• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zero stops for SWFA Super Sniper Scopes

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
11 February 2014 update

I'm putting an update here at the top so it's easy to find.

We currently have stops for the following scopes:

Fixed power mil turret scopes and the 3-15. They all use the same shim set.

Fixed power MOA based turrets.

5-20 power are discontinued due to the manufacturer's concerns about them. We will refund any owners of those sets who wish to return them. See post #218 for details.

Sets are $20 each including shipping to the CONUS. We prefer Pay Pal but will take a check or MO. PP address is [email protected]. PM me for the physical address if sending a check.

Please, please, please note what scope(s) you have and your mailing address in the paypal correspondence or the note accompanying your check. I get a ton of PMs on this and there is no good way for me to correlate your PM with a pay pal payment.

The video remains a little out of date, as do some of the pics below. Skullybones just got back from SHOT and we will be redoing them when he gets caught up. It's simple enough that most everyone has figured it out without help.

End of update.

Another member here (Skullybones) and I designed a zero stop system for the SS fixed power scopes and, we think, the 3-15 FFP. He prototyped them up yesterday and we found the work beautifully. The system consists of 5 shims that are stacked as needed under the turret.

We did a little install video that shows how simply it works.

We're debating how to market these, so there are no details yet on how they will be sold.

SWFA zero stop - YouTube

[video:youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Sz_qP21yNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

The parts. The shims are in thicknesses of 3 revolutions, 2, 1, 1/2 and two of 1/4 revolution. The three rev shim may not be necessary.
E2C6E948-9B09-4CB8-9EBF-2F83309ED4C8_zps10azkkis.jpg

Cap off, shims in place.
70241C1E-582D-4275-8863-18EA7D594B48_zpshwmedl7s.jpg

Cap going back on over the shims.
CB9FB4E8-044D-4B2D-99E3-55E72D72B344_zps63metehi.jpg

As of 12/11/13, we have started selling stop sets for the fixed power scopes with milrad turrets and the 3-15. Cost is $20 shipped CONUS. We are taking Paypal or checks/MO. PP to [email protected]. PM for physical address if sending a check.

Last edited:
Right now I want to be confident that these are ready for production. This is a mil/mil scope and we want to make sure of an MOA scope's travel.
Anyone with an MOA scope that would send the difference between the bottom of the cap and top of the scope when rotated one revolution?

"How about the 5-20x50?"

I need to get one into my possession to take measurements. The turrets are different and travel 10 mils per rev versus 5 mils for the fixed and 3-15. Soon though.

Can you do this for a leupy mk 4??

I have no first hand experience with that scope. As the product evolves, I will try to branch out and hit the needed models.

Billyburl and everyone asking for a price- I am trying to get SWFA to include this as an option for these scopes. Either way I should have an answer later today or early tomorrow. If they are not interested, I will set a price and go from there.

Thanks to everyone for showing so much interest. These are a very clean solution to an SWFA zero stop.
Jared

Thanks for the idea. I going to make some for my Sightron. Will report back as soon as I get it working.

THis would be cool as hell. I was at the SWFA store in Red Oak, Tx a few days back and asked them about Zero Stop and the guy at the front counter told me that THey really had no plans for this as it helps to keep the price down. Hey its a good scope either way and I plan to get me one soon.

Will ya'll send me a set so that we can see how they interact with the turrets internal design?

Chris Farris
420 Century Way, #100
Midlothian, Texas 75154

Can you do this for a leupy mk 4??

There was a forum member here making kits like these for Leupolds some years back. If memory serves there was an issue with damaging, or possibly damaging the adjustment turrets by using shims this way. It may have been only in cases where someone accidentally cranked on the turret after it had already bottomed out, or damage after repeated bottoming out. I don't think Leupold approved of the use of shims this way in their scopes. My memory is a little fuzzy, so I could be wrong. Just wanted to throw out a word of caution. I'm hoping that these play well with the SWFA SS 5-20.

OP here, I have to say I can't see any way to cause damage as long as one uses the same care you typically would cranking down a turret. If you torque the bejezus out of it, I'm sure something will break.

The shim simply bridges the empty air space that is between the top of the turret housing (or whatever you call the part attached to the scope body) and the bottom of the inside of the cap. When the cap hits the shim, it just stops turning down. It's simple in the extreme.

There was a forum member here making kits like these for Leupolds some years back. If memory serves there was an issue with damaging, or possibly damaging the adjustment turrets by using shims this way. It may have been only in cases where someone accidentally cranked on the turret after it had already bottomed out, or damage after repeated bottoming out. I don't think Leupold approved of the use of shims this way in their scopes. My memory is a little fuzzy, so I could be wrong. Just wanted to throw out a word of caution. I'm hoping that these play well with the SWFA SS 5-20.

IIRC, it was nightforce and it was about the same time they came out with their zero stop. Warning us not to use it or risk voiding the warrantee. Of course a 5-10 dollar option to their 200+ upgrade may have played a little in the decision as well. (but thats just me thinking out loud)

TimK & Skullybones, I would be interested in a couple 5-20's and a 3-15 once you get going.

Last edited:
In for two sets, if you make em. One on an 3-9 & one for a 5-20.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Just received a test set of Zero Stops for my SWFA 3-15x42 from Skullybones and TimK. I followed the instruction video at the beginning of this thread, and everything went together super easy and took no time at all. Works like a charm, wish I could say more, but it just works. Good product and it will definitely make it an easier faster scope to use!!!

Last edited: