• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

Yeahi know... I'll ride around the neighborhood. Road bike on 70mph roads is a death wish around here. Tons of gravel north of me that I'll be back to hitting soon.
I want to get a gravel bike. I don't know how much gravel there is local, but there are quite a few "rails to trails" paths in MD and PA from what I understand...and a lot of those are gravel. Sure, I could use my MTB, but I don't want to pedal a full squishy on those, and my roadie is a "race" bike...it will only fit 32~34mm tires?

My gravel bike is a hard tail trail bike. I didn't want to buy a full gravel bike as I have always hated the geometry of road bikes and there are only a few gravel bikes that are slacked out some and forgiving to ride. I'm not a serious gravel rider so the hard tail trail bike with gravel tires and a taller gear set does the job.

My gravel bike is a hard tail trail bike. I didn't want to buy a full gravel bike as I have always hated the geometry of road bikes and there are only a few gravel bikes that are slacked out some and forgiving to ride. I'm not a serious gravel rider so the hard tail trail bike with gravel tires and a taller gear set does the job.

I rode the evil right when they came out and really liked it. There was one other one that I can't remember the name of, and either one of them would have been great, I just couldn't make myself spend that much on it. The pedal head with gravel tires on it will have to do for now. I have thought about getting some gravel bars for it, one of the last gravel rides some of the other guys were getting worn out in the washed out parts in the road and the 120mm fork on mine was soaking it all up. The last time I looked at them I thought they were over $8k. Looks like they are $3500-7500 now, I may pick one up once I have a good idea where the house is going to wind up.

Reactions: jbell
1716335488426.png

That's what a road bike is for. ;) My MTB only buddies give me crap about wearing spandex and skinny tires, but they are always sucking wind when we're climbing hills.

Of course I'll be sucking wind, when I can finally get back on a bike...crashing is over rated; zero stars; do not recommend.
Living where I do, I don't want to road bike and die. It's gravel roads around me and if the dogs don't get you, everyone has LGD around here, the pick up trucks will. The worst is all the new people in there expensive SUVs always on their phones and not paying attention, mostly women. You know these new SUVs have hands free and TX has laws, but that doesn't apply to them. Oh and before I forget there's a lot of drinking and driving on the back roads, so much so when you buy a large beer at the gas station in town they give it to you a brown paper bag the same size as the beer. Some people don't even wait to get out of the parking lot before they indulge.

I won't even run out there.

Living where I do, I don't want to road bike and die. It's gravel roads around me and if the dogs don't get you, everyone has LGD around here, the pick up trucks will. The worst is all the new people in there expensive SUVs always on their phones and not paying attention, mostly women. You know these new SUVs have hands free and TX has laws, but that doesn't apply to them. Oh and before I forget there's a lot of drinking and driving on the back roads, so much so when you buy a large beer at the gas station in town they give it to you a brown paper bag the same size as the beer. Some people don't even wait to get out of the parking lot before they indulge.

I won't even run out there.
Sounds a lot like here. I truly loved road biking. But there's no way in hell I'm getting on the road now.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I hope the gravel roads are bike friendly where I'm moving. I am looking forward to some long days out on them exploring my new home.

I took the MTB out last weekend and did the Battenkill Grand Fondo. I didn't push too much, just a decent pace. I road it with a good friend who hasn't been able to train much this year due to work. So I told him I would ride the MTB and he could try and hang on his road bike.

I ran my Epic Evo with 2.35 Fast Track tires at 18 & 20 psi and the suspension set up normally. I did lock out the shock and fork occasionally on the steep climbs but other than that I wanted to see what it could do.

I definitely could have cut quite a bit of time if I was giving it, but I executed my nutrition plan (110-120 grams of carbs per hour) and felt great the whole ride. Here's the specs of the ride:

1000006283.png

And here is the bike, I got serval comments riding it at a road Grand Fondo...
1000006275.jpg

I hope the gravel roads are bike friendly where I'm moving. I am looking forward to some long days out on them exploring my new home.

I took the MTB out last weekend and did the Battenkill Grand Fondo. I didn't push too much, just a decent pace. I road it with a good friend who hasn't been able to train much this year due to work. So I told him I would ride the MTB and he could try and hang on his road bike.

