• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Zermatt/Origin action wrench alternatives?

justpassingthru

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2022
PA
So I have all the components for my build on a bighorn origin SA but I CAN’T find an action wrench for it anywhere. Who would’ve thought this would be the most difficult component to source. Bugholes and SAC are out of stock also.

So my question is does anyone know of an alternative? I’ve heard you could use a regular REM 700 action wrench, are they all size the same? I know PMA tool has one in stock, I have no problem taking out the ejector or possibly I could have a slot cut to mimic the Zermatt? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

So any wrench that’ll fit a 700 action should work? This is my first build and wasn’t sure if the internals were the same specs

So I ordered one from PMA Tool. They have a stainless action wrench for Rem 700 and the guy is going to cut the slot in for me for a little extra. I feel alot better not having to take out the extractor, it's 2 really small parts that I'll probably lose one day!

Reactions: Superjet
I use a Southern Precision wrench, it's machined with the slot for the Bighorn ejector. Or you can use any R700 wrench and remove the ejector I believe.

I use a Southern Precision wrench, it's machined with the slot for the Bighorn ejector. Or you can use any R700 wrench and remove the ejector I believe.
I was going to but would rather not have to take out the ejector. I did it once, no big deal but it’s such a small part I could see it getting lost at some point.
Front Range Precision is an option too.

Last I saw, they were in stock.

PMA works too!
Checked them all, Southern Precision, Front Range (that’s where I got my Proof barrel), Zermatt, NSS, SAC, Bruno’s and anyone else Duck Duck Go coughed up…all are out and won’t be in for 8 weeks it more (probably more nowadays).
There was a guy on another forum who was going to ship me his bugholes to borrow but was hoping to avoid the cost/hassle of shipping both ways

Last edited:
So I ordered one from PMA Tool. They have a stainless action wrench for Rem 700 and the guy is going to cut the slot in for me for a little extra. I feel alot better not having to take out the extractor, it's 2 really small parts that I'll probably lose one day!

I'm also searching for a Zermatt action wrench, If you happen to hear of any.

Or if someone near Spokane, WA sees this and wants to sell, rent or loan me one that would be cool too. :giggle:

I bought the one from Northland Shooters supply when I bought my Origin action from them. You have to take off the rail to use it.

Reactions: justpassingthru
4829A071-AE61-43CE-B60D-4763720D655F.jpeg
289CC133-DAFE-4537-AD62-008687E90E03.jpeg
So I got my Rem 700 action wrench today, slot cut out for a Bighorn Origin. Seems like there is excessive play once inserted. The two pictures shows the amount of play, in one photo it’s all the way left and the other it’s all the way to the right. Is this normal? I don’t want to torque anything and risk damaging something.

Last edited:
26188C58-2898-4DA2-B153-33F9AA2A7D4A.jpeg
Here’s a picture at the back of the action, I’m holding the wrench to the far left

Those of you who have a Zermatt, PVA, or bugholes, how does yours fit?

The paddle at the end of the wrench measures a hair over 13/16”

This may be normal I don’t know, this is my first build so I’d rather be safe than sorry

Attachments

• 4BE899D8-0EAB-4ECA-A530-F94346DB83CE.jpeg
    4BE899D8-0EAB-4ECA-A530-F94346DB83CE.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Curious to see what the answers are. I'm in the same boat with parts and no wrench and was just looking at the one from PMA last night.

DC4190FB-8A37-458A-9D89-A557CAA23C40.jpeg
So talked to a guy from Rokslide, his Bugholes wrench is tight, no slop. I’ll call PMA on Monday to see what’s up with this. It’s 3cm smaller than the raceway (is that what it’s called?). Checked it in my Bergara B14 action and the same thing.

This wrench from PMA is advertised for Remington 700 actions. Consequently, one is told that a Rem 700 action wrench will work in a bighorn action or most 700 clones. Either this wrench is way off or a regular Remington action is smaller (I don’t have access to one to find out)

Reactions: RushB
That does look awfully narrow and not as much engagement on both lugs sides as I would hope for myself.
I’d send it back myself. I prefer my external nss.
Anything that’s rem700 footprint should have the same diameter cylinder action and the action bolts match. The other stuff is just close and it seemingly isn’t very good here.

6DD3B903-D2FA-4BAD-A0A7-32E5462BB7F8.jpeg

My origins bolt lug diameter is .986, my ptg700 bolt measures .986, my factory 700 bolt measures .988

Last edited:
You got it, there’s no way I would apply torque with that much slop , just asking for trouble.

