• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zermatt Orgin 6.5CM light primer strikes??? ( pic heavy) *RESOLVED*

SuperToaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Hello, first I would like to say that I read the couple existing threads on light primer strikes and followed the advice that was on those threads. I wanted to post my issue as well as magdump some photos I took with this build.

I purchased a Zermatt Origin and a Proof 6.5 Creedmoor barrel prefit for the Origin. Action was put together and headspace was checked with go/ no go gauges. Go gauge closes and no go does not as normal. I paired this with a triggertech Primary trigger. Action was torqued to the recomended 85lt lbs using the zermatt action wrench.
PXL_20240407_183909995.jpg

Today I went to the range to zero the rifle and test it with 4 different store bough ammo boxes ( hornady match, Norma match, federal 120g and Hornady black). I shot a total of 20 rounds, 15 of which had what seems to be light primer strikes. The 5 that did go off the primers looked slightly harder hit. None of the ammo had issues feeding, execting or signs of pressure excess or anything like that ( it was factory ammo). You can see the difference between the fired / non fired.

Capture.PNG
lightvsHARD.PNG

I took some of the ammo and shot it out of my beraga B14 and it shot no problem, Thinking maybe the ammo might be bad.

I took the gun apart at home and checked headspace once more and go works, no go does not. I removed the trigger and re installed it. Took the bolt apart and cleaned ( no excess grease on the firing pin or anything ) I took some Hornady brass that I was reloading and added some CCI primers to them ( NO LIVE ROUNDS). I hand fed the primed ONLY casings into the chamber, and 10/11 rounds went off. The 11th round had a light primer strike. I added 5 more rounts with primers and yet again light primer strikes.
PXL_20240407_175045902.jpg

PXL_20240407_180213059.jpg

go.PNG
nOGO.PNG

The one with the blue tape is the round that upon firing the primer did not go off.

PXL_20240407_193234894.jpg

One thing I did find weird was that I measured how far the firing pin went in when the trigger was pulled OUT of the chassis and in the chassis and I came back with 2 different numbers.
OUT OF THE ACTION
PXL_20240407_180410125.jpg

In the action ( Im not sure if this is significant or not.) I checked the action screws to make sure they werent blocking anything and no they were just fine.
PXL_20240407_183615322.jpg

I have no way to test the trigger vs a stock factory trigger or whatnot ( unless you all can think of a way)
I was wonder if maybe you guys can offer me some help in diagnosing this issue?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
Looks like firing pin protrusion is short. Measure it from bolt face, should be .040 min to .050 which is what most call for.

Reactions: SuperToaster
Something else to check. I had the same problem with my Origin 300 PRC. After changing firing pin assembly out and triple checking headspace, I found that the bolt handle hit the chassis and would not go completely down. It was not a noticeable amount until I really looked at it. I modified the clearance on the chassis and have not had any issues since.

Looks like firing pin protrusion is short. Measure it from bolt face, should be .040 min to .050 which is what most call for.
Here is what I was able to measure with calipers.

Here is what I have been able to measure
(firing pin protrusion)

I also measured how far the pin goes through the back of the firing pin shrowd.
Out of the action.

In the action.

Am I drunk or should the measurement of the pin from the back of the origin action be 100% the same?

One other thing to check: What's the fired shoulder vs sized shoulder measurements? (how much bump)

Something else to check. I had the same problem with my Origin 300 PRC. After changing firing pin assembly out and triple checking headspace, I found that the bolt handle hit the chassis and would not go completely down. It was not a noticeable amount until I really looked at it. I modified the clearance on the chassis and have not had any issues since.
HOLY CRAP I think this is it!

Reactions: 308pirate
Yeah mine is definitely off. This is what I get for repurposing an Bergara chassis. I'm going to hit the bolt knob section on the chassis with a file till I can close the whole way. It was maybe 1-2 degrees off. Though I have no way to measure the angle

Action all the way down, bolt isnt
PXL_20240407_221038379.jpg

Bolt all the way down, action screws removed. Time to start filing the chassis .
Thank you guys!!
PXL_20240407_221100271.jpg

Reactions: TheOE800
That was my problem, it appeared to be going all of the way down but it wasn’t. Once you get the clearance where the bolt is positively closed all of the way, add 3-4 thousands more of clearance and you should be good to go.

PXL_20240407_233646632.jpg

It seems to close the whole WHOLE way now with some room to spare. Let's hope this it next range trip. Gonna allumahide this bit and wait for cure now!

Keep us posted. I'm going through the same issue with an Origin in 6 cm. Ray from Zermatt has been helpful and we're working on figuring out the issue. I'll have to check to see I'm getting 100% clearance between the bolt handle and my Manners stock.

I removed 6 bullets and powder. Ran all of em through the action with zero issues. Mine was closing about 90% ish. After filing, and dremel work there's good space between the action and the chassis on the handle side. Next Saturday I'm taking her to the range again but this seems very promising. Thank you for the help! And I'll update next weekend

That’s great news and easy fixes are nice, but you do some to the worst file work I’ve ever saw!!

In all seriousness I’ve had to do this to two different stocks. It happens when you repurpose things.

That’s great news and easy fixes are nice, but you do some to the worst file work I’ve ever saw!!

In all seriousness I’ve had to do this to two different stocks. It happens when you repurpose things.
Haha I have limited files so Im ok with it.( I was mainly using a large bastard file and some chinesium dremmel attachments ) I left it as is just in case I end up needing more done after my next range trip. Im going to do a smoothing pass with some small files I ordered after I verify all is good. Im also painting it.

UPDATE :D

Rifle shot fantastic, at least fantastic with me barely putting in effort. Range was kind of packed and half the time people / ROs were asking me about the rifle as it seems PRS guns arent to common at that range?

I brought a half used box of 147g hornady match, and a box of hornady black in 140g.

Now Im waiting on them 144g vld bergers
PXL_20240417_141747481.jpg

Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG