• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bedding question

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I'm getting ready to bed my Weatherby Vanguard. I'm sure I relieved too much material around the lug and rear tang. I will be using Marine Tex compound. With the compound being thick, will it cause me problems? Also, I've seen where a lot of folks remove barreled action after several hours. They then trim a lot of the excess and then reinstall. Is this a good method or, should the bedding sit for 24 hours or so? I'll be using Forster inletting headless guide rods and tape up the action to stock. This is my first bedding attempt and watching lots of youtubes. Thanks for all suggestions!

I'm sure I relieved too much material around the lug and rear tang. I will be using Marine Tex compound. With the compound being thick, will it cause me problems?
How much is too much?

At any rate this case of “what’s done is done”. The bell has been rung. I have used a different compound and that stuff seemed like it would fill larger voids with no issue.

I assume you are putting in pillars while you are at it, correct?

Extra marinetex, no issue. 24hrs, just to be safe. Yes you can pull it faster, just allow full cure. Dont rush it.

As long as you down have baseball type holes, you should be mostly OK.

Removing extra material from the stock that will be replaced with the bedding compound will only make the foundation stronger and less prone to cracking or separation under recoil. I doubt you will notice the weight difference!! Def let it set for the manufacturer recommended curing time before separating the barreled action.

Got the bedding job done. I also free floated the barrel. It seems to have a little stress in it somewhere. The barrel has a slight bit of up and down movement when tightening or loosening front action screw. Since my groups shrunk by half, I'll wait a while and shoot it some more before looking for the stress. In back of my house I'm limited to 50 yards. 3 3 shot groups of my handload were under 1/4" with the smallest measuring 0.126". Before bedding and free floating I was getting between 5/8" to 3/4 " inch groups. Thanks for the help folks! (y)

Reactions: iceng