My Bugholes wrench measures .9725, my Origin bolt measures .984. It's a great fit in the action. Your wrench looks way undersize and I wouldn't use it.

I got an wrench off of eBay, but haven’t received the Origin action yet. I hope it fits haha. I’ll post up pics when I get the action.

I got an wrench off of eBay, but haven’t received the Origin action yet. I hope it fits haha. I’ll post up pics when I get the action.
Look forward to it.

It’s crazy, you buy a custom action but can’t use it because you can’t buy a wrench for it

That does look awfully narrow and not as much engagement on both lugs sides as I would hope for myself.
I’d send it back myself. I prefer my external nss.
Anything that’s rem700 footprint should have the same diameter cylinder action and the action bolts match. The other stuff is just close and it seemingly isn’t very good here.
I was thinking of getting the NSS external wrench but how do you torque with a shouldered prefit? Also don’t you have to take off the pic rail to use it?

Yeah kinda took a gamble on the eBay one. When the action manufacturers say “700 pattern” I’m not sure if they mean the bolt raceway dimensions as well.

I was thinking of getting the NSS external wrench but how do you torque with a shouldered prefit? Also don’t you have to take off the pic rail to use it?
I put the barrel in the vice and the action wrench around the action and squeeze em together. Yeah, the rail comes off, you have to take it out of the stock, but I use that wrench on damn near everything without integral scope bases.

Reactions: KYAggie
I put the barrel in the vice and the action wrench around the action and squeeze em together. Yeah, the rail comes off, you have to take it out of the stock, but I use that wrench on damn near everything without integral scope bases.

I’ll jump in here too as this is good info all around. I have a Bighorn action, the NSS wrench and a PVA barrel with their barrel nut. I was thinking of putting the action in the NSS action wrench, putting the action wrench in a bench vice, and then head spacing and torquing the barrel nut on with a nut wrench. Is there a better way to do this?

I think as long as you have a means of using a torque wrench either on the barrel side or the action side you are good. I have a bolt down barrel vise so I can’t use a torque wrench on it. So I have to get a rear entry action wrench to torque it. If you are using a barrel nut system and have the wrench for it yeah stick that action in the NSS action wrench and be done with it. I’m using a shouldered barrel no nut so I have to use a clamp style barrel vise.

I’ll jump in here too as this is good info all around. I have a Bighorn action, the NSS wrench and a PVA barrel with their barrel nut. I was thinking of putting the action in the NSS action wrench, putting the action wrench in a bench vice, and then head spacing and torquing the barrel nut on with a nut wrench. Is there a better way to do this?
I dont see why you need to put the action wrench in the vice but I guess it would work.
I always put the barrel in a vice... because its easiest. It holds it there in space and lets you work around it with the other tools and parts.

Well I think he has a barrel nut system that has a wrench for the nut, I’m assuming he doesn’t have a barrel vise. I didn’t see it in the post. So with that barrel nut wrench is where there is usually a spot for a torque wrench. And I believe the NSS action wrench is a exterior wrap around type wrench where there is no spot for a torque wrench. So he can in turn mount the action wrench in the vise to hold the whole assembly and use a torque wrench for his barrel nut. There are many ways to skin a cat so to speak, depends on what tools you have available.

On a side note you an technically hold the barrel with a regular vise, but it’s really not the “proper” way to do it haha.

My problem is I have a shoulder prefit, I could get the NSS wrench but I wouldn’t be able to torque anything. Isn’t torque necessary for proper head spacing?

Some say you loose 1/2 a thousandths when it’s torqued down, but I haven’t measured that myself. I’m not a machinist nor a gunsmith. In all honesty if I didn’t have a torque wrench I’d be comfortable feeling it by hand. I have been wrenching on cars and stuff since I was a kid so I have a good feel for what should be good enough. I don’t see how the barrel will loosen under normal shooting, but I could be wrong. I’d say like how tight you put on a lug nut on a wheel should be plenty. But depends on how long you wrench handle is. Like I said I’m not a gunsmith maybe someone who is can provide input.

