• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zero Compromise Question

Greymount

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2021
Northern Ohio
I currently have an Accuracy International AT-X on order and I am looking for a Zero Compromise scope to put on it. I have decided to get the MPCT-3X reticle. I have not decided between the ZC-527 and the ZC-840. What are the pros and cons between both scopes? The price difference is about $150. Which one should I get. Is it better to have the 40 power over the 27? I currently have a MPA Hybrid Hunter 6.5 Creedmore with a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 Mil XT and I only use the 35 power basically to spot holes in targets.

8-40 if you know you want to run it on the top end.

5-27 if you're going to use the normal 10-20x range.

I just faced the same dilemma. The fact is that I wasn't getting it to put on anything bigger than a 6.5cm, so what am I going to do with higher mag? Also, I never shoot at the 27x anyway, even when doing load development and shooting at 100yds. While it would be nice to have high mag for a cold bore shot every now and again in certain situations, you can't get a bunch of shots at a higher mag before your barrel or suppressor heats up enough to get you anyway so, I went with the 527.

I shot ya over a PM.

The 527 is what most will consider the sweet spot for that rifle but ultimately comes down to your intended use. I know a lot of guys who run the 420 on these AIs too. Seeing you have the 7-35 atacr and only use the 35x to spot holes in paper, I would guess the 40x isn't going to be used too much to justify it? As others have mentioned already the 8-40 is much longer (17.32 inches vs 15.24) also if that is even an issue for you. Elevation travel is less then the 527 (28 vs 35 mils) but not that you will need that much elevation on SA calibers anyway. So kind of a mute point there. 5x will have considerably wider FOV vs the 8x on the bottom end. 840 is just a few ounces heavier despite the over 2 inches in length added. Trade offs really based on if you need the extra magnification. If you want to chat, I can give you some of my shooting experiences with higher mag scopes vs some of the 5-25/27 mag range optics.

Kinda confused why anyone not shooting ELR cares about the elevation. 840 has plenty of elevation for a platform like the AT-X.

The only reasons to go 527 over and 840:

-527 is available now. 840 still not shipping and will probably be a back order for a whole

-You need a shorter scope. Which unless you’re running nvg or something, won’t matter. The Tangent Theta is about the same length and plenty run that optic

-The 840 is technically not proven like the 527 has been for a few years now******

**** Because I know @[email protected] and @gebhardt02 well enough that I can absolutely promise you this 840 will be extremely high quality. There’s no chance Jeff puts an optic to market that is not above and beyond the rest of the industry.

Kinda confused why anyone not shooting ELR cares about the elevation. 840 has plenty of elevation for a platform like the AT-X.

The only reasons to go 527 over and 840:

-527 is available now. 840 still not shipping and will probably be a back order for a whole

-You need a shorter scope. Which unless you’re running nvg or something, won’t matter. The Tangent Theta is about the same length and plenty run that optic

-The 840 is technically not proven like the 527 has been for a few years now******

**** Because I know @[email protected] and @gebhardt02 well enough that I can absolutely promise you this 840 will be extremely high quality. There’s no chance Jeff puts an optic to market that is not above and beyond the rest of the industry.
Agree.

28 mils is plenty for pretty much everything. Even for ELR the guys that are serious are using Charlie Taracs anyways. We have shot over two miles and when you run out of elevation your putting on a Carlie no matter what. Even with certain calibers at 1.5 being right at the 30 mils range you can dial and hold the rest pending the reticle.

Assuming OP knows the availability but yes the 840 no one has in hand yet. Hopefully soon!

Overall the length is not really an issue like you mentioned it only being .5" longer then the tangent. And probably shorter even then some USO offerings. If running a clip on the 420 is a better solution anyways.

No doubt that the ZCO crew is going to produce quality. They have yet to disappoint and the 840 is going to be no different.

I currently have an Accuracy International AT-X on order and I am looking for a Zero Compromise scope to put on it. I have decided to get the MPCT-3X reticle. I have not decided between the ZC-527 and the ZC-840. What are the pros and cons between both scopes? The price difference is about $150. Which one should I get. Is it better to have the 40 power over the 27? I currently have a MPA Hybrid Hunter 6.5 Creedmore with a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 Mil XT and I only use the 35 power basically to spot holes in targets.

The above answers just solidifies most of our conversation :) Having this debate myself very recently for my in progress NRL Hunter(ish) 6.5CM build I went with the ZC527 M3X. Could I have waited another month and grabbed the ZC840 if I thought it was going to be a better fit? Absolutely! Will I snag a ZC840 on a future magnum ELR (2,000 yard plus) build? I will compare it to my ZC527 side by side and decide from there.

