• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kytrapper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
Has anyone had any experience with the Swarovski ZFM ?
To validate the question, I have aquired one. And was just wondering if it is worth holding on to and getting used to the brackets or if I need to work on sending it to a new home...
(be looking forward to the opinion of the billions of rounds and centuries of experience sitting around out there)

Thanks in advance.....

Re: ZFM

It's a solid piece of 1980s military grade glass, 6x42, very sturdy, made to resist all challenges from man and nature, with good quality glass in it. If a 6x42 fits your needs, and if you are comfortable with the physical choices of the scope, I think it will do what you want it to do. That said, while it is an excellent scope for the 80s, it still is 80s technology and does not benefit from modern coatings.

As a comparison, I would guess it to be slightly inferior in glass to the SS 6x42, but not by much (due to coatings), and more robust, with sligthly less refinement in the mechanicals. In terms of pure optics it is the equal of mid grade glass of today, and it will be, in general, superior to most modern scopes in robustness. It would consider it superior to all lower end scopes of today.

If the scope has problems, there is a good chance that Swarovski USA would fix them for free or for a modest cost. If it was mine, I would keep it if in good shape.

m02c:) Good luck, and congrats on finding an excellent older scope.

I had one a few years back, they were actually made by Kahles for a Swarovski military contract. Basicly it's a Kahles ZF-84 with the Swarovski name on it.

Thanx for the input - I will check and see if Swarovski will do a rebuild on it- 80's sure it could use new seals - couple ring marks- whether i keep it or send it down the road will depend on if get used to all the brackets... If I send it down the road what are they worth these days?

If it's in really good shape and you can find a military collector for it, you might get a few hundred dollars for it, as they are not easy to find. But, to the ordinary user, it is worth much less. You might want to ask on a black gun site? In this case, really it totally depends upon who you can find to buy it.

Btw - there is also a 10x version, rarer.

Thanks for the info will have to prowl aroound a lil