• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zero press versus Redding T-7 turret.

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
Was looking at upgrading from my 1980s rock chuck. The question I have is: Can the Redding T-7, with the Creedmoore upgrade, build bullets as well as the Zero press?

Don't care about faster than the Zero but how does the Redding T-7 compare for repeatability and head spacing and runout and all that?

I'm sure I'll still prime and throw powder by hand.

Reactions: simonp
The Zero offers a couple of options not available with the T-7 but…as far as the ability to load quality ammo, both will do the job well. Is the Zero worth the extra cost, depends whether you need, value and are willing to pay for the additional options.

Personally, I loaded on a T-7 for several years and found the ammunition it produced to be consistent and of excellent quality. In my experience, most presses will produce quality ammunition if one has good reloading methods and uses quality dies

I'm 100% Forster.
The BR guys use an arbor press and hand dies so the dies are self-centering. The Forster combines a standard press and has floating dies so they're also self-centering.

The Zero gives you the same thing in a fixed die press, but only because its billet milled and their machining is so precise. You pay a lot for that. It's an incredibly smooth and beautiful piece of machinery.

Is the Zero the best press? IMO, yes. But it's an extravagant expense. I would put my Forster ammo up against it, and maybe loose, but it wouldn't be but by a hair, and not enough to probably matter unless it was a BR match.

I also feel like the Forster primer seater is incredibly consistent, and I hate screwing with shell holders which I think throws everything off. I also like their dies alot and have never had a problem with them like I have with some others...

I would take a look. Not the new hotness, but they make great ammo.

OST from a T-7 w/Creedmoor user.

Here‘s the NST (New School Tag) method that does not require a post and will let you know when information has been added to the thread. Just hit the ”Watch” button in the upper right corner as in the picture below.

IMG_1637.jpeg

I loaded ammo for years on a RCBS Junior and it always made good ammo. I upgraded about 12 years ago to a T7 and it does everything I want it to without any upgrades other than a better handle from Inline Fabrication. It’s not the limiting factor for me for sure, but I’m not into benchrest shooting either. If you are still throwing powder by hand without at least a electronic lab scale and trickler, then powder weight inconsistency will be a far greater issue that what press you are using.

Lou may use a Zero now a days. However in this video he’s using a little rcbs press to size. Point being I don’t think op will gain anything by moving to a t7 or a zero. Rcbs presses for sizing and arbor presses for seating seam to be a pretty common for Benchrest. Maybe an arbor press for seating would be a better investment than a new press. I use a MEC with the floating shellholder to size and seat using an arbor press myself.
BD3027FF-F48C-4F6B-A33D-4F5720069C7B.jpeg

If accurate ammo is what you’re after, look at what the Benchrest guys use. I’ve seen them use rock chuckers . But never a T7 or a Zero .
Benchresters load at the bench, so portability is important. F-Classeres however use the Zero.

Lou Murdica uses a zero press. Does he need to? No. But will it load ammo up to his standards? Yes.

It's a luxury item. A lot of the premium price is for things that don't necessarily show up on paper....but make the process more comfortable.

Exactly this.

It won't make you any better performing ammo than many other commonly used presses (and much cheaper ones). It's for those that want to indulge in a "luxury" press - one that's very well made and has nice features.

Lou may use a Zero now a days. However in this video he’s using a little rcbs press to size. Point being I don’t think op will gain anything by moving to a t7 or a zero. Rcbs presses for sizing and arbor presses for seating seam to be a pretty common for Benchrest. Maybe an arbor press for seating would be a better investment than a new press. I use a MEC with the floating shellholder to size and seat using an arbor press myself.
View attachment 8315072

Maybe I missed it but did the OP say he was into benchrest or wanted to be? The equipment and time requirements to load benchrest competition ammo may not be what the OP is after.

I know you love benchrest, but a lot of people don’t have a desire to go chasing .1” groups if it means spending many hours and thousands of dollars in equipment when the precision desired is .5” or better in a reasonable amount of time and money for non benchrest competition.

I have (or had) CoAx, Hornady, Dillon, and Zero. While one can make very good ammo on any of these I really like the Zero - its definately a keeper. Its a very finely built tool that is a pleasure to use and it's quality and tolerances are unmatched by the others.

I have zero regrets :)ROFLMAO:) about taking the leap and buying the Zero.

I have (or had) CoAx, Hornady, Dillon, and Zero. While one can make very good ammo on any of these I really like the Zero - its definately a keeper. Its a very finely built tool that is a pleasure to use and it's quality and tolerances are unmatched by the others.

I have zero regrets :)ROFLMAO:) about taking the leap and buying the Zero.
This^^^^

Reactions: memilanuk
Short range ( 100-200) yard Group benchrest shooters load at the bench , most Score benchrest shooters preload at home using any press they choose . Arbor, single stage, turret, etc . .

