• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Harris Bipod "clip" purpose?

mikeinfwa

Que Chimba
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2002
Jacksonville FL
I have a Harris Bipod for many years.
Today i had to repair it after a leg fell off from nut backing off.

got it repaired successfully with a .30 cent lock nut from Do It Best Hardware.

While putting it back together, I noticed both legs have clip/clamps but I cant see any use for these clips/clamps.
HBLM.jpg

6"-9" Harris Bipods don't have them, both of my 9"-13" do. What are they for? Not a clue, springs never touch the legs, so I don't think that would be it.

My 6-9" dont have it. I'm interested to what you find out.

Looking at the Harris website the HBR (smooth leg 6-9 nonswivel), HBRM (notched 6-9 nonswivel), HBL (standard legs 9-13 nonswivel), HBLM (9-13 notched nonswivel) have them.

It appears that they are only present on nonswivel models.

Was curious too since I have an old one with clips. Found this from 2008 on ARF.COM:

"I just called Harris Engineering (spoke with Mark) and asked about said mysterious clips. He stated that they were originally used, when moved into the proper position, to keep the legs further away from the barrel/forearm when the legs were in the closed position and had nothing to do with 'mechanical' protection of the tubes themselves.

He also said they have not included the clips with bipods made in the past 12 or so months. He went on the say that because of bipods that had been returned over the years for service, the clips had not been moved from the original positions and that Mr Harris (may he RIP) himself made the decision to discontinue including them."

Reactions: spife7980
Was curious too since I have an old one with clips. Found this from 2008 on ARF.COM:

"I just called Harris Engineering (spoke with Mark) and asked about said mysterious clips. He stated that they were originally used, when moved into the proper position, to keep the legs further away from the barrel/forearm when the legs were in the closed position and had nothing to do with 'mechanical' protection of the tubes themselves.

He also said they have not included the clips with bipods made in the past 12 or so months. He went on the say that because of bipods that had been returned over the years for service, the clips had not been moved from the original positions and that Mr Harris (may he RIP) himself made the decision to discontinue including them."

Interesting.

When a caring manufacturer cares too much and nobody notices.

Whats wrong with you neanderthals.....

Reactions: MarinePMI
You mean HBLMS?
HBRMS is a 6-9 notched swivel. If so then interesting that the websites pictures anywhere dont accurately portray what they are selling.

Your correct HBLMS, too many letters for me to keep up with!

Looks like the mystery has been solved.

-
No shit,....LOL . . Never Knew what those clips were for . I been taking Harris Bi-pods apart for years and taking out leg springs and swapping parts and swivels around with different Harris models and I always wondered and could never figure what reason those metal leg-clips were put there for .

-
No shit,....LOL . . Never Knew what those clips were for . I been taking Harris Bi-pods apart for years and taking out leg springs and swapping parts and swivels around with different Harris models and I always wondered and could never figure what reason those metal leg-clips were put there for .

I just got thru looking at one of these Harris bipods that I had sent in to Harris for repair due to damage to one of the legs.

When I got it back, I too, was wondering about the function of those clips on each leg.

And here is what I discovered. Those clips have 2 functions.

1) If placed in the proper position on the legs (which is as far as they will go on each leg - where they run into where they will go up no further) and they need to be rotated on the legs so that when the legs are folded up, that the extended flairs (not the wings but the raised places) on the clips will be what the little squared off tabs on the body of the bipod hit/land on, so those squared off tabs will hit those clips which will take the blow instead of those tabs actually hitting the tubs of the legs and DENTING them - easy to see because the legs on mine had dings on them from the legs being closed without the clips being in the correct positions.

2) As was told in an earlier reply to this post, also by hitting that tab instead of the columns of the legs, it lets the legs sit just a bit further from the bottom of the firearm's under belly, thus keep parts of the bipod from hitting the gun.

And P.S. - The clips were not set in the correct positions when I got my bipod back from them, so maybe they do not know what they are for either.

Thanks.