• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Zeroing a Redding Micrometer Seating Die

aquinas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Il
The die has been dialed in for years to seat .308's at 2.800.

But now that I'm messing with seating depth I'd like to have 2.800 and 0 correspond on the micrometer.

The die now reads about 2 1/2 marks above 0.

So do I turn the micrometer to 0 and then stick the allen wrench in the top and move the seating stem to 2.800?

That seems like a lot of trial and error. Is there an easier way since it's already set to seat bullets at 2.800?

Re: Zeroing a Redding Micrometer Seating Die

You can zero them???????????

I had no idea. I just back it off, seat, measure, dial, and reseat. All of them measure the same after that.

I do this with every batch.

Why zero it. Just dial it to your desired seating depth, and rock on. If you need .020" longer or shorter, just dial it in. Plus, if you switch to a different lot of bullets, your OAL can change and your zero will be off from an exact 2.800". It wouldn't be hard top zero it, just time consuming turning the die in and out a little at a time and setting your lock ring. I'd rather be loading ammo instead of messing with a zero setting that will change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can zero them???????????</div></div>

I hope thats a joke... ;p

For the original poster... yes. Theoretically you could seat a dummy round, turn the screw one full revolution, measure it again, calculate how far one rev moves you and thus shorten up the guess work... but by then you're pretty much there already
wink.gif
I adjust mine back and forth (the micrometer, not the set screw) so much loading different bullets in different barrels that I don't really bother anymore. With the proper tools and a notebook, its faster to just measure and adjust accordingly. I'd trust what I read off my calipers before I would the micrometer head on the die anyday.

One tip - forget about OAL when it comes to seating depth. If you don't already have 'em, get a proper set of tools for measuring seating depth off the bullet ogive. Keep an eye on OAL for making sure rounds fit in the magazine, but I wouldn't pay it much more attention than that.

Monte

I tried something like this when I first got mine. Since I seat a couple of different bullets I ended up just writing down the measurement off of the die for the different bullets. I have also set the die from previously loaded rounds and dummy rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can zero them???????????

I had no idea. I just back it off, seat, measure, dial, and reseat. All of them measure the same after that.

I do this with every batch. </div></div>

I dunno. I'm always looking at streamlining my operations. Fast is good. I usually buy a couple thousand of the same bullet once I decide I like them. For me, I'll load the same bullet over and over. I'm not switching bullets all the time...at least not on this die.

For my service rifle, it's a different story.

I zeroed my seating die micrometer to seat 168 A Maxes @ "2.50" on the Mic for a 2.800" C.O.L. for the .308 Win. I then note the seating depths in a notebook for 7 or 8 other bullets at the C.O.L. I want. I can then quickly dial to those recorded
C.O. L's.

I found an instruction manual on Benchrest.com. Simple to do. Instructions are about 1/3rd way down the page under "Micrometer adjustments and zero"

http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-74897.html?s=e1542bdfb899816b47c7072e3e37937c