• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ion Bonding Vendor Sought

Spartan-117

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2014
I am looking for a place to send a bolt actioned barrel and muzzle brake to be ion bonded? I sent an email to Evolution Armory in NH and asked them. They were the only place I could find. Does anyone know of a better coating/ surface treatment?

Last edited:
Springer Precision was an authorized vender for a long time. I don't know if they still are.

I am looking for a place to send a bolt actioned barrel and muzzle brake to be ion bonded? I sent an email to Evolution Armory in NH and asked them. They were the only place I could find. Does anyone know of a better coating/ surface treatment?
I have some Bighorn/Zermatt bolt actions that are DLC coated/treated. I'm quite happy with it. You might have an easier time finding someone that does DLC.

You should consider Birdsong's Black-T or Green-T coatings. I recently bought a TacOps rifle that uses it and it is pretty amazing.

Reactions: XLR308
The only option at this point is Fusion Firearms for IonBond specifically and I dont think they do anything other than 1911s.

Frustrating to me too that ClubCustoms access to an IonBond facility went away when that North Carolina facility closed. I have been looking for two years now.

So is there a difference between Ion Bond and other DLC?
Fusion charges about 50% more to do a 1911 than DNA does.
I don’t mind paying a couple hundred more if I am getting a better product.

Frustrating to me too that ClubCustoms access to an IonBond facility went away when that North Carolina facility closed. I have been looking for two years now.
Contact the I.H.I. Ionbond location in NH.
They actually have always been way better equipped to handle firearms parts and smaller lot shipments than the NC location anyway.
I ship bolts, firing pins, extractors, cocking pieces, mag latches and some receivers to them regularly.

If they will not take your parts direct, ask them for contact info to a shop that uses them. Should be easy peasy.

You should consider Birdsong's Black-T or Green-T coatings. I recently bought a TacOps rifle that uses it and it is pretty amazing.

Im curious about the durability of the Green T finishes.
I have read some of what I can find on the subject but many of the negative reports are from most likely the typical keyboard commandos I wouldn't trust any farther than I could throw Stacey Abrahms.
I don't recall ever seeing any Tac Ops rifles with any kind of serious wear in the green finish and I know they are meant to be hard use rifles.

Im curious about the durability of the Green T finishes.
I have read some of what I can find on the subject but many of the negative reports are from most likely the typical keyboard commandos I wouldn't trust any farther than I could throw Stacey Abrahms.
I don't recall ever seeing any Tac Ops rifles with any kind of serious wear in the green finish and I know they are meant to be hard use rifles.

The Green-T on my TacOps bolt definitely showed signs of wear after ~2k rounds and lots of dry fire.

It's been refinished after a little CLR accident, the new Green-T is darker then my previous finish. Not sure if the formula has changed, or if Birdsong has inherent variability in the color.

But it does fade with wear, or at least the ~2013 formula did. However, even when worn, the Birdsong still maintains it's lubricating and protective functionality.

The Green-T on my TacOps bolt definitely showed signs of wear after ~2k rounds and lots of dry fire.

It's been refinished after a little CLR accident, the new Green-T is darker then my previous finish. Not sure if the formula has changed, or if Birdsong has inherent variability in the color.

But it does fade with wear, or at least the ~2013 formula did. However, even when worn, the Birdsong still maintains it's lubricating and protective functionality.
That mirrors what I have read off of the applicators site.
So pretty much most of the negative I've read are from shit talkers or those with no first hand experience.
I was considering getting a barreled action done, the action is already nitride treated so had no intentions of getting the bolt done in birdsong.
Thanks

Reactions: kthomas
Contact the I.H.I. Ionbond location in NH.
They actually have always been way better equipped to handle firearms parts and smaller lot shipments than the NC location anyway.
I ship bolts, firing pins, extractors, cocking pieces, mag latches and some receivers to them regularly.

If they will not take your parts direct, ask them for contact info to a shop that uses them. Should be easy peasy.

Appreciate your response, it's like pulling fingernails trying to learn of a way to access their services on the individual customer end.

Reactions: Terry Cross
So is there a difference between Ion Bond and other DLC?
Fusion charges about 50% more to do a 1911 than DNA does.
I don’t mind paying a couple hundred more if I am getting a better product.
Ionbond is a type of DLC/PVD that the company coats things with. When I had an action done through Chad it was higher quality than some of the other things I've had DLC'd by others.

Ionbond is a type of DLC/PVD that the company coats things with. When I had an action done through Chad it was higher quality than some of the other things I've had DLC'd by others.

