• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zero or 20 moa rail needed for 6.5 CM

RMS65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
I'm considering getting a 6.5 CM Tikka CTR. It comes with a zero degree rail. I plan on shooting mostly inside of 500 yards at coyotes that randomly appear at various distances. I won't have time to dial distances. I'm wondering if 20 MOA rail is needed with 6.5 at those ranges. I wouldn't bother to ask if the CTR rails weren't notoriously difficult to remove.

If I have to buy and mount 20 degree rail I might I opt for the cheaper Varmint model as there's things I like about that as well.
Thanks

A 20 MOA rail is only needed if you have an alignment error or are dialing for distance. It is completely irrelevant to holding.

Reactions: RMS65
Thanks all. I found a T3X Varmint in 6.5 cheaper so I went with that. I'll by a 20 MOA rail for that. I figure it can't hurt to have it if I want to target shoot longer distances. I have probably 800 yards to play with of my back deck.