I’d love to have one too, but for now my trusty old T7 will work. Might have to order the Creedmoor upgrade kit for it.

I do all my high volume stuff on a Dillon XL650 though.

View attachment 8315072

I agree. Just pointing out that it will still get as good as ammo as you can product.

But it's not necessary.

Reactions: Stavey
Maybe I missed it but did the OP say he was into benchrest or wanted to be? The equipment and time requirements to load benchrest competition ammo may not be what the OP is after.

I know you love benchrest, but a lot of people don’t have a desire to go chasing .1” groups if it means spending many hours and thousands of dollars in equipment when the precision desired is .5” or better in a reasonable amount of time and money for non benchrest competition.
No bench resting here. Just looking to make good ammo that will shoot out to 800 yards or so in a 308 or 6.5.

I had a few extra dollars and was looking to upgrade. I don't really need to but want to. The Rock Chucker has always done a great job but I was on the internet and saw some new shiny cool looking presses thought I should have one.

Great reviews on the Zero but not sure I need to spend that much for a luxury item. I would prefer to a have good solid, accurate, and functional workhorse type of press. That what I was looking for some opinions from you guys.

Reactions: Holliday
Redding T7 is a good value for the money, and your productivity will go up quite a bit because you can leave the dies on the tool head and either run processes as a batch like you already do, or handle the brass once and use the turret to introduce the next step until you have a loaded round.

I loaded ammo for years on a RCBS Junior and it always made good ammo. I upgraded about 12 years ago to a T7 and it does everything I want it to without any upgrades other than a better handle from Inline Fabrication. It’s not the limiting factor for me for sure, but I’m not into benchrest shooting either. If you are still throwing powder by hand without at least a electronic lab scale and trickler, then powder weight inconsistency will be a far greater issue that what press you are using.
When I said throwing powder by hand I meant I'm not using a powder dispenser by its self. I'm using a charge master or trickling to final weight.

Reactions: KYAggie
No bench resting here. Just looking to make good ammo that will shoot out to 800 yards or so in a 308 or 6.5.

If that's all you need, go drink the blue kool-aid and get a 550 and go to town. More than capable of loading ammo to bang steel, even some F-class, with the right setup. (y)

And I say that as someone who has (or has had) an M25 (6-hole predecessor to the T7), Big Boss, Co-Ax, LnL AP, 550B and a Zero. Still have the Zero (of course!), the 550 and the Co-Ax... though I'm starting to waver on that last one.

Reactions: John Glidewell
If that's all you need, go drink the blue kool-aid and get a 550 and go to town. More than capable of loading ammo to bang steel, even some F-class, with the right setup. (y)

And I say that as someone who has (or has had) an M25 (6-hole predecessor to the T7), Big Boss, Co-Ax, LnL AP, 550B and a Zero. Still have the Zero (of course!), the 550 and the Co-Ax... though I'm starting to waver on that last one.

I do have a Hornady LNL I use for pistols. I always have that set up for 9mm or 40. Had always thought about running resized, primed and charged cases though it but never have.

It’s tough to beat the versatility of a good turret press and a good progressive press in the reloading room. Between the two there’s just about nothing you can’t accomplish in whatever volume you need.

I currently have a T7, but have a Zero on order. I like the T7 a lot and I feel it makes quality ammo. I dislike the way it catches (or doesn’t) spent primers, and this causes it to need to be cleaned frequently, but other than that it’s been solid. I’m giving the T7 to one of my employees as a gift and treating myself to the Zero.

I'm still somewhat new to handloading - I went from progresive to handloading on a 650 to a T7 with the creedmoor head and inline mount/handle - I love it, using norma brass and berger hybrid bullets it make some nice ~.5 MOA ammo for my man bun gun 🙂

Attachments

• 20240106_111151.jpg
    20240106_111151.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 69
IMG_4224.jpeg
I recently had it with my rock chucker, I upgraded to the zero press when they where on sale on black friday. Its so smooth compared to my rock chucker.

Reactions: MediumSpeed
As mentioned - both will work and produce quality ammo. Brass prep and a ton of other factors will have more impact on the finished product.

Personally - I have a vintage Rock Chucker, still have few Co-Ax's, had a Redding T7 (no upgrades), Dillon 550 and 650 and picked up a Zero when they were introduced. I'd recommend the Zero if you're looking for what is arguably the best as far as tight tolerances.

Can't go wrong with any of them really. Buy either and have fun. To me the fun part is trying new gear.

Was looking at upgrading from my 1980s rock chuck. The question I have is: Can the Redding T-7, with the Creedmoore upgrade, build bullets as well as the Zero press?

