• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

KRG X-Ray Chassis: Initial Review

Iggy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Northern California

I had the pleasure of seeing Justin of KRG at SHOT Show 2014. His Whiskey Chassis (WC) has always been one of my favorites. It's well thought out and the machining/construction is top notch. What caught my eye this time around was the new X-Ray chassis which is mostly polymer based.*While it lacks the adjustably of the WC, it makes up for it in price ($549 intro) and weight.

I've managed to get my hands on a pre-producion version, so things may change when the final version comes out, but let's take a look at the chassis.

First let's break down some of the features:
  • Uses the hallmark self-bedding aluminum "backbone" and trigger guard of the WC.
  • Tool-less adjustable cheek rest like the WC.
  • Adjustable length of pull via spacers, not included.
  • Vertically adjustable butt pad via removal and two bolts.
  • Includes bag rider/butthook that can be replaced with included MOE polymer rails.
  • Polymer for-end with spaces for included rails and bipod adapter, but also many available accessories.
  • Accepts AI magazines
My main attraction to this chassis was the weight and price point. I feel like this is *a game changer in the world of stocks. You can now buy a stock that accepts AI mags, is light, and has a generous amount of adjustment for $600. Normally these features would set you back around $1000, so that allows a beginner or someone on a budget more money to spend on a scope or ammo.

I'm currently using a McMillan A3 and like it for its narrow for-end, and traditional appearance with a vertical grip. All similar qualities to the X-Ray. My first step was to see how much lighter if any the A3 was compared to the X-Ray.

The A3 was weighed with the bottom metal and cheek pad. This more closely resembles the X-Ray because all those features are built in and I would need them to shoot. So we are comparing real world application weights and not just the bare minimum.

As you can see, there is a savings of 0.84lbs. Which you can really feel when you hold the rifle offhand.

A side by side comparison of the two. You notice the for end is a bit shorter along with the length of pull, but *they are similar in overall dimensions.

Taking the complete chassis apart shows all the pieces. The buttstock is in two pieces, but I could not get them apart. I'm sure KSG does not recommend this. This is everything that is included in the box along with the accessory rails.

Most of the chassis is polymer while the trigger guard and backbone are aluminum. *The trigger guard has a generous amount of room for aftermarket triggers as well. You can see in the photos below how much room there really is.

Here's a closeup of the backbone for reference as well.

The polymer for-end shares a lot of similarities to the aluminum version. There are many points for accessories and slots for a harris bipod.

The vertical adjustment bolts after the buttpad is removed.

There are no sharp edges on the polymer end piece. Like everything from KSG, it's top notch and very high quality.

Here is a comparison of final weights with my old setup and current one.

To conclude, this is an incredible chassis at a great price. While it doesn't have all the features of a WC it still has the quality and great customer service that KRG offers. I really like it because usually once I set my stock I don't adjust it, and besides it not being a folder, this stock is perfect for my needs.

I plan on ordering some length of pull spacers, QD cups for my sling, larger hand grips and a tripod mount when those come out. I'll hit the range and follow up.

If you'd like to get one of these contact KRG and get on the pre-order list. With the savings you can order 2 while you're at it.

[email protected]
720-432-1145

Iggy,

Great review and I can concur with every statement made above. The KRG X-Ray is a joy to wrap your hands around, like being in bed with a sexy lady. It is almost three pounds lighter then my old AICS with better ergonomics. Mine is off getting paint from ShortBus but I have already had mine to the range and not to hijack the thread here is what she did. First round was low right due to the change over and the next five made a nice little hole. I also run a Timney and HV barrel on mine so more then enough room. Bottm line, this is now my favorite chassis, and I have a serious chassis addiction.

Sully

Attachments

• 20140117_150302_resized.jpg
    20140117_150302_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,337
  • 20131130_121358_resized.jpg
    20131130_121358_resized.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 313
Nice writeup Iggy, very thorough. The buttstock halves are also epoxied together on the pre-production stocks. That's the one part that you can't disassemble. It shouldn't be too much longer before we have all the accessory stuff ready to go.
Justin

Is there any way to attach flush cups to the side of the chassis?

You can see on the rear there is a hole for a flush cup mount:

xray12-500x331.jpg

The "External QD Sling Cup" goes there: Welcome to KRG

For the front KRG is making an adapter for the front that allows ambi connections.

If you are taking about putting them on the front sides where the hand-guard is, then it's not possible unless you modify the aluminum backbone.

Thanks you for your comprehensive review, I have long been thinking of a w3 g4 but am fairly certain I am going to put money down on a Xray within the week.

The weight savings are very attractive and it's a well thought out system

Also Krg has superb customer service so can't wait to support them