• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zombie outbreak - serious discussion

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
Alright, so I’m hoping this doesn’t degrade into paranoid end-of-the-world status. My wife and I were talking at lunch yesterday about what could happen during a real-life “zombie” attack. I say “zombie,” and I will say that it’s not in the context of someone who’s been re-animated into a brain-devouring undead monster. If you’ve seen Zombieland (if you haven’t, you should. It’s awesome), the zombies in that movie aren’t dead people who have been brought back to life. They explain in the deleted scenes that Mad Cow Disease became Mad Human Disease became Mad Zombie Disease. With today’s anti-biotic resistant superbugs and viruses that morph faster than we can keep up with, I don’t think it’s impossible to think (maybe sooner than we think) that some form of some virus could infect people on a wide scale and make them go crazy and start attacking fellow humans with their bare hands and teeth, spreading the virus even wider.

Now that that introduction is done, we were discussing one point: zombie rights. If this ever were to happen, I don’t think local law enforcement is equipped to deal with crazed zombies, and I don’t know if the military would use a “just bomb the hell out of the zombie-infested areas and then deal with stragglers under a martial-law setting” type solution. Do you think it’s plausible that there would be people arguing that the zombies are still people and shouldn’t be killed indiscriminately? Do you think that a zombie apocalypse type setting would justify killing the zombies that you felt endangered your safety?

I’m posting this in all seriousness, because I don’t know if the government has ever really considered something like this to be a possibility. Just think about the circumstances for a second, and tell me if you don’t think that it’s somehow possible to end up in that situation. In the event that it does happen, I think they probably would declare Martial Law, and I don’t know that I would feel comfortable turning over whatever arms I may have to the government because they’re “going to keep me safe.”

What do you think would happen to normal citizens? What do you think the policy would be on sight-killing zombies? Would there be a zombie reparation fund set up for the people who became infected and had to be disposed of? I’m just thinking out loud, and I’m genuinely curious to see what your guys’ (serious) opinions are. I know there will be jokes, I’m just as ready to make zombie jokes as the next guy. But think for a few minutes on what <span style="font-style: italic">could</span> happen in a situation like that. What would the world and the law look like under those circumstances?

Re: Zombie outbreak - serious discussion

I think you need to step away from the bong and tbd leave the comic book section

If the infected were homocidally violent and had no control over their actions then it comes down to simple self-defense. Probably the extent of martial law would be 'containment'. They'd want people uninfected to stay in their homes, barricaded, whilst the infected were either rounded up and contained whilst a cure was discovered/administered or, if the infected were in numbers too large for capture (i.e. there were hundreds of thousands of them running around in mobs) then assuming there aren't any gas attack options which would put them to sleep, I don't see any alternative to shoot on sight.

Any shoot on sight policy would be extended to anyone outside and not in a military uniform I'd expect. I doubt their priority would be going house to house, dodging homicidal loons, to get our guns (I"m assuming no-one is THAT stupid).

Heh, I own neither a bong nor a comic book. I do have an affinity for Ruffles Sour Cream & Cheddar potato chips though, if that counts for anything.

And EventHorizon, I am talking about a very bad situation getting out of control very quickly. How many people could be infected by a fast-spreading and fast-acting bug if it was foodborne and spread by contact? It could get ugly real fast.

A side note: I think it's funny that people tend to assume they will survive a zombie infestation and as such stock up on everything possible.

I think your only hope is to save yourself. Government wouldn't exist to bomb or enforce martial law, remember they are sick and have sick families of their own to worry about. Your only option would be to shoot your way out of town with any survivors you care about, get to an isolated area and fort up. Kill anything approaching.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you need to step away from the bong and tbd leave the comic book section </div></div>
Hes been hitting the bong a little too much... hahaha

you know those halloween snakes? you light them and they just take off and grow? what if some scientists somewhere is playing with stuff and when he mixes two pathogens, splices in a monkey DNA sequence into a dog or whatever. what if the next time it takes off like a mentos in a 2 liter? thats what worries me, but just not enought to freak out about it. at the end, ill save one bullet. until then, im bucking for zombie killer of the year, lol.

really spazz, if your thinking about this alot, maybe you should get a bong. they go great with sour cream chips

How can you have the phrases "Serious Discussion" and Zombie Outbreak" in teh same fragmented sentence?

Axeman, I like the way you think.

Rolex, it was just something that I was thinking about, and my wife is great enough to discuss things like this with me without thinking I'm any more of a tard than I usually am. At least she doesn't say it out loud if she's thinking it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rolex, it was just something that I was thinking about, and my wife is great enough to discuss things like this with me without thinking I'm any more of a tard than I usually am. At least she doesn't say it out loud if she's thinking it.

</div></div>

Take it all with a grain of salt. I think about crazy stuff all the time too and talk to my wife about it. ther's some stuff she goes along with and I'm sure is thinking WTF in her mind. There's other stuff that she just shoots me down real quick... like banging one of her 9 sisters. maybe if I change it up a bit like, " hey babe... what if one of your sisters was a zombie... which one could i bang then?" shed humor me and go along with it for a minute.

