• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bolt action 8.6 blk.....

bobb3950

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2023
Indiana
So I have drank the Kool-aid and am changing the barrel of my Remington 22" 308 to a 16" 8.6blk.
I am interested to see how it performs.
It will, most likely, only be used with suppressed supers.
I have a 12" ar to shoot subs.
We'll see where this journey goes.

Sorry to hear of your choice, my Faxon 16" barrel was terrible quality, torn and galled rifling, some of the first batch ...but most early ones were that way... a waste of time and components.
The 3 twist is very limiting, and unusable for lead supers. And adds no practical value, but detracts from the cartridges potential.
I purchased a 6.5 twist McGowen with varmint contour and chambered it for the Rem 700, and left it 24"
It will complete with the 338 Federal, with supers, and shoot subs in the form of 300 gr match bullets very accurately.
No downside, no worries about bullet blow up as with the 3 twist.
With the 6.5 twist and long barrel one can achieve over 3000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy for hunting with cheap lead bullets.
200 grs at 2612 fps, 225 grs at 2481, 160 gr Barnes at 2800 fps.
There are better choices than the Faxon 3 twist...been there.

It's unfortunate that the Faxon 8.6 barrels have been disappointing since they put a lot of barrels on the market compared to others for 8.6.

Reactions: 45-90
Well, thanks for the doom and gloom, but I have 3 Faxon barrels, 1 .308 and 2 8.6blk and they are all accurate and good to go.
But that isn't the question of this post.
I am using a porq chop on my 12 " ar 10 and it is whisper quiet.
I have been using a Hybrid 46 on the 16" bolt action and it leaves a bit to be desired compared to the porq chop.
Instead of investing in another porq chop my thought was to put a 30 cal endcap on the hybrid and see how it runs.
My justification is this...
The 46 endcap is .5445 inches
The 30 cal endcap is .4060 inches
The "endcap" on the porq chop is .4060 inches.
If I were to put the 30 endcap on the Hybrid wouldn't that be basically the same as having a porq chop hanging there?
I am pretty sure it would be but am just chicken enough to need some feedback before I tried it.
Thanks for any thoughts.

I too have had success with my faxon 16", though mine is subs exclusively so far. It sounds like Faxon made some junk out of the gates, but hit their stride later on.,

Unlike the 300BO (which, in a bolt gun, can extract and fail to eject without lots of work to fix that problem - at least with a 700 as the base action), my 8.6 has been absolute titties. It is almost hollywood quiet and accuracy has been very good. I got it primely for running a thermal and taking very close shots at things I want to kill but don't highly prioritize recovering.
Someday I might play with supers, but that isn't the preferred tool for that task.

Reactions: bobb3950
Well, thanks for the doom and gloom, but I have 3 Faxon barrels, 1 .308 and 2 8.6blk and they are all accurate and good to go.
But that isn't the question of this post.
I am using a porq chop on my 12 " ar 10 and it is whisper quiet.
I have been using a Hybrid 46 on the 16" bolt action and it leaves a bit to be desired compared to the porq chop.
Instead of investing in another porq chop my thought was to put a 30 cal endcap on the hybrid and see how it runs.
My justification is this...
The 46 endcap is .5445 inches
The 30 cal endcap is .4060 inches
The "endcap" on the porq chop is .4060 inches.
If I were to put the 30 endcap on the Hybrid wouldn't that be basically the same as having a porq chop hanging there?
I am pretty sure it would be but am just chicken enough to need some feedback before I tried it.
Thanks for any thoughts.
I don’t think trying to shoot a 338 projectile out of a 30 cal endcap will work

I don’t think trying to shoot a 338 projectile out of a 30 cal endcap will work
Not with that attitude it won't...

I once told a guy that the first 50-cal round through his 338 can would make it a 50-cal can, he was not amused. But I mostly just try to amuse myself these days...

• Haha
Reactions: Judd