• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeroing on indoor range

RAWHDE

“I have seen enough to know, I have seen too much”
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
Have not shot my rifle in a minute due to rising cost/availability of ammo. I am headed back out soon since things are seemingly returning to normal. I am going out Saturday to re-zero my rifle/scope and found an indoor range that has 12 100yd lanes. The obvious advantage is control of elements (especially no wind) but I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding possible disadvantages to doing it indoors?

Thanks in advance. Can’t wait to get back out there soon but here in Texas in August…well, if you know, you know. 🔥

I'm a little jealous. My club has 12 100 yard and 28 50 yard lanes outdoors and 10 50 foot lanes indoors.

The only disadvantage I can think of might be lighting.

Have not shot my rifle in a minute due to rising cost/availability of ammo. I am headed back out soon since things are seemingly returning to normal. I am going out Saturday to re-zero my rifle/scope and found an indoor range that has 12 100yd lanes. The obvious advantage is control of elements (especially no wind) but I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding possible disadvantages to doing it indoors?

Thanks in advance. Can’t wait to get back out there soon but here in Texas in August…well, if you know, you know. 🔥
No disadvantage! For load development, I used to shoot 100 yards at the Elite range (indoor) in Prince William co Virginia. Very nice! The only disadvantage I could see is the knucklehead next to you with a 338 and muzzle break.

Last edited:
If it’s BTO in Conroe it’s very loud if others are shooting and it can be very hot, especially with these temperatures. Still nice to have a 100 yard indoor range though. If you can get a lane by the fan it helps some.

Reactions: RAWHDE
If it’s BTO in Conroe it’s very loud if others are shooting and it can be very hot, especially with these temperatures. Still nice to have a 100 yard indoor range though. If you can get a lane by the fan it helps some.
It was BTO, got there early, nobody else was in there, just me and my suppressor so noise not an issue 😃
It was warm, but not nearly as warm as it was outside, so no complaints.

I use an indoor 100 yard range (they only have 4 lanes, so you have to wait.) That is a disadvantage but it sounds like you have more lanes.

Where I go, the little tables are more suitable for pistols. You do not have room for your bags. That being said, it is not too bad because I often shoot and zero as a hunter, i.e., stock against my shoulder, as if I was in the woods.

However, outdoor ranges have big tables where you can stretch out an truly stabilize the rifle. You may have a small wind current but it is not bad. One outdoor range I have been to has you seated facing north and the wind is out of the south 98 percent of the time. At 100 yards, I have not been able to detect a windage.

I use an indoor 100 yard range (they only have 4 lanes, so you have to wait.) That is a disadvantage but it sounds like you have more lanes.

Where I go, the little tables are more suitable for pistols. You do not have room for your bags. That being said, it is not too bad because I often shoot and zero as a hunter, i.e., stock against my shoulder, as if I was in the woods.

However, outdoor ranges have big tables where you can stretch out an truly stabilize the rifle. You may have a small wind current but it is not bad. One outdoor range I have been to has you seated facing north and the wind is out of the south 98 percent of the time. At 100 yards, I have not been able to detect a windage.
The wind is less the problem but the heat right now in Texas is unbearable. This is heading into next weekend…
IMG_2680.jpeg

You guys are so lucky, here unless you have private land it is a long way to anything with range. Even the clubs around here are a bit odd when it comes to shooting over 200 yards.

Ike is good people. I’m a little spoiled over here in San Antonio with The Range at Austin being about 45 minutes away. 6 indoor 100 yd ranges, and A/C.