DLC definitely seems like a treatment that doesn't have a lot of tolerance for poor work practices.

I would be pretty picky about my DLC applicator.

Reactions: GenericBadGuy

I can't speak to durability as the rifle is new but it is slick and smooth. Much more so than any other coating I have run across.

I would be hard-pressed to believe that any finish can hold up well after prolonged repeated use. Nothing I have used a lot has held up well over time. Whatever finish AI uses is pretty good.

I can't speak to durability as the rifle is new but it is slick and smooth. Much more so than any other coating I have run across.

I would be hard-pressed to believe that any finish can hold up well after prolonged repeated use. Nothing I have used a lot has held up well over time. Whatever finish AI uses is pretty good.

Birdsong is a great finish.

Every coating/treatment has its trade-offs. One of the trade-offs of Birdsong is that it aesthetically wears over time, but otherwise it still functions Iperfectly. I'll take that trade-off any day of the week.

I like DLC as well. Doesn't seem to have as much lubricity as Birdsong, but doesn't aesthetically wear. It's pretty tough. But its also not forgiving if you don't apply it perfectly. My Mausingfield and Defiance are DLC'ed. The only wear I've noticed is on the lugs.

There's a lot of decent options, just please don't cerakote your action 😂

Reactions: Nik H
Original poster here.
I talked to NH's Evolution Armory and because they are not familiar with rifle parts, I agreed to email them some pictures of what I want coated/ treated they will give me a price. I went online and found some generic pics of the parts of a bolt-action assembly and will include them in an email along with some actual pics of my barrel and muzzle brake.

I'm a sucker for polished dlc as an alternative to cerakote, nitride or traditional bluing. Same as how some guys have a thing for sparkle bass boats. I just wish it was a factory option for Defiance and Impact.

I tried calling the NH Ionbond location, but no one picked up. It's unlisted on their website. I also called and left a message with the Saint Paul location on Friday, will post what I hear.

I'm a sucker for polished dlc as an alternative to cerakote, nitride or traditional bluing. Same as how some guys have a thing for sparkle bass boats. I just wish it was a factory option for Defiance and Impact.

I tried calling the NH Ionbond location, but no one picked up. It's unlisted on their website. I also called and left a message with the Saint Paul location on Friday, will post what I hear.

It was an option for Defiance for a minute - my current Defiance was ordered from them with DLC and polished rails.

It was an option for Defiance for a minute - my current Defiance was ordered from them with DLC and polished rails.
I know, they used to go through Chad at ClubCustoms. Chad used the NC Ionbond so those are primo. Problem was the turn around time grew too long.

Defiance is having their new Anti X Titanium actions done in DLC so they must have some sort of new coating partner. I emailed them, I was like I have no problem waiting if you offer it as an option again for other actions. A Ruckus or Deviant would be my preference.

I talked with an IonBond rep this morning over the phone. I understood that the NH site was closed. The NC site took on a contract for a large firearms manufacturer and because of the volume raised prices.

They referred me to ClubCustoms and Evolution Armory - both of which as you know are not an option.

I talked with an IonBond rep this morning over the phone. I understood that the NH site was closed. The NC site took on a contract for a large firearms manufacturer and because of the volume raised prices.

They referred me to ClubCustoms and Evolution Armory - both of which as you know are not an option.
Why is Evolution Armory not an option?

I called them today and left a message at lunchtime. I also send an email with pictures and await a reply. If they respond I will report what they said, if not then I will continue to look elsewhere.

Reactions: GenericBadGuy
I called them today and left a message at lunchtime. I also send an email with pictures and await a reply. If they respond I will report what they said, if not then I will continue to look elsewhere.
Palmetto Arms LLC will let me know if they can do a 22" barrel but said the Deviant Tactical bolt action is no problem for DLC. He doesn't use ionbond, a DLC brand name, because they changed their business model to favor large volume customers. His pricing is coming via email in a few days. The pricing on his website needs to be updated.

Palmetto Arms LLC will let me know if they can do a 22" barrel but said the Deviant Tactical bolt action is no problem for DLC. He doesn't use ionbond, a DLC brand name, because they changed their business model to favor large volume customers. His pricing is coming via email in a few days. The pricing on his website needs to be updated.
He used to claim to offer Ionbond. I dont know if I would just roll with any company.

Might try Fusion Firearms as they are an IonBond partner for 1911 parts. Not sure if they would do rifle parts.