I ran my Epic Evo with 2.35 Fast Track tires at 18 & 20 psi and the suspension set up normally. I did lock out the shock and fork occasionally on the steep climbs but other than that I wanted to see what it could do.

I definitely could have cut quite a bit of time if I was giving it, but I executed my nutrition plan (110-120 grams of carbs per hour) and felt great the whole ride. Here's the specs of the ride:

View attachment 8423822

View attachment 8423824
Damn that is a reminder of how out of shape I am. Lol. I rode my enduro bike on a 30 mile gravel ride last year, it was pretty entertaining, I was about 90% of the group pace on it.

View attachment 8423822

View attachment 8423824
Holy seatpost batman!!

I would have died, that's a LOT of climbing.

I can't even imagine doing 76 miles. Good job Jbell!

I'm a tuckered old guy right now. Just got back from 12 miles of single track in pretty rough terrain for my ability level, with steep drops off in various places right off the trail, tight corners on the switchbacks, and lots a big rocks. Pretty much 6800ft to 8800ft uphill then downhill. It took me 3 hours even.
Nice to have the EMTB for going up but downhill was way more fun.
20240523_113649.jpg
20240523_113653.jpg
20240523_113657.jpg
20240523_113700.jpg

Thank you, but that was actually a fairly short easy ride for me...
Outstanding!! 76 miles is beyond me on a MTB….maybe on my old Colnago road bike. You down play it, but holy cow that’s a huge ride in the gravel. The elevation gain is way beyond my ability, 2500 feet is about my max.
Nice ride jbell

Reactions: HPIguy and jbell
I am pretty excited, I ordered a new Specialized Epic World Cup pro level build today. I am planning on changing out a few parts to cut the weight a bit. It should be a killer long distance rig. My goal this year is to have only 1 bike for everything: endurance mountain bike races, gravel races, training, fun rides ripping single track, and some of the ultra endurance events that I am hoping to get into soon (Vapor Trail 125, Arkansas Gravel Doom & Despair, then possibly the High Country Race, Colorado Trail Race).

I know this bike will not be as comfortable as my Epic Evo, but I expect it to be more efficient putting power down. I think I can handle the rougher ride because I spent so much time on a hard tail single speed racing 12-24 hour / 100 mile plus events, even set up as stiff as possible it will be much more comfortable than a hardtail.

Looking forward to new bike day soon…

I am pretty excited, I ordered a new Specialized Epic World Cup pro level build today. I am planning on changing out a few parts to cut the weight a bit. It should be a killer long distance rig. My goal this year is to have only 1 bike for everything: endurance mountain bike races, gravel races, training, fun rides ripping single track, and some of the ultra endurance events that I am hoping to get into soon (Vapor Trail 125, Arkansas Gravel Doom & Despair, then possibly the High Country Race, Colorado Trail Race).

I know this bike will not be as comfortable as my Epic Evo, but I expect it to be more efficient putting power down. I think I can handle the rougher ride because I spent so much time on a hard tail single speed racing 12-24 hour / 100 mile plus events, even set up as stiff as possible it will be much more comfortable than a hardtail.

Looking forward to new bike day soon…
Woo hoo!! New bike day will be upon you soon! Post some photos when it arrives.
That bike looks incredible, what will be the target weight? S4 size?
I’ve demoed a bunch of bikes but never a specialized. We see them everywhere here, for good reason.
Outerbike Moab in October I’m looking forward to riding the Stumpjumper in a S6 size. On paper it looks perfect. I really think the 130mm rear 140 fork will be good….lighter weight as well from my Yeti.
I just looked up the Colorado trail race. 550 ish miles, 70,000 ft. Vertical gain is simply jaw dropping. Incredible goal for sure.

My bad looks, like the Epic World Cup Pro is available in small, medium, large and XL.
Wonder why they move to “S” sizing for the more trail oriented bikes?

