• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report zero problem

goober

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Auckland , New Zealand
I encountered a problem today re-zeroing my rifle at 100 yards ??

I have been loading 58gr 2213sc adi powder which has been a little hot and expanding the heads and making it hard to put the shell head into the shell holder .I reloaded my ammo last night 2gr less to 56gr and went to an flcass shoot today .Now I had a guess at speeds as I had come from shooting at 2500 feet with 58gr down to seal level using 56gr -well I couldnt get the scope to go low enough to get a 100 yard zero as I am running at least 1 moa over the target --scratching my head as at 58gr no problems and zero's spot on .
I am using a 20 moa rail and a Sightron 10 to 50 power scope -wtf??

Re: zero problem

With today's scopes, do we really need 20 MOA rails???

My 1000 yard rifle is old, I put it together in the early 80s, I use a Weaver T-10 and Weaver 2 piece mounts. I can zero it at 100 and have the elevation movement to get me to 1000 and still have lots of elevation left, or I can shoot 50 Ft Small Bore targets.

And that's an old scope.

Having said that, (which is off topic) If you are bottomed out with the faster round, it seems to me you should have to go the other way to get lower velocity round to shoot the same place.

Does more powder mean more velocity???? Not necessarly, if the heavier charge is not burning right, it may actually be slower.

Have you checked the Velocity of both rounds???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With today's scopes, do we really need 20 MOA rails???

</div></div>

have to disagree , at least 15-30 moa adjustment that is advertised is totally fucking useless, the 20 moa rails make better use of that adjustment range.

coming down in elevation isnt a big deal ( only 2500 ft) but adjusting your charge weights in combination with that... i could see why you had trouble finding a zero

you couldnt get a 100y zero with a 20moa base and the sightron 10-50 ?

i would remount the whole scope setup , maybe you got a piece of junk under there somewhere thats throwing the whole thing off. Maybe that scope is busted...., the sightron 10-50 claims 50 moa adjustment , that should be plenty so i believe its a gun problem.

maybe its the rail...

I hope you figure your problem out
were you using your reticle to holdover ?

I guess I got taken by surprise when this happened as I have always been able to hold a 100 yard zero .I now have a roundabout 230 yard zero .Most of my shooting is upto 1 kilometer and rarely at 100 yards which I only use to confirm accuracy .
The 58gr is shooting flatter hence I can zero -I will try 57 and see how I go or put my S&B 5-25 which has way more travel -I do love the 50 power of the sightron though and think it helps me to win

Kraig your scope is one of the few older scopes with 40 moa up. That is more
than comparable to the new scopes. Most older scopes had 40 total at best.