of these days, hopefully, a unit other than a Vector will combine the two into one with the reliability of the stand alone Swaro LRF in some nice high end binoculars. Hard to understand why Swarovski has not done so yet, unless the bino LRF is inherently different in design.

Jeff before you ask for your money back, ask the dealer to check out those binos. We have several pairs in my group and they are about the best combo we can find. WE all use them because we don't like carrying both either, and find it hard to beleive you've had such poor experience.

I was very surprised by your results. I have owned the swaros and now have the zeiss 10x45 rangefinding binos and feel the zeiss are superior in every way. In good conditions, I have had no problem ranging deer at 1700 yards with the zeiss. In hazy conditions, 1000 yards has not been a problem. It sure sounds to me like something is wrong with your unit. I wouldn't be so hasty to write them off

I own Zeiss binoc lrf and have not had any problems with ranging. I have ranged in the desert at above 100 degrees heatin mid-day, so I think that qualifies as bright light conditions. Even compared them side by side to Leica geovids, and I thought Zeiss were better. Fastest to range, clarity better, easier to look through with glasses or protective lens, better grip or rubber cover. You must have a defective one.