• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zev and Grey Ghost handguard compatibility

Flyingbullseye

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm slowly putting together a build for a large frame AR and its come down to either Zev or Grey Ghost. Both are billet and both can come with their respective handguards its nice to look around for other options as well.

I've experienced in the small frame arena that some rails can have fit issues with billet uppers.

Anyone know if either large frame have any compatibility issues with other rail makers? I do like some of the options from Midwest Industries and a few others.

Both the Zev and GGP are KAC/DPMS "High" profile, as opposed to "Low" profile. There are also some less common rail heights that are neither "High" nor "Low". If you happen to find a handguard that is for an ArmaLite AR-10, it won't work, different barrel nut thread pitch. Some handguard have an anti-rotation design and won't work with some billet uppers without modification. The Zev large frame upper has an anti-rotation pin hole on the upper below the Picatinny rail. If you want to use that feature with a handguard other than the Zev Wedge-Lock, you can match drill the handguard and buy a pin.
    Bottom line - look for DPMS "High".

My recommendation, after many decades of chasing the AR-10 rabbit, is to stick with specific billet receiver sets and the same company handguards that are meant to work with them, or go with JP tubes. I like JP tubes because they are the same diameter as the AR-15 tubes. Makes the rifle more manageable and doesn’t look like a mongasso fat albatross to add to the already beefy large frame receivers.

Just within the DPMS LR-308 and AP4 series, there are actually 3 different upper receiver rail heights, and that’s before we talk about the GII series. Rail height has been all over the map between KAC, Eagle Arms/ArmaLite, DPMS, and the after-market.

The more and more I have tracked it, the more I think going with a complete rifle from one of the few competent manufacturers is the way to go if you really think you need or want a short action cartridge (.308 Win, .260 Rem, 6.5CM, 6.5x47 Lapua, 7mm-08, .243 Win, 6mm CM...).

What exactly are you trying to get done with an AR-10?

What exactly are you trying to get done with an AR-10?

Just want to build a precision LFAR.

I should have been more specific about what I was asking. I'm aware of the rail height differences but was looking at the anti rotation tabs causing fit issues as some billet uppers can have different design specs that won't work with different rails.

Just want to build a precision LFAR.

I should have been more specific about what I was asking. I'm aware of the rail height differences but was looking at the anti rotation tabs causing fit issues as some billet uppers can have different design specs that won't work with different rails.

Isn't GGP using the ZEV receiver which is the same as the OG MEGA arms MATEN? I might be wrong and anyone that knows please correct me if so. If that's right then aren't all 3 the same?

I have a similar question as you here because I have the MATEN with a keymod rail and want to change that rail to m-lock and I'm wondering if one of those mentioned fits it the same as the original.

I know Zev used to produce GG uppers and lowers in the past but I believe GG is now manufacturing their own receivers, I could be wrong though. I know both are very tight tolerance makes which is why I'm looking at both. I want a no slop tight fit between the lower and upper and the upper to the barrel.

As for Mega, I had a ar15 mega upper that didn't work with a Geisselle rail which is where I'm coming from now looking at the LFAR build.

As far as the MI handguards, there shouldn't be an issue. Their anti-rotation device sits over the gas tube on the barrel nut. As for other handguards, probably best to list some of your narrowed down choices to see if anyone has had issues with billets.

Last edited: