• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zermatt Arms TL3 vs SR3 (Answered)

Iceaxe200

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2023
Yukon, OK
I'm looking to buy a Zermatt Arms action. I've been focused on TL3 as my intent is for precision f-class shooting.

However, there's an SR3 action for sale locally that's a good deal. My understanding is the SR3 is more for hunting versus precision shooting.

Looking for info on what I might miss out on by going with the SR3 instead of the TL3.
What capabilities would I not get with SR3?
Is there any expected accuracy difference between the TL3 and SR3?
Caliber is 308 Rem due to f-class match requirements. Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks

Scroll down to the bottom.

You lose the AW bottom cut, but you dont need that anyway. Its the same action with some tweaks to make it hunting friendly such as feed lips for hinged floorplate use, and the Wyatt's bottom cut.

Reactions: Iceaxe200
Scroll down to the bottom.

You lose the AW bottom cut, but you dont need that anyway. Its the same action with some tweaks to make it hunting friendly such as feed lips for hinged floorplate use, and the Wyatt's bottom cut.
Thanks for the quick response. Just checked back with the seller and they traded it this morning. I should have asked this a week back. My lose. The search continues. Thanks again.

Forgive my F class ignorance, but would an offside port be useful for you? A buddy of mine has a left bolt/right port TL3 that is pretty neat. He loves it for bench use.

I love my zermatt actions, I have 5. But a dedicated Fclass rifle, I'd take something with tighter tolerances. Bat, Defiance, or Borden. The bat igniter, HR or TR would likely be my choice. The igniter is in the $1100 dollar range. Don't see many if any zermatt, impact, arc, or lone peaks at highly competitive Fclass or BR matches. You do see some Kelbly tho, and the atlas is a good action.

I love my zermatt actions, I have 5. But a dedicated Fclass rifle, I'd take something with tighter tolerances. Bat, Defiance, or Borden. The bat igniter, HR or TR would likely be my choice. The igniter is in the $1100 dollar range. Don't see many if any zermatt, impact, arc, or lone peaks at highly competitive Fclass or BR matches. You do see some Kelbly tho, and the atlas is a good action.
Thanks for the info. I don't know what custom actions others are shooting in my local f-class group. Your comments lead me to the conclusion I should find out. All of the other f-class beginners I've been talking with shoot factory guns like me right now. I'm looking to step up my game with custom rile. I'll look into the BAT actions. I've seen a the videos ultimate reloader has about there manufacturing process but never considered them.

Thanks for the info. I don't know what custom actions others are shooting in my local f-class group. Your comments lead me to the conclusion I should find out. All of the other f-class beginners I've been talking with shoot factory guns like me right now. I'm looking to step up my game with custom rile. I'll look into the BAT actions. I've seen a the videos ultimate reloader has about there manufacturing process but never considered them.
Just a suggestion, take everything UR Gavin Toole says with a grain of salt. He does or did, require people to pay him to review, so he's very biased. If you're seeking the most information on the Fclass game, I'd join the accurate shooter forum as well. Micro accuracy is their game.

This is antiquated advice. Zermatt holds tolerances that defiance still can’t match. Zermatt for a f class is an excellent choice I shot a dasher on mine. That said the f class range does tend to favor bat and Kelbly (panda) due to their long history in the sport and have several other features that are valuable for accuracy but no anything else. Flat bottoms, conical shaped bolt faces, etc

This is antiquated advice. Zermatt holds tolerances that defiance still can’t match. Zermatt for a f class is an excellent choice I shot a dasher on mine. That said the f class range does tend to favor bat and Kelbly (panda) due to their long history in the sport and have several other features that are valuable for accuracy but no anything else. Flat bottoms, conical shaped bolt faces, etc
Adhering to a tolerance of say consistency for prefits, yes zermat has that, as does defiance now. It's the tolerances that are tighter in the raceways and bolt lockup where defiance wins. Call a high end Benchrest smith like Alex Wheeler and ask him what he recommends, it will not be a Tl3.

Let's talk fire control systems? How heavy is the fp spring on a bat? It's 25# with a pin fall of around 0.240" depending on trigger. Measure a tl3 or sr3. Their pin fall isn't even over 0.200 and guarantee the fp spring isn't 25# due to how light to bolt lift is. This will cause vertical in loads at 1k yards.

Run whatever you want, but look at what the top shooters are using in the discipline, it's not zermatt. I own a bunch, and they shoot well, but I'll take an origin over a tl3/sr3 as it has better pin fall numbers and will provide more consistent ignition.

Fclass and BR, these guys at the top are have to be shooting 1/3 to 1/4 moa at 1k yards to win. Thats a persuit of micro accuracy that most of us don't strive for.

Adhering to a tolerance of say consistency for prefits, yes zermat has that, as does defiance now. It's the tolerances that are tighter in the raceways and bolt lockup where defiance wins. Call a high end Benchrest smith like Alex Wheeler and ask him what he recommends, it will not be a Tl3.

Let's talk fire control systems? How heavy is the fp spring on a bat? It's 25# with a pin fall of around 0.240" depending on trigger. Measure a tl3 or sr3. Their pin fall isn't even over 0.200 and guarantee the fp spring isn't 25# due to how light to bolt lift is. This will cause vertical in loads at 1k yards.

Run whatever you want, but look at what the top shooters are using in the discipline, it's not zermatt. I own a bunch, and they shoot well, but I'll take an origin over a tl3/sr3 as it has better pin fall numbers and will provide more consistent ignition.

Fclass and BR, these guys at the top are have to be shooting 1/3 to 1/4 moa at 1k yards to win. Thats a persuit of micro accuracy that most of us don't strive for.

Defiance still does not guarantee tolerances tighter than zermatt so that’s myth. A floating savage style head is not inferior in lock up (no idea where you got that from or why raceways is relevant) You left out the most popular f class option by and far. The panda.

Ignition systems are not better the farther they protrude and I shoot es that are comparable to other actions so any ignition reliability arguments are out the window.

Pictured is my tl3 I actually shot in f class. That said, if you’re going all in on f class get the panda or bat.

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8316.png
    IMG_8316.png
    892.9 KB · Views: 47