• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zero from Bipod or Bag if most shots are from tripod?

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
I take most of my “field shots” from a seated tripod position. I of course confirm my zero with that setup, but I had been zeroing from a front and rear bag. This would result in .2 mil high impacts at distance.

Should I be zeroing from a bipod and bag instead? Would the load of the bipod more closely match leaning into the tripod some?

Unconventional answer here but if it's a rifle in going to primarily shoot from a tripod just zero from the tripod. But another thing is your npa and body position. Are you staying consistent between the positions or are you. For instance are you nice and square behind the rifle while zeroing and then twisted when shooting it off the tripod, vice versa ect. All those things can cause you to see a "zero shift"
Edit: as stated below look into the kraft rifle drill. It will help address this as well

Last edited:
I would pick whichever is the most solid so that you can get a good consistent zero, that way you aren’t second guessing yourself when you transition to tripod. 9/10 times I shoot sith bipod and rear bag but personally I dont see a huge difference from bipod and bag to bag and bag. As long as I am doing my part and using good fundamentals both yeild a reliable zero for me.

Reactions: YotaEer
You could shoot all three and zero center of them. Learn what direction each trends and or work on tightening that spread.

I find that I can get a more solid, repeatable zero from the prone. As long as the shift going to the tripod is consistent, you can just build that offset into your firing solution. You could even zero the gun .2 low from the prone/bags, then confirm off the tripod (this is probably what I would do)

Reactions: YotaEer