If you haven't read World War Z by Max Brooks, i would recommend it. I believe it covers some of your concerns. The Zombie Survival guide by the same author is also essential reading for such an apocalypse. I'm guessing the zombie reparation fund would be for the uninfected dependants of actual zombies.

Ok, just a couple thoughts.
What if you became one?
What if your friends and family knew of your secret plan to deal with the problem and used it on you?

Buffalo wing flavored chips are pretty good too.

Fist of all, I take offense at the term 'Zombie': it's elitist, predjudicial, and it stigmatizes otherwise healthy people who suffer from disabilities sufficient to make them decompensate. They would prefer to be called 'undead Americans'.
wink.gif

Second, what you are asking about was covered in the movie <span style="text-decoration: underline">28 Days</span> and its sequel <span style="text-decoration: underline">28 Days Later</span>. If you haven't seen either of them, the first one was quite good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love these conversations, most people aren't prepared for natural disasters, let alone a Zombie.
whistle.gif
</div></div>Good point: as it is, our organized structures can barely handle the results of predictable natural events.

TCA, if I became one of the infected, I'd rather someone off me before I can hurt anyone I care about. That is, if I don't save them the trouble after I realize I'm infected.

Graham, I'll use the term "zombie" if I feel like it
wink.gif
. I actually never got around to seeing either of those movies, but I may at least check out the first one now.

Witch Doctor/Graham, I agree that most people (probably myself included) aren't ready for a true natural disaster, let alone a zombie (or insert non-undead-offensive term here) disaster. I think it's interesting food for thought though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think it's interesting food for thought though! </div></div>

Well the same precautions hold over for countless other situations such as extreme civil unrest, a coup, or invasion by another country. All of the aforementioned would necessitate the same set of preparedness and responses. So it is a valid conversation to have.

I'm not telling you potential zombie MoFos a damn thing! What if you retain some knowledge? For all you know, a zombie could just behave like a crack addict with no compassion and a need for flesh. Still intelligent, just jonesin. Just stay the hell away from my place if you turn.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-kCC8WUKYk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-kCC8WUKYk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

it ain't no joking matter, not only Zombies, but Alien produced Undead Americans which would really suck.

Bob Hope's take on Zombies

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RWpU8sX10_4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RWpU8sX10_4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Why can't we all just get a bong?

Have you seen "The Crazies?"

<span style="font-weight: bold">***SPOILER ALERT******SPOILER ALERT******SPOILER ALERT***</span>

A biohazard that is contained.

There is a book out there somewhere called "the Second After" or something like that which argues that it is not the epidemic itself but the resulting chaos that takes place once it passes. More people looking for free stuff, in other words.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">***SPOILER ALERT******SPOILER ALERT******SPOILER ALERT***</span>

A biohazard that is contained. </div></div>

It was contained eh.... You obviously didn't stay through the credits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-kCC8WUKYk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-kCC8WUKYk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

it ain't no joking matter, not only Zombies, but Alien produced Undead Americans which would really suck. </div></div>

That's freaky. I'm heading for the basement.

Spazz,

You aren't suggesting unconstitutional Zombie Profiling are you? They come here to work and provide for their families. Besides where would we go for authentic Zombie food like Brainchiladas or Chinlupas?

And don't forget the drinking based holidays like cinco decay-o.

They do jobs living people refuse to do.

Hater

when i report back to y'all that my dead (no-shit, she OD'ed) ex-wife is pounding her nub on my door: you have my permission to execute pre-zombie and post-zombie action plans. Whichever you employ should include a plethora of bear traps. I have extra bear traps if needed since school is out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-kCC8WUKYk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-kCC8WUKYk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

it ain't no joking matter, not only Zombies, but Alien produced Undead Americans which would really suck. </div></div>

as long as they light them up like that, it should be easy shooting

This thread is the KT Boundary of the Hide: the point at which intelligent conversation suffered mass extinction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ex-wife </div></div>

1) You got divorced from that chick that wore the 10 gallon hat on your wedding day?

2) Do Zombies have more rights in Arizona that Illegals?

3) You think Zombie poon tang is better or worse than live?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SemperFiDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is the KT Boundary of the Hide: the point at which intelligent conversation suffered mass extinction. </div></div>

I thought "Brainchiladas" was brilliant! Further, I don't recall ever hearing anyone else ever say it. Perhaps not intelligent conversation but clever perhaps?

I have no formal training...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ex-wife </div></div>

1) You got divorced from that chick that wore the 10 gallon hat on your wedding day?

2) Do Zombies have more rights in Arizona that Illegals?

3) You think Zombie poon tang is better or worse than live?

</div></div>

no that is my second

ever play that game for the computer came out a few years ago, its called "area51" not the arcade one where you hold the guns. this one is about hazmat delta... vary intresting game.... hmm

any thing can be made in a lab.... should you freak no but what do i know iam nutty i guess

M4 with 10 or more loaded Beta C mags, nuff said.

Oh and dont forget the tinfoil hat!

TinfoilHat.jpg