• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

'zero' drift over time - your experience

threetrees

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Tirol
to make it short: i haven't been able to get out to a range over winter. after some checks i noted that my zero has moved 3cm up (@ 100m) over the last ... 5 months.

So - how much does your zero move (roughly) over time when you don't do anything?

Is my above stated drift normal? Guess it's due to the wooden stock ...

Re: 'zero' drift over time - your experience

I haven't noticed anything noticeable. But, it could be that your previous zero was set at the end of a range session (your bore was hot/warm) and that when you started shooting (cold bore) after 5 months, your accuracy was off simply because some rifles have a different cold bore zero. Try either shooting a few shots first to warm up the bore, then comparing the zero, or simply just make an adjustment fore cold bore. For my hunting rifle, I sight it in at winter, letting the barrel cool, so I get a reasonable expectation of a cold bore zero.

Re: 'zero' drift over time - your experience

What powder do you run? A round with a tempature sensitive powder can increase in muzzle velocity by up to 150fps. I picked a powder that was not temperature sensitive for that reason.

Good luck,
Merritt