• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Finally picked my barreled actions up from the smith.

16" Jury barrel bartlein #5 contour plain jane .308win hung off a tikka.
Viper Pst 4-16
Krg bravo for ctr mags.
Insite arms heathen gen 2 brake.
Area 419 arca, with the atlas.

1000018662.jpg

Edit:
BLUF: In a 6mm Creedmoor, would chopping barrel from 18” to 14.5” cause a 200+ fps MV loss or cause any other issues I’ve not thought about based on the description below?

Trying to build a do-it-all night hunting gun.

Current Specs:
Tikka action + bits and pieces
MDT XRS
18” 6mm Creedmoor Keystone Accuracy barrel I got off eBay for a smoking deal
Diligent Defense LTI

Currently shoots factory hornady 105 grain BTHP’s at ~2850 and 87 grain VMAX’s at ~2950

I want to go as short as practicable to hunt pigs and coyotes/bobcats so will stick between those 2 projectiles. 90% of the time I can move within 200 yards of pigs (usually a lot closer) and can call coyotes within the same 200 yard range so I’m not terribly concerned with screaming velocities.

Thinking of having my gunsmith chop the barrel to 14.5” and would like to achieve (at a minimum) 2650 fps with 105’s and 2750 fps with the VMAX’s while cutting down on OAL of the rifle. Basically putting the barrel approximately 1” past the end of the handguard.

Have scoured the internet to see if anyone has gone that short with a 6CM and have only found results for a 6.5CM. Has anyone gone shorter than 16” on a 6CM and what were your results?

Thanks, cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3782.jpeg
    IMG_3782.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: JonKleman
Is the 3.5” really going to make a difference in your maneuverability????? To me it isn’t worth ruining a muzzle device by pinning and welding it, the cost of cutting and threading the barrel again, or if you don’t pin and weld the expense of registering the receiver on a form 1…….

If I wanted shorter I would buy a shorter suppressor…..

Just my thoughts.

Is the 3.5” really going to make a difference in your maneuverability????? To me it isn’t worth ruining a muzzle device by pinning and welding it, the cost of cutting and threading the barrel again, or if you don’t pin and weld the expense of registering the receiver on a form 1…….

If I wanted shorter I would buy a shorter suppressor…..

Just my thoughts.
I have shorter suppressors so that is something that has been played with. Even my 6” STi feels long compared to what I’m envisioning. Also, costs associated with P/W or Form 1 vs. cost and wait time associated with new suppressor and a form 4 seems like a pretty simple mathematical decision to make…

All of my cans use the plan b/Rearden suppressor adapters so not at all concerned with ruining a muzzle device via P/W.

In my mind 3.5” is pretty significant, especially when compared to the 5.56/.223 movement towards 13.7”-14.5” from 16” barrels. It’s not drastic but it’s noticeable for sure.

This is more something to tinker with that I think would be cool, I just have not ever seen it done for a 6CM and if those MV’s are even theoretically achievable then I’ll give it a shot

Reactions: Baron85
My logic was more the suppressor will be useful on multiple hosts. Yes your paying the same $200 but just seems to get close to the same length, and should have higher velocity.

Just my opinion.

I have shorter suppressors so that is something that has been played with. Even my 6” STi feels long compared to what I’m envisioning. Also, costs associated with P/W or Form 1 vs. cost and wait time associated with new suppressor and a form 4 seems like a pretty simple mathematical decision to make…

All of my cans use the plan b/Rearden suppressor adapters so not at all concerned with ruining a muzzle device via P/W.

In my mind 3.5” is pretty significant, especially when compared to the 5.56/.223 movement towards 13.7”-14.5” from 16” barrels. It’s not drastic but it’s noticeable for sure.

This is more something to tinker with that I think would be cool, I just have not ever seen it done for a 6CM and if those MV’s are even theoretically achievable then I’ll give it a shot
I'm putting together at 16" 6cm for this purpose. Going to use an resonator k or an U7. Not planning on any shorter because I've got enough SBR's. I've chased the rabbit of finding the perfect hog gun and haven't found it but I've circled my way back to using a 3030 for the day cause it's cool and a 16" SFAR at night. I just painted my 556 so I want to blast some with that, so I'll bring that out next hunt. I'm liking the extra power of the 308 for some of the shitty shots lately. The hogs have gotten smarter and it's been tougher than usual and there is no replacement for displacement, so I've put up with the extra length of the 308w/ suppressor. and honestly I haven't noticed it. I haven't missed a hog because I couldn't pull it out quick it enough from the truck.

But shoot, try it and see what happens. Could be cool

I'm putting together at 16" 6cm for this purpose. Going to use an resonator k or an U7. Not planning on any shorter because I've got enough SBR's. I've chased the rabbit of finding the perfect hog gun and haven't found it but I've circled my way back to using a 3030 for the day cause it's cool and a 16" SFAR at night. I just painted my 556 so I want to blast some with that, so I'll bring that out next hunt. I'm liking the extra power of the 308 for some of the shitty shots lately. The hogs have gotten smarter and it's been tougher than usual and there is no replacement for displacement, so I've put up with the extra length of the 308w/ suppressor. and honestly I haven't noticed it. I haven't missed a hog because I couldn't pull it out quick it enough from the truck.

But shoot, try it and see what happens. Could be cool
I left a 6.5 CM gas gun and 300 HAM’R and went back to bolt guns for my night rigs. Personally, I make way better shots when I don’t have 19 or 29 more rounds and a quick trigger finger as a safety net. And to be honest, 10 rounds out of a bolt gun in a couple minutes is way more fun than 20 or 30 out of an AR. But that’s just me…

I have been very impressed with the 105 hornady BTHP’s on pigs and the 87 vmax anchors coyotes and bobcats. I have also used both projectiles on both applications and done fine but I head shoot every pig I can in terms of vmax performance

Reactions: st1650
I left a 6.5 CM gas gun and 300 HAM’R and went back to bolt guns for my night rigs. Personally, I make way better shots when I don’t have 19 or 29 more rounds and a quick trigger finger as a safety net. And to be honest, 10 rounds out of a bolt gun in a couple minutes is way more fun than 20 or 30 out of an AR. But that’s just me…

I have been very impressed with the 105 hornady BTHP’s on pigs and the 87 vmax anchors coyotes and bobcats. I have also used both projectiles on both applications and done fine but I head shoot every pig I can in terms of vmax performance
I need to try the bolt gun at night. The 6cm, I'm going to throw in a chassis and do it. I've used the precision hunter stuff and been happy but will try the 105 BTHP.

I think with the 308, I'm slowing down and I'm getting better shots on the hogs and giving too much credit to the round. I tend to do the same and spray a bit with an AR because I have the extra ammo. I got into a group with the 30-30 a week or two ago in some tight brush and it was awesome racking that thing and I made some great shots.