Some say you loose 1/2 a thousandths when it’s torqued down, but I haven’t measured that myself. I’m not a machinist nor a gunsmith. In all honesty if I didn’t have a torque wrench I’d be comfortable feeling it by hand. I have been wrenching on cars and stuff since I was a kid so I have a good feel for what should be good enough. I don’t see how the barrel will loosen under normal shooting, but I could be wrong. I’d say like how tight you put on a lug nut on a wheel should be plenty. But depends on how long you wrench handle is. Like I said I’m not a gunsmith maybe someone who is can provide input.
Makes sense. Worst case scenario I could get the external wrench to get the barrel installed. I have a set of go/no-go gauges so I wouldn’t be flying blind

Can you measure the width of the paddle on your ebay wrench? I know the PMA wrench was way too small and here's the measurements from a bugholes which some say is better than the Zermatt

My Bugholes wrench measures .9725, my Origin bolt measures .984. It's a great fit in the action. Your wrench looks way undersize and I wouldn't use it.

My problem is I have a shoulder prefit, I could get the NSS wrench but I wouldn’t be able to torque anything. Isn’t torque necessary for proper head spacing?
One the shoulder hits the action face, more torque isn't gonna move it closer.

I dont see why you need to put the action wrench in the vice but I guess it would work.
I always put the barrel in a vice... because its easiest. It holds it there in space and lets you work around it with the other tools and parts.

I do not have a barrel vice, that’s why I would need to put the NSS wrench in a bench vise. My install is a little different than the Ops with his shouldered pre-fit, although I was thinking about using red-loctite on the barrel nut to barrel threads so I could make it function more like a shouldered pre-fit, I would have to buy a barrel vice to do that. Like others have said, lots of ways to skin this cat. Thanks for the info!

Can you measure the width of the paddle on your ebay wrench? I know the PMA wrench was way too small and here's the measurements from a bugholes which some say is better than the Zermatt
Yeah when I get home I’ll measure it.

Short Action Customs and just change the heads. They say you have to remove the ejector but I don't have to on my Origin.

I do not have a barrel vice, that’s why I would need to put the NSS wrench in a bench vise. My install is a little different than the Ops with his shouldered pre-fit, although I was thinking about using red-loctite on the barrel nut to barrel threads so I could make it function more like a shouldered pre-fit, I would have to buy a barrel vice to do that. Like others have said, lots of ways to skin this cat. Thanks for the info!
You dont need a barrel vice if you have an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench, it just makes it more convenient.
You still dont need to put the action wrench in the vice unless you just want to for some reason.

1. Screw the barrel into the action most of the way

2. insert the go gauge under the extractor and chamber it

3. then screw the barrel all the way down onto the go gauge in the chamber to locate it.

4. spin the nut down against the action tight by hand so that its holding the barrel and action in place and not loosey goosey and spinning freely and unlocating itself.

5. lift the bolt handle so you dont hard jam the go gauge in the action with 70lbs of torque and cant get it out.

6. holding the action wrench (or vice it. whatever) then torque the barrel nut against the action with the barrel nut wrench (without the barrel spinning on you).

7. close the handle and ensure it closes on the go, if it shifted while torqueing redo it (hence the barrel vice being helpful with spinning on you and holding its position in space)

8. scotch tape the go to make a nogo or use a nogo to ensure it closes on go and doesnt on no go

It can all be done in your lap with an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench. Its just harder to keep stuff located.

You also dont even need a torque wrench if you know how to make something tight without giving yourself a hernia. That said you would need a barrel vice to hold that half and the action wrench will hold the other half.

Last edited:
Short Action Customs and just change the heads. They say you have to remove the ejector but I don't have to on my Origin.
There currently out of stock of one head, yep the model 7 for bighorn actions. Plus why are they so much more expensive, are they that nice? I think they’re supposed to be in stock in a few weeks so I’d be willing to hold off if they’re that good.
Being my first build, I feel like I’m getting hundred dollared to death! :)

Reactions: Herb Stoner
So this is what I got off of eBay. Not sure which dimensions were mentioned in the earlier posts, but this seems to be the closest. It fits my R700 perfect. So about 0.997” at the widest point.

Last edited:
I saw that on eBay, do you have your Origin yet? It may be too big. According to UpSideDown, there Origin bolt head measures at .984. I like the idea behind that, using your own extension and just buying the head.

Last edited:
I placed the order for my Origin in February, they told me it might take 5-6 months. So I’m not expecting it anytime soon. I figured I’d take a chance because I can use it on the 700 anyway. And it’s USA made, which is important to me.

Just thought of something. If the internal dimensions of the Origin are similar to the 700 then I think I can just take off some material and make it fit. But I won’t really know till I get the action.