• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

30-30 Ammo Question

AquaRhombus77

AquaRhombus77
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Oklahoma
Hey guys, so I got a lot of great responses from my post about my 1916 Winchester 30 WCF. So I’m planning on leaving it alone and preserving it. However, one of the responses gave me a question to ask you guys. I ordered new hunting ammo to run through my rifle. I ordered a box of Hornady LeveRevolution 160gr. Federal Power-Shok 30-30 150gr, Barnes TSX 30-30 150gr, and Fusion 30-30 150gr. My question is are any of these rounds pushing it to hot for my rifle?

I had wondered the same regarding and old Winchester 30wcf I have.
Actually found a box of ammo I had forgotten I had.
Federal Hi-Shok 150gr Flat point with a price tag of $3.79 on it, even has a hand signature on the back of whoever did the QC of packaging. 😁
20240515_143213.jpg

Hey guys, so I got a lot of great responses from my post about my 1916 Winchester 30 WCF. So I’m planning on leaving it alone and preserving it. However, one of the responses gave me a question to ask you guys. I ordered new hunting ammo to run through my rifle. I ordered a box of Hornady LeveRevolution 160gr. Federal Power-Shok 30-30 150gr, Barnes TSX 30-30 150gr, and Fusion 30-30 150gr. My question is are any of these rounds pushing it to hot for my rifle?
Your rifle will be fine.

The 20th century guns are all fine with modern ammo.

No worries.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: AquaRhombus77
No - modern ammo is manufactured to SAAMI specs to allow it to be safely used in all common rifles chambered for that cartridge that are not otherwise unsafe to shoot, regardless of age.

While the .30-30 is no problem...

There are some .45/70's that folks need to be careful with. There are modern-fire rounds. But some of the very old guns, including some trapdoors, that should not be fired with modern ammo.

.30-30 ammo is all GTG.

But watch some of the .45-70 that was made for modern guns but can be problematic in early guns. Specifically Trapdoors. And some early Sharps.

Cheers!

Sirhr