• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

My Bronson was a German Shepherd. 125 LBS. I am thinking about an Anatolian Shepherd. I have experience with big strong Dogs. I would appreciate any input on the breed.

Working with our new pup and trying to reign in the biting. He might be 10 weeks-ish now. When he first comes out of the kennel in the morning he needs little corrections. Usually just a ‘tssst’. Sometimes accompanied with an extremely light fingers touch to his side. My wife and I are the only ones giving him the bigger scruff of the neck holds until he submits. After one of those he is usually good to go for a while. But often with my 5 and 3 year old he likes to play bite bite litter mate dominance games when we aren’t paying rapt attention. I have resorted to pretending like I’m not watching so I can catch him in the act and correct him immediately. If he bites them and either my wife or I walk up he reverts to perfect angel status. ”What, who me?!”

Does he just need more time or is there something else I can do? I figure after enough corrections he’ll figure it out and quit. But I just want to make sure there isn’t some simple thing I’m missing.

View attachment 8413246

He should be teething at that age, and as Haney said, he will somewhat grow out of it. When Lisl would do that I would stop her and firmly say NO BITING, while pushing her back. Sometimes pushing her face/head back. Many times a re-direct works better depending on their mood. While saying NO BITING, give him a toy to divert his attention from you.

I used positive re-inforcement for 90% of my training of German Shepherd Dogs. I have found over the years, that bitches are easier to train than the males. Their attention spans seem better, and they submit to second banana much easier than alpha males do.

OSGulJH.jpg

Qa06PhP.jpg

rpzJkGz.jpg

6FXJe6e.jpg

cjURgpC.jpg

AFcBJjS.jpg

I have read most of the posts about losing a dog. It rips my heart out. My Bronson doesn't have long to live. What an awesome dog. I'm sorry I am am losing it.
We are here for you brother. Bronson can play with all of our dogs on the other side when it is his time. They will help him out and he will have friends.

This was Lisl von Schlaf. She passed away on 05JAN24 in her sleep at 11 years, 3 months, and 9 days. I miss her dearly. She was my fifth German Shepherd Dog I raised and trained from a pup. She was the most intelligent of the lot, and I think a lot smarter than I knew. She was so easy to train she would have a command learned in less than an hour and never forget it. Excellent personal protection dog, knew basic and advanced obedience, agility exercises, and tracking.

Her ashes are sitting beside me.

4ME48Ja.jpg
What a beautiful girl.
My condolences on your loss.

Reactions: SauerKraut
I have read most of the posts about losing a dog. It rips my heart out. My Bronson doesn't have long to live. What an awesome dog. I'm sorry I am am losing it.
I wish I had better words for you at this time.

Watching out best friend decline is one of the hardest things there is.

My prayers are that, when the time comes, it is peaceful and you are able to be with him.

They give us their all and ask for so little in return.

My thoughts are with you.

Reactions: UKDslayer

Thanks for posting this. My time was RVN '68, '69 and '70. Our teams stayed in the same AO as combat units moved in and out. Our job entailed working with indigenous people. The entire time I was there the combat unit was the 173rd. I lived on two different LZs. One Bigade size and one Battalion size. There were a number of names spoken with reverence. Three were soldiers and one was a scout dog of the 39th Scout Dog Platoon attached to the 173rd. His name was Budda.

https://www.members.tripod.com/39th_scout_dogs/id20.htm

The indigenous that we worked with were, I'm sure, treated in the same manner.

Edit: I suggest you grab a couple of Kleenex if you take the time to read Budda's story. I had no idea the dogs were treated in this manner until several years after I left.

Last edited:
Does she have a Kong you can fill up with peanut butter?
She used to have one, but sadly that was back when she had the energy of a rabid alligator on cocaine and it only lasted two days. Going on 12 yo,
she's slowed way down.

He started out really light weight but tall compared to the German Shepherd puppy growth charts I can find. But he seems to be doing just fine. He has a ton of fluff going on, but when I wash him and can see what his body really looks like he seems lean, but nowhere near scary lean. He’s happy and has energy and drive so <shrugs>
GrowthTable2-956x1024.jpg

At 8 weeks he was 9” but only 8lbs
10 weeks about 11” and 12lbs
12 weeks about 14” and almost 19lbs

They were so fluffy they didn’t notice that the Dam had stopped feeding them and 2 of the pups died. He seems to be making a rebound from his low weight. But most places I look people seem to say those charts don’t always jive.

IMG_5143.jpeg
IMG_5169.jpeg
IMG_5212.jpeg

Here's #3...

This is the "compromise" pup... Where she said she wanted another pup, and I said I didn't... So we compromised and got another pup. 🙄

It's all good though... he exasperates her and when she's finally had enough he comes and lays down at my feet and behaves. 😂

Mike
1000000717.jpg