Don't care about faster than the Zero but how does the Redding T-7 compare for repeatability and head spacing and runout and all that?

I'm sure I'll still prime and throw powder by hand.
Buy the Zero! You won't regret it! I love mine.

IMG_7956.jpeg

IMG_7973.jpegIMG_7976.jpegIMG_7975.jpeg

I wish to congratulate the small percentage of shooters that may be able shoot the difference in ammo produced on quality presses using the same components, dies, scales and techniques.

Been down a few different rabbit holes. Sold my coax, my Redding is in the corner on standby. These days if I can’t load what I need on the Dillon, something is wrong.

If you want to buy a new press, go for it. As technology and manufacturing improve there will be lots of new toys worth trying.

Reactions: Sig Marine
I wish to congratulate the small percentage of shooters that may be able shoot the difference in ammo produced on quality presses using the same components, dies, scales and techniques.

Been down a few different rabbit holes. Sold my coax, my Redding is in the corner on standby. These days if I can’t load what I need on the Dillon, something is wrong.

If you want to buy a new press, go for it. As technology and manufacturing improve there will be lots of new toys worth trying.
I think I'm going to spurge and go with the Zero. Buy once cry once.

That was splurge with an accent.
Look at the Harrells Precision turret press. I use an old RCBS to decap, Herrells for my standard length cases and a zero for all of my LA cases. Probably still use the Herrels for most of my reloading.

Forster coax so you don’t have to deal with spare toolheads but dies are still always set.
That's the beauty of the Co-Ax. The dies are always set up and switch out in seconds. I would love to have a Zero press but not for that price. And to add to the cost of that press, their turrets add $225 for every 8 dies you have. I have 70+ dies so that would cost me an additional $1800. $1800!! I guess I could just get 1 additional turret and swap out the dies as I need them but that defeats the reason for getting a turret press.

I'll stay with my very accurate Co-Ax and spend the $3000+ on ammo. But that Zero is a neat press.

Last edited:
That's the beauty of the Co-Ax. The dies are always set up and switch out in seconds. I would love to have a Zero press but not for that price. And to add to the cost of that press, their shell plates add $225 for every 8 dies you have. I have 70+ dies so that would cost me an additional $1800. $1800!! I guess I could just get 1 additional shell plate and swap out the dies as I need them but that defeats the reason for getting a turret press.

I'll stay with my very accurate Co-Ax and spend the $3000+ on ammo. But that Zero is a neat press.
You only need one set of shell plates. I have 2 turrets, one for magnums and one for all the others. One set of shell plates. You just swap the shell plate for the case size you are running.

You only need one set of shell plates. I have 2 turrets, one for magnums and one for all the others. One set of shell plates. You just swap the shell plate for the case size you are running.
Yeah, and in that case I would need 8 more turrets. The whole idea is to leave the dies installed.

Last edited:
Look at the Harrells Precision turret press. I use an old RCBS to decap, Herrells for my standard length cases and a zero for all of my LA cases. Probably still use the Herrels for most of my reloading.
Once I setup my new (repurposed) exponentially larger 90º corner bench, I will setup my old RockChucker as a decapping/bullet pulling/priming station. Might as well find a use for it, instead of letting it lay in the corner covered in dust.

Yeah, and in that case I would need 8 more shell plates. The whole idea is to leave the dies installed.
No, you don't. If you mean die rings, OK. But shell plates, you only need one set. And it works with any of the standard die rings too, you don't have to buy the special die rings or shell plates. I ran mine without for some time. I don't think you understand or know how the Zero works, so stop with the misinformation.

Reactions: memilanuk
No, you don't. If you mean die rings, OK. But shell plates, you only need one set. And it works with any of the standard die rings too, you don't have to buy the special die rings or shell plates. I ran mine without for some time. I don't think you understand or know how the Zero works, so stop with the misinformation.
Yeah, I made a mistake by calling turrets, shell plates. Don't know what I was thinking.

That's the beauty of the Co-Ax. The dies are always set up and switch out in seconds. I would love to have a Zero press but not for that price. And to add to the cost of that press, their turrets add $225 for every 8 dies you have. I have 70+ dies so that would cost me an additional $1800. $1800!! I guess I could just get 1 additional turret and swap out the dies as I need them but that defeats the reason for getting a turret press.

You can remove your dies from one turret and put different dies in. No one is forcing you to buy multiple turrets. What an odd argument.
How much are turrets for all the other turret presses on the market?

Redding T7 plates are just over $100. So, it's a valid concern that the 419 plates are over $100 more per turret.

And I'd agree, a large perk of the Zero (or other turrets) is to leave the dies in the turret.

Reactions: RUN8 and marchboom