Woo hoo!! New bike day will be upon you soon! Post some photos when it arrives.
That bike looks incredible, what will be the target weight? S4 size?
I’ve demoed a bunch of bikes but never a specialized. We see them everywhere here, for good reason.
Outerbike Moab in October I’m looking forward to riding the Stumpjumper in a S6 size. On paper it looks perfect. I really think the 130mm rear 140 fork will be good….lighter weight as well from my Yeti.
I just looked up the Colorado trail race. 550 ish miles, 70,000 ft. Vertical gain is simply jaw dropping. Incredible goal for sure.
I hesitate to try and predetermine a weight, the frame and shock weighs more than my current Epic Evo by a few grams & that brain damper adds 200g to the fork. Plus transmission is quite a bit heavier than AXS or mechanical XO1 Eagle. That said the bike is supposed to be sub 23 pounds without pedals, my Epic Evo is 23.6 with XTR pedals, tools in the SWAT box, 2 cages, Garmin and mount (everything less bottles). I can cut about 200 grams with my wheels, another 100 or so with my bar / stem / post / saddle. If I can find a 104 BCD chainring for my Quarq XX1 power meter cranks that works with the 55 mm chain line of transmission I can cut about 200 more grams out of the bike and keep the XO transmission. If not luckily there is a port in the headset (yes this has headset cable routing) & chain stay for a shifter housing, so I can go full XO1 Eagle mechanical which will cut another 150 grams in addition to the crankset. So on paper I possibly could be in the 21.5-21.6 pound range ready to ride. I may go full weight weeny and replace the brain damper in the fork with a Charger Race Day 2 damper and cut another 200ish grams out of the bike.

I know it’s crazy to go from a similar weight but much more capable bike in my Epic Evo to this World Cup, but it’s not really about the weight for me with this build it’s more about better power transfer and hopefully a faster climbing bike. I love to climb, and really love to climb fast! We shall see.

I have never been a brand loyalist but I do think Specialized builds one of the best bikes on the planet for everything from TT to road to gravel to light XC to even enduro & DH. However as a company they have done some shitty stuff, but I want the best bike so…

Truly amazing technology on that bike, it will be interesting to hear how it compairs to the Epic Evo. Shaving around 200 grams from a damper seems very significant as well as the 350g or more from the XO1 mechanical conversion and xx1 cranks. I have personally not ridden the new transmission set up, but I hear it's worth the hype. I currently run all mechanical X01 and have no problems, just have to be mindful when shifting and putting power down. I guess I struggle with the whole battery charging thing.....one less thing to go wrong when running mechanical.
Kinda like fuel injection vs carburetor I guess.....whatever gives you peace of mind at the end of the day.
Good luck with the build!!

Reactions: jbell
My friend just got a almost new custom 2022 Specialized Turbo Levo EMTB with 20 miles on it. Has 180mm travel front and back. Said friend couldn't get this model bike out of head, he had to have one so we looked and looked and I found this on Pinkbike classifieds. A neurologist in Bend OR had won it in a raffle and he's a road biker so.... here it is.

We're going riding next week?! Glad I'm not riding alone all the time anymore.

thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: HPIguy
If you didn’t see it, we had tornados and severe weather over the weekend and it completely destroyed Bikefest. Sad time for many in the area and all those vendors lost tons of things that were at the event grounds.

Most trails are closed here now due to downed trees and debris. This is a pic looking across my fence to the neighbors behind us.
IMG_1038.jpeg

Looks like a war zone in my area.

• Wow
Reactions: steve123
If you didn’t see it, we had tornados and severe weather over the weekend and it completely destroyed Bikefest. Sad time for many in the area and all those vendors lost tons of things that were at the event grounds.

Most trails are closed here now due to downed trees and debris. This is a pic looking across my fence to the neighbors behind us. View attachment 8426686

I was going to send you a message this morning to see how y'all fared. Some buddies were there and said it was pretty bad. All those storms started over by us and kept rolling east.

Yeah, it’s bad. Never seen so much damage from straight line winds. I saw an update from the power company that they had identified over 270 broken power poles here.

Most trails are closed here now due to downed trees and debris. This is a pic looking across my fence to the neighbors behind us. View attachment 8426686

Damn! I heard Bentonville got some weather but I didn’t know it was that bad. I truly hope you and yours made it through safely with minimal damage. I am looking forward to a few of us meeting up for a ride soon.

Reactions: Rerun7
I spoke to my builder this morning and he lost a storage building with material in it. As far as I can tell Jasper made it ok. He hasn't been to my house yet, hopefully it's still there🤞

Reactions: missed
Hope it's all ok! We haven't been able to even get started. I'll be back out there in two weeks to do the pad prep.
I spoke to my builder this morning and he lost a storage building with material in it. As far as I can tell Jasper made it ok. He hasn't been to my house yet, hopefully it's still there🤞