• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zero Stop for Leupold Mark 4

xcDave15

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
PA
The Leupold Mark 4 is a great scope but the one thing I found it to be lacking the more I shoot at long range is a Zero Stop. Other top of the line scopes have them and I wanted to give my Mark 4 that capability.
So I made a Zero Stop Shim for the elevation turret (M1 Knob)
Out of my box of random pieces I grabbed a rubber hose washer and trimmed the inner and outer diameter to fit around the mechanics of the turret and inside the turret housing. It isn't a true zero stop since I can crank the turret about 4 MOA under zero, but it prevents a full rotation beyond zero, which is what I wanted. See pictures for more detail.

2012-12-30_12-49-15_480_zps92b26019.jpg

2012-12-30_12-50-17_441_zpse45dfad3.jpg

Its a cheap and simple solution that just works, I've since taken the paracord off my scope (I had just got it and I was wrapping everything at the time)

Good suggestion - thanks. I had been considering a similar improvised zero stop for some of my other setups and will give this a try.

I use a rubber"O" ring that I got from the local hardware store. No trimming or cutting. Make sure you dont get one thats too thick. Buy a few of the right size in a few different thicknesses and you will find one that fits.

My first two versions of this were rubber "O" rings but I didn't have any that were thick enough or the right combination of thickness, although they did slip right over the mechanism housing. The hose washer was the perfect thickness and just needed its inner diameter opened up a bit.

There used to be a guy here a few years back that Had some sweet Laser-Cut Nylon or Mylar washer/disks in various thickness .
He used to sell them in package with an assortment of thickness . I bought a few packs & those things were quality & simple Zero-Stop for the Mk4 . Don't know what ever happened to that seller ?

I did something similar by using a .5 inch to .75 inch copper plumbing fitting. The .75 inch end dits around the turret perfectly, but you do need to cut quite a few so you can change the zero distance, or use them on numerous scopes.

Never Had a Problem & I will be firm with my Elev. knob on adjustments & finding my way back to zero with the shim-stack in there between knob/cap & erector . The Mark4 is a pretty tough scope .
I been doing this route for a few years on the zero-stop . going this route for a zero-stop on the mark-4 I Just keep it in mind, Try not to get harsh on physical forcing bottoming-out against the shim-stack when cranking the the Elev. down with knob . (imho) it could be a little hard on the erector system .