• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zero for my R700

The4thHorseman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Hatboro, PA
www.comcast.net
What is the best zero for this 308? I have access to 100yrd range and I'm using a nikon monarch 4-16 power scope. The scope has mil dots for what its worth? I know a 50yrd zero will find zero again around 250 so is this the best bet? Suggestions....

Re: Zero for my R700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The4thHorseman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best zero for this 308? I have access to 100yrd range and I'm using a nikon monarch 4-16 power scope. The scope has mil dots for what its worth? I know a 50yrd zero will find zero again around 250 so is this the best bet? Suggestions....</div></div>

Well, since you're gonna be shooting at a 100 yard target why not zero for 100? I've got zeros recorded for just about every KD range where I've participated in some sort of shooting competition. My point, unless it's a battle sight zero you're looking for to accommodate unknown distance targets, zero for the KD. If you want, create a BDC function for your scope's elevation adjustment knob. Then you can set for BSZ, as well as have a hasty BDC function.

100 yards is pretty standard for a .308 precision rifle.

If you will be doing most of your shooting at 100 yards, then it's a no-brainer. It also keeps you from having to remember if you need to dial up or down. With a 100 yard zero you will rarely have a need to dial down.

The only reason for a shorter zero would be on a "run and gun" rifle. I use a 50/200 yard BZO on my M4 so I can hold center mass out to 300.

I guess I'm looking to set this up as a battle zero if possible? I'm looking for the best zero to give me the best chance to still hit a human size target at greater distances that 100yrds with little adjustment as possible.

Set it for the 100 yd zero then reset your knobs to zero.Use a ballistic chart for any known ranges further for your come-ups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The4thHorseman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for the best zero to give me the best chance to still hit a human size target at greater distances</div></div> Ok, now you're freakin' me out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The4thHorseman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'm looking to set this up as a battle zero if possible? I'm looking for the best zero to give me the best chance to still hit a human size target at greater distances that 100yrds with little adjustment as possible. </div></div>

Sounds like you just need your point blank range data. Many of the ballistic calculators will allow you to figure that pretty easily.

Take a 175 grain SMK going 2600 and 5000 elevation. If you wanted to be able to keep your round in a 10 inch group you would want to zero at 276 yards. That would allow you to shoot from basically zero yards to 325 yards and be within 10 inches anywhere in between those two distances with a maximum trajectory of 5 inches.

Many hunters sight in their rifles this way, so they don't have to worry about hold over out to realistic distances. It is a nice tool and a good way to do things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The4thHorseman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for the best zero to give me the best chance to still hit a human size target at greater distances</div></div> Ok, now you're freakin' me out! </div></div>

He's in PA.

We're good.

No need to worry. I'm not out to hurt anyone..... Would you feel better if I said my SHTF gun instead? Whatever will makes you feel better. As mentioned in a previous post I'm looking to take the guess work out of adjusting the scope if I had to shoot out further that 100yrds. Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The4thHorseman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need to worry. I'm not out to hurt anyone..... Would you feel better if I said my SHTF gun instead? Whatever will makes you feel better. As mentioned in a previous post I'm looking to take the guess work out of adjusting the scope if I had to shoot out further that 100yrds. Thanks for the info.</div></div>

Wanna take the guess work out, get some BRM training.