• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Kicking around the .375 E to replace 50 cal. in the ELR-SR role.

Terry Cross

Dingleberry
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Alexandria, LA 71303
www.kmwlrs.com
Link to decent article on a possible 50 cal replacement already being discussed here.
I think at some point someone is going to question having a giant heavy action while getting the same performance as something smaller and lighter. I understand that there is an argument that the 50 BMG primers are more consistent at very cold temps but I've never seen data to actually back that up. Not that logic and reason have a damn thing to do with government purchasing...

BMG with a modern projectile has proven to be pretty capable even out to 2 miles. For real world applications, it would seem that the ability to swap between a monolithic and Mk-211 would be pretty useful. Honestly, a dumb version of the XM-25 round would seem to have a hell of a lot more merit in the field. At long ranges a round that can fuck up someones day with a close shot rather than a direct hit is a world of difference.

-Alex

Reactions: Dogtown and lash
The main advantage of .50BMG for a long time has been payload ability. Having something similar to Mk211 in a smaller bullet would be a priority before any rifle could even be considered, I would think.

The main advantage of .50BMG for a long time has been payload ability. Having something similar to Mk211 in a smaller bullet would be a priority before any rifle could even be considered, I would think.
Lehigh had a multipurpose round in 338 for a while so it isn't like you can't CNC a bullet and stuff it with whatever filling you want. Even an 833 grain 50 cal bullet like spotter tracer is marginal as a payload though. There is a reason actual HE rounds in 50 are essentially collectors items rather than a production round. Even in 14.5mm there really aren't HE rounds. With 20mm you get all the way up to 11 grams of HE which means the KE of the projectile is still probably higher in most cased than the explosive energy. That changes as you get further/higher/slower of course. Those aren't really made with antipersonnel in mind so with optimization maybe you could get a 20mm with a burst diameter large enough to be meaningful. I don't see anything in the realm or antipersonnel grenade that ever saw combat use smaller than 30mm though. The 25x59 is the smallest diameter long range shoulder fired grenade I can find and it never saw service. I wonder if something that small with a contact fuze is big enough to matter. Maybe the air burst capability was the only thing that gave it a practical use...

-Alex

Reactions: cuirc
Aren't the 338 and the 375 so close to each other capability wise that it would be wiser to go with one of them? It seems as if the list of cartridges kept in inventory is growing faster than ever.

Aren't the 338 and the 375 so close to each other capability wise that it would be wiser to go with one of them? It seems as if the list of cartridges kept in inventory is growing faster than ever.
Depends on the purpose/mission. I would say no in this application. Especially since we have more room to add goodies in the 375 for other needs.

Since the 338 LM performance is close to halfway toward the 50 cal; and still "comfortable" to shoot, They should leave well enough alone. The 375 would be maybe halfway between the 338 LM and the 50 cal , so I don't see the point. Certainly a 50 Cal can do things that a 375 no matter how hot won't. Don't screw with something that works just to keep the ordinance folks busy!

Since the 338 LM performance is close to halfway toward the 50 cal; and still "comfortable" to shoot, They should leave well enough alone. The 375 would be maybe halfway between the 338 LM and the 50 cal , so I don't see the point. Certainly a 50 Cal can do things that a 375 no matter how hot won't. Don't screw with something that works just to keep the ordinance folks busy!
Not entirely.

375EnABELER:
1000 Yards = 6.5 Mils
2000 Yards = 20 Mils
2500 Yards = 31 Mils

.50 Cal M33 Ball:
1000 Yards = 9.3 mils
2000 Yards = 35 mils
2500 Yards = 56 mils.

Given the same wind speed of 25mph under ideal atmospheric conditions the wind holds at 25mph are at 2500 yards:

375 EnABELR = 10 Mils
.50 M33 = 17 Mils

The project requirements are 2500 yard engagements. Which do you think would be easier on the shooter? Also at 2500 yards:

375 EnABLER = 1000 ftlbs Energy @ 1040fps
.50 33 Ball = 1100 ftlbs Energy @ 870fps

So the difference isn't very big. You can also see the velocity is starting to fall off a lot for the .50 cal. By Comparison at 1000 yards a 140gr 264 will have around 700ftlbs of energy. So the 375 still has a lot left in it. The rifles built were 28 inch to 32 inch vs the .50 Cal systems at 38 inches. So lighter, easier to move around etc etc.

And the .375 does it at a cheaper cost per round.

Reactions: Asgard1
The 375 has its merits for sure, but the 50 with a 750gr Amax or similar is a lot closer than M33 Ball.
You cant blame applied Ballistics for using hornady advertising tactics. After all the enabelr was designed shorter to fit into a standard cheytac mag to use optomized bullets. Unlike the bmg in standard mags. but if you optamize a bmg with 850 plus grain monolithic high bc bullets the enabeler will not even be close. But remember we are talking about military application in nato spect actions and mags .