• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeroing within adjustment range

Stephen Bachiler

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2023
Ohio
My optic has 60 MOA of adjustment. My rifle has 20 MOA base. I use Burris Signature Rings with adjustable inserts. As the rifle (.223 - Bolt Gun) is currently set up...I have 40 MOA available UP adjustment and 20 MOA available down adjustment. Rifle is zeroed at 50 yards...but obviously there is not much adjustment needed out to 200ish + yards. My question:

Where would I start "getting in trouble" i.e distortions etc (if any) setting the zero at the bottom end of the adjustment range?

For example using the burris inserts to get my zero set with 5MOA or 10 MOA down and 50 or 55 MOA up?

And conversely should I expect issues shooting at distance with UP adjustment maxed out at full travel UP topped out.

Is there a rule of thumb?

Thank you

Depends on the optic. Some look like shit uncentered and some looked the same through whole adjustment range.

60moa of adjustment in an optic would put it right in the shitty optic category unfortunately.

You need to decide how far you want to shoot and setup gun to be optimal within that range.

Depends on the optic. Some look like shit uncentered and some looked the same through whole adjustment range.

60moa of adjustment in an optic would put it right in the shitty optic category unfortunately.

You need to decide how far you want to shoot and setup gun to be optimal within that range.
Yeah...certainly NOT a top of the line optic (Athlon Argos (Gen 1) 6-24 x50. But honestly for the cost...it seems serviceable...and to my untrained eye..rather clear. My shooting is curently 50- 300 yards...so I have PLENTY of adjustment and, to your point, I could easily. Bring the zero to the midpoint of the adjustment range. That said I am going to shoot at a range soon with steel at 300 through 1200 yards...and was going to attempt some 1200 hits...which would be past the current vertical travel of my set up.

Thanks for the reply