• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buy or build ?

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
So can't decide if I want to buy or build for what I'm wanting .
Options are , let a local Smith rebarrel my rem700 in 223
and tikka action in 308 with a 26in with a sendero barrel contour . Then buy the bell and Carlson m40 stock for both .

OR

buy a factory rem 700 varmint in 223 and 308 and just drop them in to the m40 stock . Then build my tikka as a fancy stainless gun .

My only concern is how good are the factory remington varmint barrels ?
Do thay group good with factory ammo and hand loads ? ( I load all mine anyways )
Will thay be able to group under a inch ?

Any ideas are appreciated, Thanks , chris

If you like to tinker with things, build

Not many options to rebarrel the .223 to. It’ll be fine as the same but with a better barrel or re-barrel to .223ai

The Tikka though… There’s plenty of options to toss around. Tikka’s accept off-the-shelf barrels so pick whatever you want your new barrel chambered in. Go ahead, be more creative than .308(there’s nothing wrong with .308, I’m just fuckin with ya).

I reload also so factory ammo is an afterthought but there are good options if you want

Reactions: cjmac1988
Remington rifles off the rack use to be hit or miss. I don't know how well they shoot these days.

If you like to shoot more consistent small groups have them rebarreled.

If you like to tinker with things, build

Not many options to rebarrel the .223 to. It’ll be fine as the same but with a better barrel or re-barrel to .223ai

The Tikka though… There’s plenty of options to toss around. Tikka’s accept off-the-shelf barrels so pick whatever you want your new barrel chambered in. Go ahead, be more creative than .308(there’s nothing wrong with .308, I’m just fuckin with ya).

I reload also so factory ammo is an afterthought but there are good options if you want
I really like the tikka action, I think it will make a good shooter . Just can't decide if I want to make it a pretty stainless rifle with a black stock or just black it out .

The rem action I just would like to have a lighter barrel on for the wife . Kinda like a 700 police .

I really want to build a 700 police in 308 but can't find a 700 action for a decent price

Remington rifles off the rack use to be hit or miss. I don't know how well they shoot these days.

The price I got to rebarrel the rem was about 800$ for the barrel I want in 223 .

Let’s see, two barrels for 800 each, a new stock for each, at least 400 each. We are talking 2400 and you still have what? A Tikka and a Remington. Now lots of folks here really love the Tikka. Remington has been hit or miss but they are now a new company with little information on how well the new rifles shoot. Sadly the Remington name has been pretty much destroyed by corporate raiders and they’re everlasting desire to make a quick buck regardless of the damage they cause. (Or the people they hurt)

So, I’m not a big fan of 308 but many are and have excellent results with it. I like the .223 a lot. Sol if you have investment in those two, keep the caliber’s you have. However, unless my math is wrong, for these prices, it simply is not that much more to sell what you have and build two really nice custom for little extra $$. And then have something that is not just nice, but can be really special. Just my two cents.

Basically neither. I've got a 2 builds based on Tikka actions, they shoot great but if I was doing it again I'd start with a custom action.

Possibly unpopular opinion here but if your going to essentially pull apart two rifles to drop into different stocks and keep the factory barrels on them, then why not buy something like a Zermätt origin with 223 and 308 barrel/bolt faces to drop in the M40 stock? It’ll save money since you don’t need multiple pieces of glass or stocks, granted you have to switch the barrels back and forth but it’s quick with the right tools.

I’ve got a TL3 and origin with the hunts lug with multiple barrels, so I just switch barrels or slap the other barreled action in the stock then I’m off to the races.

and tikka action in 308 with a 26in with a sendero barrel contour . Then buy the bell and Carlson m40 stock for both .

OR

buy a factory rem 700 varmint in 223 and 308 and just drop them in to the m40 stock . Then build my tikka as a fancy stainless gun .

Do thay group good with factory ammo and hand loads ? ( I load all mine anyways )

Choose whatever caliber and contour barrel you want... This would put you WAY ahead of building a custom on a factory action... And take that from a guy who has over a dozen customs built off 700 and Browning A-Bolt II actions...

I'm building a Solus custom right now with a @CarbonSix barrel that I've been waiting on since November 14, and have every part of the build, except the barrel... Hopefully soon. But the Solus is a really nice action for a great price. It's SUPER heavy duty...It's CNC machined from a solid bar of 416r stainless and has an integral recoil lug and 20MOA rail built into it. It has dual forward-facing gas ports, and it's already designed to accept both AICS and AW mags right out of the box. Some folks will shit on them simply because it's made by Aero Precision, but they have never actually even held or seen a Solus action in person. They are extremely nice for the price, considering most 700 actions will cost you about the same $600-700 for just the bare action these days. Then you have to pay to have it blueprinted. The Solus is already machined to specs that you don't have to blueprint, and you can even buy and install Origin prefit barrels right at home. No smith needed.

Kinda what I'm thinking , Rebarrel . I need bottom metal for the tikka tho .

That's about right for a steel barrel. If you would be happy with 1 moa then buy a new factory rifle.

I love the Tikka actions too.
Thinking maby a 1in10 twist , 24in that tapers down to about .850 at muzzle ?
Have it bead blasted to match the Matt stainless of the tikka action action

Reactions: ShtrRdy

OR

I'd never let a friend drop a single dollar into a remington action build, tikka for sure

I'd never let a friend drop a single dollar into a remington action build, tikka for sure
I’m the polar opposite…I’d sink $2k into a 700 custom before I’d own a Tikka. That mid-length action is retarded, and doesn’t work well with long action cartridges and magnums.

Choose whatever caliber and contour barrel you want... This would put you WAY ahead of building a custom on a factory action... And take that from a guy who has over a dozen customs built off 700 and Browning A-Bolt II actions...

I'm building a Solus custom right now with a @CarbonSix barrel that I've been waiting on since November 14, and have every part of the build, except the barrel... Hopefully soon. But the Solus is a really nice action for a great price. It's SUPER heavy duty...It's CNC machined from a solid bar of 416r stainless and has an integral recoil lug and 20MOA rail built into it. It has dual forward-facing gas ports, and it's already designed to accept both AICS and AW mags right out of the box. Some folks will shit on them simply because it's made by Aero Precision, but they have never actually even held or seen a Solus action in person. They are extremely nice for the price, considering most 700 actions will cost you about the same $600-700 for just the bare action these days. Then you have to pay to have it blueprinted. The Solus is already machined to specs that you don't have to blueprint, and you can even buy and install Origin prefit barrels right at home. No smith needed.
What stocks will fit this action?

What stocks will fit this action?
Any 700 short action stocks or chassis. It also uses 700 clone triggers that do not have the bolt release on the bottom.

I recommend this one…It’s what I run in all mine, and will drop down to right at, or just under, 1 lbs with a super crisp break.

Reactions: ShtrRdy