My work in progress and weighs 10 pounds 3 ounces with no magazine bipod. (The first pic is closer to the actual color)
IMG-1891.jpg

IMG-1982.JPG

Reactions: MOUNTIC
This isnt helpful if you can’t get your hands on them to look but you should also consider what the reticles are like at the intended power range. For example, if the reticle hash in the -40 disappears when you run it back to a match level…say 15x, or if it’s too heavy at 40x for your preference. For pure match shooting, I’d be really tempted to take a hard look at the 420….but I’m a magnification whore so I’d probably go 527…but for this application, not 840.

Reactions: TheRealMongo
This isnt helpful if you can’t get your hands on them to look but you should also consider what the reticles are like at the intended power range. For example, if the reticle hash in the -40 disappears when you run it back to a match level…say 15x, or if it’s too heavy at 40x for your preference. For pure match shooting, I’d be really tempted to take a hard look at the 420….but I’m a magnification whore so I’d probably go 527…but for this application, not 840.

Unless he's lucky, he might not run into anyone that has a ZC840 and ZC527 to compare for a long time. I mean it will even take us awhile to have a shop one to compare side by side.

Unless he's lucky, he might not run into anyone that has a ZC840 and ZC527 to compare for a long time. I mean it will even take us awhile to have a shop one to compare side by side.
I get it. It was just something Ive been thinking about lately. Sometimes I’d like to dial back my 527 a bit more but I find I have to concentrate too hard on the hash to make small (.2) holds at the low end…say below 12x. Especially if I’m in a hurry. Probably a reflection on me more than the scope.

Reactions: TheRealMongo
I get it. It was just something Ive been thinking about lately. Sometimes I’d like to dial back my 527 a bit more but I find I have to concentrate too hard on the hash to make small (.2) holds at the low end…say below 12x. Especially if I’m in a hurry. Probably a reflection on me more than the scope.

Sounds like you need a ZC420 as well ;)

Reactions: OREGUN
My biggest issue in my decision is my eyesight in my shooting eye. Last year I had detached retina surgery and luckily they got my vision back to 20/25. The problem that I currently have is that I have some distortion on linear things. Crosshairs and lines appear distorted or a little crooked. Dots are not as much as an issue. I have no problem shooting my handguns, red dots or my Eotech on my AR. My groups are just as good as before the issue. When using my Nightforce 7-35 Mil XT, I cannot see anything usable below 15 power, above 15 power, I can see the free floating center dot and the dots on the christmas tree. This is one of my biggest concerns with why I was wondering if the higher 40 power optic would be better than the 27 in my case. This is also the reason I chose the MPCT3X reticle over the MPCT2 which has circles and not lines.

My biggest issue in my decision is my eyesight in my shooting eye. Last year I had detached retina surgery and luckily they got my vision back to 20/25. The problem that I currently have is that I have some distortion on linear things. Crosshairs and lines appear distorted or a little crooked. Dots are not as much as an issue. I have no problem shooting my handguns, red dots or my Eotech on my AR. My groups are just as good as before the issue. When using my Nightforce 7-35 Mil XT, I cannot see anything usable below 15 power, above 15 power, I can see the free floating center dot and the dots on the christmas tree. This is one of my biggest concerns with why I was wondering if the higher 40 power optic would be better than the 27 in my case. This is also the reason I chose the MPCT3X reticle over the MPCT2 which has circles and not lines.

Also consider that the size of the reticle overall is potentially smaller on the ZC840 at a similar power to the ZC527 :)

Reactions: Baron23
I had the same surgery. In time, the waviness/distortion disappeared. My Opthamologist (a friend that I went to HS with,but didn't do the surgery) told me that I would experience it, but that my brain would compensate for it and that in most cases, it disappears entirely.

I'll be damned if he wasn't right...:)

I had the same surgery. In time, the waviness/distortion disappeared. My Opthamologist (a friend that I went to HS with,but didn't do the surgery) told me that I would experience it, but that my brain would compensate for it and that in most cases, it disappears entirely.

I'll be damned if he wasn't right...:)
Thanks for the encouragement.

I went with the 527 3x NLE for my on order AT-X. The extra mag of the 840 didn't have a practical use for my application and 5-27 is a good fit for a short action where most shooting is done from 12x - 20x. I can't comment on OP's personal eyesight considerations. I've been happy with the ZCO so far (riding on other rifles) and don't regret not considering the 840 for this application.

Ordered from CS Tactical of course as well :cool:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CSTactical